PDA

View Full Version : My B-day present :(

FJBen
10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, saturday was my B-day...and I got the start to a beautiful day. I took the top off, piled the family into the rig and off to a friends/kids party. Making a u-turn into the park, I pulled a super slow turn in 1st gear, tapped the curb and

BANG!...I have no steering...Hop out and look under, don't see anything...look at my power steering box and it's hangin :eek: WOW...I really BARELY tapped that curb. Ride my bike to my friends (funny had the bikes on their because of the kid bike riding party lol) we ratchet the box down and weld it back on temporarily.

It looks like I've got the mounting pieces from so chevy vehicle and that was welded onto a plate. Well it wasn't welded good at all and popped off.

What are the best options to fix this? Add a new plate, get rid of that strange bracket and go through the frame with bolts/spacers?

farnhamstj
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
assume you got saganaw. I was very happy with btb's plate. Happy birthday also.

treerootCO
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Call Georg out in Fresno. He has the plates that Simon had when he was in business. (Same and the one pictured above). Orange45 on Mud...

I don't know why you are upset. Imagine if that failure had happened at highway speeds with the family on board. You should be great full it happened in a parking lot.

Uncle Ben
10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Man that crap scares me! Steering and brakes are life threatening and folks who really don't know what they are doing with a welder should not be tempting fate! If the plate is not cracked then weld it back on AFTER you tube the bolt holes in the frame and create some safety measures....please!

Well, saturday was my B-day...and I got the start to a beautiful day. I took the top off, piled the family into the rig and off to a friends/kids party. Making a u-turn into the park, I pulled a super slow turn in 1st gear, tapped the curb and

BANG!...I have no steering...Hop out and look under, don't see anything...look at my power steering box and it's hangin :eek: WOW...I really BARELY tapped that curb. Ride my bike to my friends (funny had the bikes on their because of the kid bike riding party lol) we ratchet the box down and weld it back on temporarily.

It looks like I've got the mounting pieces from so chevy vehicle and that was welded onto a plate. Well it wasn't welded good at all and popped off.

What are the best options to fix this? Add a new plate, get rid of that strange bracket and go through the frame with bolts/spacers?

FJBen
10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh I'm definitely glad it happened there, and not on the trail, or on the highway. I'm just mad in general...it's just one thing after another thats getting me into a funk.

thanks for the links, I have access to a fab shop here at work, and was thinking that we could make this fairly simple and free :)

any thoughts on this setup? It looks extremely similar to george's setup.

corsair23
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Call Georg out in Fresno. He has the plates that Simon had when he was in business. (Same and the one pictured above). orangefj45 on Mud..

Ben,

Glad it happened when and where it did Ben :eek:...I'm with you on the little (and not so little) stuff that keeps breaking and what not. Sometimes it would be fun if stuff just worked for awhile without requiring attention or the seemingly constant fix one thing only to have something else decide to break.

P.S. Hey Mike, Georg says to tell you "Hi" from him

FJBen
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
yeah it's extremely frustrating...top it all off, today now it's not shutting off :mad: grrrr...

the plate is fine, the welds just didn't penetrate at all.

treerootCO
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
diodes are your friend.

Go OE, that V8 stuff is the devil

FJBen
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
diodes are your friend.

Go OE, that V8 stuff is the devil

I'm beyond ready to go Troopy diesel...and I'm extremely serious. I love the power, but the feel just isn't there. The best part is that the wife is totally behind that :D

treerootCO
10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
here you go:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=180008

FJBen
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
here you go:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=180008

I saw that, it looks pretty solid. I would be all over it, but I have a certain 40 that has to move first. That basically is exactly what I want.

isotel
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Mine Broke loose at one point, and i decided to just rip it off and start over with a new plate, gerog's plate is pretty sweet! and he is a good guy!

i ended up running gussets from the frame down the the lower 2 holes of the box, but i think my Saginaw is mounted a little low compared to others..

And Happy Birthday!