PDA

View Full Version : Stupid money dependency...

Squishy!
10-30-2007, 06:44 PM
So I am (again) hard up for cash-o-la.:( :bawl: I'd like to do the 80 series coolant hoses for anyone who needs it done. I would need you guys to get your own hoses unless you want the Toyota one, cause that's all I have access to. I was thinking $175 for the labor to install the hose, but if that seems high I can come down a bit. Dealer charges (around) $300, but I don't know what Slee charges, so let me know.

The first one I'd like to do at my place so I have ample time to complete the job, but after that it'll be smooth sailin'.

Thanks guys! :D

nakman
10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
You're talking pesky heater hose, right Justin?

corsair23
11-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Maybe a silly question but does that include the coolant flush as well? Figure it is ALL going to come out when you are doing the PHH anyway so that would be the prime time to do the flush...Probably the #1 reason I haven't done the job yet, along with the fact that while you're in there replacing the starter contacts makes sense, as does replacing the other hoses, replacing the T-stat, and so on and so forth :)

Reasons for having the PHH done for me rather than doing it myself is (1) unlikely I will ever, ever, ever have to do it again so learning how to do it won't pay off down the road (2) not having to deal with coolant disposal is a plus

How much would you add to the bill to do the starter contacts at the same time? As I understand it you pretty much need to remove the starter to gain access to the PHH so if you haven't replaced your contacts that is the time to do it :thumb:

Oh, and to add to Tim's question, is this for just the PHH or for all coolant hoses? There are two FHH (firewall heater hoses) as well not to mention the radiator hoses.

Squishy!
11-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Tim, ya that's for the PHH.

Jeff, that is just for the PHH. There really isn't any other reason to replace the others unless you see them leaking fluid. Starter contacts wouldn't be too big an issue, but it'll cost a little extra, T-stat, I wouldn't bother. They just don't fail enough to replace it until it does. I'm not a fan of doing the coolant flushes without the fancy flush machines. It makes a big mess, it's not efficient, and it's difficult. Personally, the $150 (ish) to have a dealer flush your system is just about the best 150 you can spend at a dealership.

Beater
11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
contact me padawan... I have tasks for you.

Squishy!
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Hooray, Obiwan! Tasks! :bowdown: :beer2:

Squishy!
11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Btw... I Like Timing Belts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rzeppa
11-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Btw... I Like Timing Belts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Some Toyotas, maybe. VW 1.8 turbo, pull the head. Subaru (co-worker's) had to pull the whole motor. OTOH my ex's Metro was a 1/2 hour job, as is a Toyota 1HZ diesel timing belt, super-accessible.

Man I love my F and 2Fs that have gears instead of belts or chains!! Not to mention the associated guides and tensioners...No stretching or loosening, wear is around the same as cam and mains. 200-300k between rebuilds.

Downside to pushrods vs OHCs is inherent power and MPG inefficiency, prolly all works out in the end :-) Happy Cruisin'