PDA

View Full Version : Getting old...or not

treerootCO
10-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Had my health and cholesterol checked today and it turns out I am doing rather well since I swore off fast food the first of the year. The reason I am posting this is because all of us that work for a living seem to neglect our health at times. I don't dare post what my numbers were last year.

I lost 36 pounds since August 21st. Exercise and watching what I eat is the only real change I made. Stopped drinking pop sometime around July. 200lbs with 19% body fat. Down from 236lbs/67% :eek:

age 30......................anything over 25 means u r smart:p:
200lbs
6'
19% body fat.............7% is ideal for men
120/78.....................<120/80
resting pulse of 60
TC=200....................<200
HDL=49....................>40
TRG=124..................<150
LDL=130...................<130
non-HDL=4.3.............<5
GLU=141...................<100 might be elevated because I was drinking Acai juice.

I know I am a dork but I wanted to hit 200 so I took a pic the day I did:cool:

Man Jerk
10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I quit drinking pop over a year and a half ago. Not really for any health reasons, just because I was sick of it. Now once and a while I will drink a coke and just about go into convulsions from all the sugar.

As a rule I don't eat fast food. Disgusting nasty stuff. Once in a while if I am in a hurry I will break down and it is ok, but man that stuff makes my whole body feel ill.

Now all I gotta do is quit smoking and start eating more vegetables.

Good Job Mike! :thumb:

subzali
10-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Very cool Mike! I am already definitely feeling the effects of working for a living, gotta start hitting the gym again and stay on my bike!

nuclearlemon
10-23-2007, 04:18 PM
i used to care about my health, but then i realized all it would do is extend my life.

Beater
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
good on ya! I never drank non-diet soda, but I got sick of water. I now drink 3-6 cups of decaf herbal tea a day.. really helps with the hydration.

Try attacking your portion control. It's amazing what that will do. I dropped 12 pounds by doing that, and not increasing my exercise..

dropped an inch off the waist

treerootCO
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I forgot to mention that part. I drink 3-4 liters of hot tea a day. I went from a 38 to a 32 so far

Chris
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
age 30......................anything over 25 means u r smart:p:

If that can be cumulative I'd be nearing genius :hill:

Seriously, good looking numbers Mike I'm very jealous. Young guys are smart to tend to this stuff now otherwise you'll end up doing a whole lot of catch up when you get older. Don't ask me how I know. :mad:

I've changed my eating habits too, lots of veggies, low fat, low salt, low sugar. Obviously my numbers are nowhere near yours right now. I've lost 12 pounds in the last month when I made the big changes. 40 lbs in the last year and a half.

All I can say right now is that all my results better show improvements next check up!

:beer: :beer: :beer: <sarcasm>

Big-J
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Nice to see people are starting to look out for their health! I get upset when I see fat people complain about how over weight they are while stuffing a Big Mac w/ a diet soda down there throat!!
Fast Food is the devil!! If you want a good read, pick up a copy of Fast Food Nation. You will never want to eat that garbage again!!

timmbuck2
10-23-2007, 04:43 PM
In the past year or so, I went from 285 to 230...should be 220 by Thanksgiving, that is my college weight. If you know me, you know I am built pretty big and 220 will feel svelte. Went from a 44 to a 38, but the 38's are very loose. I actually went on a 'diet' where I cycled my carbs, and eat *anything* I want on Sunday. Lost most of that weight by last August, and had no problems keeping it off. I have a little guy to stick around for, that was my main motivation. Eating much healthier, and in the gym or playing sports even more than I was. The first time I went hiking with the little guy on my back, and had no problem with trails I used to almost feel like dying on...that was a little emotional. Awesome work Mike, keep it up!!

Timm

ginericLC
10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm in the midst of trying to give up Soda. I gave up Caffeine almost 3 years ago. And I know how smokers feel. Every time I see the red can I want one. At my peak I was drinking 9-15 cans of real Coke a day. I'm still at about 2 sodas a day but I haven't had one for 2 days. It has been tough. What has prompted the urge to give up soda completely? I gained 12 pounds in the last month. OUCH! Stress related eating and drinking soda. I eat in the middle of the night without even knowing I do it. All of a sudden at 2 or 3 in the AM I'm eating cookies or a bowl of ice cream when I should be sleeping.

I commend you for sticking to your diet. I've always been one of those guys who could eat anything I wanted and never gained a pound. The last few years that has changed. Mostly because of my body. I blew out my knee and I'm just not as active.

Anyway, I'm going to try to not have a soda again tomorrow. Your numbers have motivated me to try.

Gosh, we could all be on Oprah with our sob stories.

Inukshuk
10-24-2007, 01:00 AM
i used to care about my health, but then i realized all it would do is extend my life.

:doh::doh: If that's what's going to happen then count me out too!

treerootCO
10-24-2007, 09:18 AM
my dad always says, "everything in moderation including moderation" ;)

I have only had one heart attack but that was caused by lactic acidosis. I used to mountain bike a lot and that time I pushed myself too far at altitude and my blood became acidic.

Beater
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Health nut vegetarians are going to feel pretty stupid when they're laying in bed dying of nothing. ;-)

I eat badly, sit on my rear all day and have a lot of stress. It's amazing that I'm not a huge bloated disaster. But I also rode about 1,600 miles this year since March, more if you include the time on the trainer in Jan and Feb. Of course, now I'm burned out and it's getting difficult to stay motivated for the rest of the cyclocross season (ends in mid December). Everything in balance I guess is key.

I rode road and cyclocross for 17 years off and on. Usually put in 12 to 15 hours of riding AFTER I quit racing. I hung up my cleats 4 years ago, and I gained 20lbs in 8 weeks.

I probably eat 70% less between portion and carb volume.. just to stay at the new weight!