PDA

View Full Version : Pie cuts to bend square tubing?

Rezarf
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Howdy-

I am going to give this a shot. I want to use some square tubing to make my fenders for my trailer. Will cutting a bunch of slits in the steel net a curve? I used this technique with wood before and I am thinking steel wouldn't be that hard?

What about heating the tubing up with a torch, would that be faster? Cleaner?

Thanks!

Drew

treerootCO
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Relief cuts would be better than bending. The tube will crush if you try to bend it. Another trick I have heard of is fill the tube with sand before bending it. The sand is supposed to support the tube and keep it from crushing.

Howdy-

I am going to give this a shot. I want to use some square tubing to make my fenders for my trailer. Will cutting a bunch of slits in the steel net a curve? I used this technique with wood before and I am thinking steel wouldn't be that hard?

What about heating the tubing up with a torch, would that be faster? Cleaner?

Thanks!

Drew

Beater
10-23-2007, 01:32 PM
root's right, section it, but not multiple cuts. and you will need to heat it. if you don't have a rosebud torch, you can use mine if you are victor. or bring it by
j

IanB
10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
You can get dies for bending square tubing.

beatdown83fj60
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I cut it on a bandsaw and weld it, but that's me. You can always grind the welds smooth and hit them with a flapper disk for a "one piece" look.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
10-28-2007, 04:19 PM
drew,
i have a 1" square die to bend if you need to use it.
you can come get it and use it up at Ians.

Rezarf
11-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Jim-

I might take you up on that! :D

SROR/AKA 2BAD
11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Jim-

I might take you up on that! :D

ask groucho how it works. we bent some roof rack rails last week.
y7ou can come get it and use it at Ians if you want.