PDA

View Full Version : ARB group order

treerootCO
10-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Anyone need ARB parts? I have an order in the works and I can throw in more stuff if you wanted to save on shipping.

Corbet
10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Is this retail pricing? and just savings on shipping?

treerootCO
10-30-2007, 12:03 PM
no idea but the more we order the more likely he can combine the orders and give us a better deal. I am already paying shipping from there to here so that part will be lower but we still need to pay shipping from ARB.

I am buying 5 bumpers so far.

acon40
10-30-2007, 03:32 PM
count me in for a front winch arb 80 series bumper....I am about to order one anyway.

Romer
10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Ok I'll bite, so why do you need 5 bumpers?

treerootCO
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I was going to buy an ARB front for the front of my 80 but....Christo is trying to convince me to go with one of his front bumpers...

My bosses boss needs one for his FJC

John wants one for his wife's J**p Liberty

Mike needs one for his 80 (that he hasn't bought yet)

Hulk
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I was going to buy an ARB front for the front of my 80 but....Christo is trying to convince me to go with one of his front bumpers...

This is one sweet bumper from Slee:
http://sleeoffroad.com/products/images/front_bumper/sbb_1_450.jpg

Uncle Ben
10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
This is one sweet bumper from Slee:
http://sleeoffroad.com/products/images/front_bumper/sbb_1_450.jpg

X2! If the Slee Short Bus bumper was available when I set mine up it would be what would be there now!

treerootCO
10-30-2007, 05:41 PM
X2! If the Slee Short Bus bumper was available when I set mine up it would be what would be there now!

Would you like one as well? I'll buy you one for being cool.

Uncle Ben
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Sure! I'll give you your 1st mod for it! ;)

treerootCO
10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Sure! I'll give you your 1st mod for it! ;)
done

Shark Bait
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Well I want one, too. For being cool, and stuff. :cool:

treerootCO
10-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Well I want one, too. For being cool, and stuff. :cool:

I'll ask Christo what he can do if I buy three.

acon40
10-30-2007, 08:34 PM
what the hell....if you get a good deal let me know, but if the arb is cheaper thats what I want.....the best value haha.

nakman
10-30-2007, 08:52 PM
what the hell....if you get a good deal let me know, but if the arb is cheaper thats what I want.....the best value haha.

Since it's such a huge purchase, you should really consider what you want from your truck & bumper before leaping at this decision. The Slee bumper is lighter, has better approach angle, made for a wheelin' truck. The ARB is arguable tougher impact-wise, provides better side protection & animal protection. It's also heavier, but it has lights. ARB holds M12K, Slee does not, but holds Warn M8000, XD9000 and 9.5XP winches.

But now that Uncle Ben's in this, you want best value Acon? walk down the street and give :kevin: $1500 for his ARB + M12...

treerootCO
10-30-2007, 09:14 PM
one design element I am not a fan of on the ARB is the recovery points. I have no idea if they are even an issue but I know plenty of 80 owners that tell me to be very careful side loading their ARB bumpers.

corsair23
10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
one design element I am not a fan of on the ARB is the recovery points. I have no idea if they are even an issue but I know plenty of 80 owners that tell me to be very careful side loading their ARB bumpers.

Robbie told me the same thing Saturday while I was dragging Nakman out of the quagmire :). Said they are fine for straight pulls but not so great for side loads. In truth, those spots on the ARB are really designed to be used as lift points for a hi-lift jack.

For this reason I put my OEM front tow points/loops back on when I installed the ARB. The OEM loops make great rock "feelers" to boot :hill:

Shark Bait
10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll ask Christo what he can do if I buy three.

As long as you're buying. :eek:

corsair23
10-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Since it's such a huge purchase, you should really consider what you want from your truck & bumper before leaping at this decision.

Eh...Move around to the ass end of an 80 and you'll find the huge purchase :eek: :D

The Slee bumper is lighter, has better approach angle, made for a wheelin' truck. The ARB is arguable tougher impact-wise, provides better side protection & animal protection...

Don't know about the Short Bus bumper and how tough it is but I can vouch for the ARBs toughness (as can others)...Tough enough that a 60 rolling backwards into the ARB on Fin-n-Things at CM07 only left a small indentation in the top portion of the roller fairlead attachment area :thumb:

As Tim says though, you need to pick what fits your use the best. IMO the Slee bumper and the ARB are at polar opposites design and purpose wise. The Short Bus bumper wasn't available yet when I was shopping but I probably still would have gone with the ARB as my rig (unfortunately) spends 90+% of its time on the road and therefore the ARB was a better fit for me.

acon40
10-31-2007, 07:23 AM
You know, they both fit for me. I will do both styles. If the price for Slee's is better then that I will go with. If UB decides he wants to sell his setup then that I will take. I have looked at them both many a time and its dead even for both on the + and - sides.

Bruce Miller
10-31-2007, 07:45 AM
The Slee bumper is made in the U.S.A., the ARB in Malasia. The Slee bumper is made from heavier metal plate, 3/16" thick on the Slee, 10GA on the ARB. The new ARB bumper has no recovery points. Now that ARB is no longer made in Australia, the quality of their bumpers is poor. The fit up of the Slee bumper is much better than the ARB, so much so that a Slee bumper can be installed by one person. Not so with the ARB. The Slee bumper is a high quality product with welds ground smooth before sand blasting. ARB tends to skimp on their product cosmetics. Help keep an American worker working. Buy a Slee bumper.

treerootCO
10-31-2007, 07:46 AM
The Slee bumper is made in the U.S.A., the ARB in Malasia. The Slee bumper is made from heavier metal plate, 3/16" thick on the Slee, 10GA on the ARB. The new ARB bumper has no recovery points. Now that ARB is no longer made in Australia, the quality of their bumpers is poor. The fit up of the Slee bumper is much better than the ARB, so much so that a Slee bumper can be installed by one person. Not so with the ARB. The Slee bumper is a high quality product with welds ground smooth before sand blasting. ARB tends to skimp on their product cosmetics. Help keep an American worker working. Buy a Slee bumper.

done. :)

Uncle Ben
10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
The Slee bumper is made in the U.S.A., the ARB in Malasia. Help keep my kids working. Buy a Slee bumper.

Fixed it for ya! :lmao::lmao:

You sure know a lot about Slee's bumper! ;)

Groucho
10-31-2007, 08:41 AM
As is typical with many aftermarket manufacturers, product quality to price ratio goes down over time. All about the bottom line. If a Malaysian mfg co can produce ARB for as little as 1/10 the cost that an Australian mfg co can, believe me, it will be done. Does the customer see this price reduction on their receipt? Only if you count that the price of the bumper today is only a few dollars more than it was a year ago. ARB keeps more $$$(or spends it on retail markups and advertising/marketing) and only does very small price increases, where if the bumper would be made in AUS, the price increase would probably start to prohibit export. Does the customer see the reduction elsewhere? Sure does, in the lack of quality that came standard 5 years ago. By doing cost reduction moves(no tow points, weld spatter, thinner material, made in Malaysia) the bottom line can improve. But the customer is now only getting the name, not the rugged quality that built the bumper in the first place.
All this is done because we all desire the best product a the least amount of cost.

Guarantee Fairy (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Tommy_Boy&quote=guarantee.txt&file=guarantee.wav)

Groucho
10-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller
The Slee bumper is made in the U.S.A., the ARB in Malasia. Help keep my kids working. Buy a Slee bumper.

Fixed it for ya! :lmao::lmao:

You sure know a lot about Slee's bumper! ;)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Huh?

nakman
10-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Cool, learned something today. Ok get the Slee then, support your country, and your club!

but if you go ARB then x3 on what Corsair said about recovery points.. you gotta run (and use) the curb feeler loops for sure.

corsair23
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
After reading this I'm starting to feel "dirty" that I bought an ARB :o

Shark Bait
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Ok get the Slee then, support your country, and your club!

Wonder if we'd get a group buy discount? :lmao:

acon40
10-31-2007, 03:05 PM
ok, give me a price on the arb and on the slee hahaha

nuclearlemon
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
i loved the arb on my 60, but my 80 has one and it has "wings" that apparently fold up easily.:rolleyes:

Shark Bait
10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I grabbed this picture from the Slee site. Do you have to relocate the AC dryer?

treerootCO
10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
I think you can see it in this pic...

more pics here:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/bumpers/sof_shortbus_bumper_detail.htm

acon40
10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok, I actually sat down and read the thread instead of trying to sneak into the forums out on the sales floor (when you have 28 computers around you all hooked up it happens....who are we kidding, but I do leave the page up for customers to see ;) ). Anyway, I am in for a Slee. Arb is out as I want to support local club members.

Three Wheel Ben
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Yea, I concur the wings of the arb suck:eek::eek:

I've contemplated installing body shop loops in the floor of my garage to pull the bumper back down every time I get back from wheelin. It definitely doesn't like the weight of the truck set on it. Not good for fenders either.

Only thing I don't like about the slee is if you hit a deer you still have to buy a headlight.

Shark Bait
10-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Only thing I don't like about the slee is if you hit a deer you still have to buy a headlight.

Still looks like moving the dryer is probably a good idea. Any cheaper ways than what Nay showed in the JDM thread?

Hulk
10-31-2007, 11:11 PM
I installed one on my ARB front bumper.
80 Series Land Cruiser AC Dryer Skid Plate (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_ac_skidplate.htm)

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/skidplates/ac_skid_450_2.jpg

I welded mine instead of drilling holes and bolting. Looks cleaner.

I don't know if this fits the Slee front bumper.

Shark Bait
10-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks Matt. No worries. I don't have the $$ to drop on a bumper at the moment. :rolleyes:

acon40
11-04-2007, 01:45 PM
any word on a slee deal