PDA

View Full Version : If you could travel anywhere in the world...

treerootCO
10-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Where would you go?

I have only been on one cruise and I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun if we parked the Cruisers and had a Rising Sun cruise next year...just a thought.

The other idea was to buy a few expedition style rigs in Australia and get a group together. We could drive across the outback for a week or so.

Other than that, I was thinking of going to a tropical island somewhere exotic. If anyone wants to go, let me know. I was thinking it would be nice to find a beach somewhere and just soak up the sun and do nothing for a while...

I have been to New Zealand a few times and the last trip was a shock to me. Tourism has really taken over and a lot of the quaint little towns are more like resorts.

MDH33
10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Tropical Islands are definitely a good choice. Swimming in the ocean, surfing, snorkeling, bikini watching, pineapple and rum... has all the makings of a good vacation. I always opt to skip the touristy hotels. I would rather have a primitive shack on a remote beach than a 5 star hotel any day.

Australia road trip sounds cool. Lots of nice beaches there too.

:thumb:

farnhamstj
10-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Belize in high on my list. Followed by Iceland. Morroco is up there too. Hopeing to go to Amsterdam this spring. I've also wanted to drive to Alaska and take a ferry back to Vancouver and finish the drive back to Vail. I think it'll be an entire summer trip when the kids are a little older.
For anyone that doesn't have kids yet. Travel as much as you can before you have kids. 'cuse if you think you can't afford it now wait until you have to buy tickets for 4.

Uncle Ben
10-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Where would you go?

I have only been on one cruise and I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun if we parked the Cruisers and had a Rising Sun cruise next year...just a thought.

The other idea was to buy a few expedition style rigs in Australia and get a group together. We could drive across the outback for a week or so.

Other than that, I was thinking of going to a tropical island somewhere exotic. If anyone wants to go, let me know. I was thinking it would be nice to find a beach somewhere and just soak up the sun and do nothing for a while...

I have been to New Zealand a few times and the last trip was a shock to me. Tourism has really taken over and a lot of the quaint little towns are more like resorts.

Absolutely! And several of us happy campers plan on heading to the tropical shores of Buck Island and Spider lakes in June! You should come.....and bring your own land yacht!

treerootCO
10-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Anyone up for an Alcan trip 2009?

wesintl
10-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I'd want to go where most of the culture had not been eroded by world influences. Or at least not as much as others. Places like Japan countryside (not tokyo) china, vietnam, morroco and some other places in africa, turkey, etc. sadly there are none of those on my wife's list. Her's only has tuscany on it. Maybe if I knock that out she'll do the rest with me. Norway and sweden are up there too. Of course australia :rolleyes: Places close by I want to do are copper canyon and baja.

Hulk
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Tokyo is very cool, but in a completely different way from the rest of Japan. If you like technology, spend at least a morning in Akihabara (http://www.akiba.or.jp/english/).

I'd love to go back to Venice. Belgium is really cool, too.

I loved London, but if you've spent any time in a big American city like Chicago, it won't seem much different to you. The English countryside is another story. Bath was great. It was cool to see Stonehenge too.

Places I haven't been, that would be on the list:
NZ, Fiji, Indonesia, Singapore, Czech Republic, Thailand, Tibet, Patagonia, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Galapagos Islands. If I was really wealthy, I'd go to some of the places where the moneyed elite hang out, like Monaco, just for the helluvit.

wesintl
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh yeah... forgot. Hunting in argentina :)

Uncle Ben
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd want to go where most of the culture had not been eroded by world influences. Or at least not as much as others. Places like Japan countryside (not tokyo) china, vietnam, morroco and some other places in africa, turkey, etc. sadly there are none of those on my wife's list. Her's only has tuscany on it. Maybe if I knock that out she'll do the rest with me. Norway and sweden are up there too. Of course australia :rolleyes: Places close by I want to do are copper canyon and baja.

Italy rocks! We will go back in the near future! I also want to do Spain and Greece....haven't explored the Mediterranean much yet.

Uncle Ben
10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
The Baltic Cruise we took a few years ago was awesome! I would suggest it to anyone! Cruises are like samplers of of a large geographic area. You get a whirlwind tour of a location and then party every night with no clean up and a killer dinner thrown in! My wife loves Cruises because she feels it is a true vacation for her as the only thing she needs to do is get up, get dressed and enjoy life without worrying about taking care of the family. ;) That particular cruise was Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Talon, Gadnia/Gadance and Oslo. My least favorite place on that trip was Talon, Estonia. A sampler will let you know where you want to spend time and money the next time when you go really explore deep in some place.

Tokyo is very cool, but in a completely different way from the rest of Japan. If you like technology, spend at least a morning in Akihabara (http://www.akiba.or.jp/english/).

I'd love to go back to Venice. Belgium is really cool, too.

I loved London, but if you've spent any time in a big American city like Chicago, it won't seem much different to you. The English countryside is another story. Bath was great. It was cool to see Stonehenge too.

Places I haven't been, that would be on the list:
NZ, Fiji, Indonesia, Singapore, Czech Republic, Thailand, Tibet, Patagonia, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Galapagos Islands. If I was really wealthy, I'd go to some of the places where the moneyed elite hang out, like Monaco, just for the helluvit.

Tch2fly
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I enjoy "adventure" travel and the top of my list currently is India/Nepal/Tibet. The Taj Mahal is a must but the trip is really about seeing some of the more remote sections of jungle and the mountains of the Himilayas.

A close second would be a return trip to Africa, but instead of the Southern areas go the the Eastern plains (unless I make quick detour to Zimbabwe to rid the world of Robert Mugabe :rant:)

oh and I'd flat out move to Quito, Equador :D

Big-J
10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I would love to tour Europe and Asia, but Alaska has to be on the top of my list! I love the outdoors, so spending a few weeks fishing, hunting, hiking and all that jazz would be heaven to me!!

IanB
10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Oh yeah... forgot. Hunting in argentina :)

Hunt what? I saw no big game.

Argentina is for vino, lomo, mujeres y skiing! :thumb:

60wag
10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I'd settle for a week in Ouray :)

wesintl
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Hunt what? I saw no big game.

Argentina is for vino, lomo, mujeres y skiing! :thumb:

I didn't say big game.. Wing shooting in Argentina is legendary.

For big game they do have red, axis and fallow deer. Somewhat exotic species.:thumb:

bh4rnnr
10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Italy rocks! We will go back in the near future! I also want to do Spain and Greece....haven't explored the Mediterranean much yet.

I hope to be going to Spain, mainly Madrid some time in the Spring or early summer to visit the Girlfriend.

I want to get back to Ireland to explore some more. Would love to have a bit more time. South America is another place on my list. You know, gotta go visit where Butch and Sundance ended up:). Theres a lot in Europe, middle east, Moab Jordan especially. Then Aisia on so on.

Also wouldnt mind getting back to the big island and do some more exploring.

You just have to start somewhere and see where you end up:beer::beer:

baileyfj40
10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Alaska, been the three times two by road and one by air. Ready to do it again!

Later
Mike Koons
TLCA 5217
77 fj40 been there ACT 2001
89 fj62 ready
99 F350 been there the hauler

nuclearlemon
10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
anywhere in the world...i'd say the usa. there's a ton i haven't seen. but i'm not much for travelling.

Big-J
10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
anywhere in the world...i'd say the usa. there's a ton i haven't seen. but i'm not much for travelling.

This is true, there are quit a few places in our borders that are quit amazing that I would love to explore! I told myself I would see as much as I can here before I travel abroad.

Im curious, you isn't traveling not all that big with you?

Alaska, been the three times two by road and one by air. Ready to do it again!

Nice, maybe you can give me a heads up on where to go and what not! I have been trying to go for a while now and just haven't been able to go.

lfd270ben
10-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Australia or Fiji I'm torn

Chris
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM

This is true, there are quit a few places in our borders that are quit amazing that I would love to explore! I told myself I would see as much as I can here before I travel abroad.

I'm with you two, why spend a ton of cash on airfare, etc when there's so much to see here. Blue highways and off-road provides years of touring the US.

:cheers:

powderpig
10-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Then there is our neighbor to the north and south of us as well(then way south). Lots to explore there. As well I would like to travel through Russia, overland style via the Trans siberia route(if there is such a thing), back through China, into india, make a nice circular route. See more of the Asia, etc. Too many places for one person to see!!!!!!!.