PDA

View Full Version : Passed, now I assimilated

powderpig
10-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Well I have joined the enlighten ones. I passed the tech test, will have my radio today, got the antenna a couple of days ago. Will mount it in the truck the next couple of days. I know I got to wait to transmit until I get my call sign, but I think it would be ok to listen to you guys chat on Monday or the next time you have your rag sessions. :thumb:
Funny thing was they wanted me to take the general test even though I did not study, funny bunch of guys. Well I got 18 correct on the general test. It made me think hard, but was nice to see what the questions may be like on the test. Now if I had read the prep book:eek:
Any how looking forward to working with 2m and 70cm stuff and the new equipment. Catch you all later Robbie

60wag
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Congrats. I've got my ham in the new rig and am trying to decide if its worth adding a cb or not.

Shark Bait
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Way to go Robbie! :clap:

nakman
10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Nice work, Robbie! Welcome to the club.. yeah they had a few of us go for the general too when we passed, I think I did about the same with 18 or so right.. Bruce missed it by only a couple though, IIRC..

I've been up at the house these last couple Mondays and not with the 80, so I've missed the last couple nets but I'll jump in this week for sure. Hey someone needs to update the triple-secret RS Ham directory now..

Uncle Ben
10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Congratulations Robbie! :bowdown::robbie:
:rant::zilla::kevin:

Uncle Ben
10-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Nice work, Robbie! Welcome to the club.. yeah they had a few of us go for the general too when we passed, I think I did about the same with 18 or so right.. Bruce missed it by only a couple though, IIRC..

I've been up at the house these last couple Mondays and not with the 80, so I've missed the last couple nets but I'll jump in this week for sure. Hey someone needs to update the triple-secret RS Ham directory now..

:rant: :banghead::dunno::snail::homer:

http://www.exposure.net/images/mw428/129/youth_aids.jpg

Romer
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Congrats Robbie

powderpig
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Kevin you are funny, with the old dinosaur in front of our 80. It really is fun, and has me thinking I could Ty involved with his wanting to know all that I do and wanting to follow in dads steps. He a quick study in some area's. He likes space stuff. There is no age limit to learning this(just mental vulcan mind block). Ty will pick up on some things, but not the others. I will have to talk to him and see if he wants to work on this some. If not I have a work book I could lend to some one if they want to take the Tech test.
Later Robbie

Shark Bait
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey someone needs to update the triple-secret RS Ham directory now..

Yes. Please make the fonts bigger for us visually challenged folks. :D

Romer
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM

x2

I won't be at the next meeting, Could you e-mail me a copy.:bowdown:

nakman
10-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Or perhaps someone from the south side could just download the file, go get the laminator, then knock these out bring me one at the next meeting :D

LOL at the :kevin: = :zilla:... :snail: :lmao:

Seldom Seen
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Congrats :cool: Welcome to the club. You'll be needing this link: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp. Select Amateur from the "Service Group" drill down, then plug in your last name and zip code in the "Licensee" area. I took my test at FRCC and IIRC I was in the data base by the following Tues or Wed.

Bruce Miller said that the key to good operation is, "Listen, listen, listen". Get set up and tune in. 145.145 is where we hang out on Mon. nights (@ 21:00) it's real informal. To hear more formal op's tune into one of the many "nets" that take place on the weekends, 147.225 and 145.340 mostly.

nakman
10-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Actually if you want to listen in to some folks tonight there's a Thursday night net on 145.310, I think it starts at 8:00. Has folks from all over Colorado (since .310 is on the repeater connection)..

DaveInDenver
10-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Actually if you want to listen in to some folks tonight there's a Thursday night net on 145.310, I think it starts at 8:00. Has folks from all over Colorado (since .310 is on the repeater connection)..
The Col Con net is pretty cool, I'll check in on that one from various repeaters if I happen to be out. The bulk come in on the Denver 145.310 machine, but I think hitting the other repeaters is sort of the point of a status-of-the-system net. Plus good to know which ones you can hit and from where.

Seldom Seen
10-18-2007, 04:50 PM
The Col Con net is pretty cool, I'll check in on that one from various repeaters if I happen to be out. The bulk come in on the Denver 145.310 machine, but I think hitting the other repeaters is sort of the point of a status-of-the-system net. Plus good to know which ones you can hit and from where.

X2 on that :thumb::thumb:

The ColConn is one of the coolest things about 2m and *should* be the 1st thing you program in. You can get a list of the freqs and tones from Nak's wonderful crib sheet. Another great resource is the CCARC's state wide repeater map, available at HRO for $3 or download the older version here: http://www.ccarc.net/images/CCARC%202003%20Map.pdf. If you are GPS savy I can send you a .gpx file the locates all of the repeater west of I25 by lat/long. I have my GPSr set so I get a pop up to let me know when I'm in range of a machine and it shows me the name, freq and PL of the repeater.

Hulk
10-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Way to go, Robbie! Which radio did you buy?

I'll work on the call sign directory in my "spare" time.

Convert
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Congrats Robbie :thumb:

Shark Bait
10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I'll work on the call sign directory in my "spare" time.

I can work on it. But I don't have the laminator. :p:

Hulk
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
I can work on it. But I don't have the laminator. :p:

It's in the trailer.

I was going to do it in Illustrator and make it look pretty. :D

ginericLC
10-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Congrats Robbie. I was looking at the 100 and the flip down deal by the sunroof is the perfect place to mount a remote head unit for a HAM radio. I'm still struggling to figure out where to mount a CB.

What I've found most useful about it is you can meet up with groups and chat with them on your way to the meeting spot from a long ways away.

powderpig
10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
well I really could of used it last night(the radio that is). We(the road association) had a grader work on road and Quest did not bury the cable that deep and guess what, the grader took out the phone line(meaning the DSL as well). But I have not set up the radio yet. Just got it last night from the UPS guy. It is a Yeasu 7800R. i believe it will fit my needs for the next couple of years. If it does not, I am pushing that Robin get her licence so that If I am hurt or if we have 2 truck in the future we can talk. I will be getting a hand held in the future as well. I believe the vx6r(Yaesu It believe the right number).
Thanks for the wonderful help and looking forward to talking to you guys over the radio waves.
Seldom I need to get more GPS educated in the future. My new ventures for work are having me learn a bunch of new things(like GPS, Ham and a few other things I am sure). I may have to get with the other Matt for GPS education or may be we can get a few guys together for a few nights to learn some more about this wonderful technology. Any how I want to put some trainings together this winter for trail leading and general trail safty stuff. Any how just putting thoughts out. not to highjack my own thread.
I am at a coffe shop this morning in stead of the comfort of my own home. I do hope they get the 1 inch phone line repaired(we are talking alot of bear copper laying on the road exposed).
Catch you all later robbie

Uncle Ben
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I am at a coffee shop this morning in stead of the comfort of my own home.
Catch you all later robbie

Gee....thanks for the call! :rant: ;)

Shark Bait
10-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Gee....thanks for the call! :rant: ;)

Now, if you had a 2m radio he could have called you. :D