PDA

View Full Version : cut my bumper!

subzali
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Anybody want to help me out with cutting off my front bumper this Sunday? I don't think I will be able to unbolt it cause it's all bent up. Might need a torch :weld: or some other kind of metal persuading device, which I don't have.

Red_Chili
11-01-2007, 12:39 PM
If you can come by Sunday evening early-ish, I might be able to put the plasma cutter to it. Worked on Wes' hitch. :lmao:

PM me.

wesintl
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I thought you had a tube bumper :confused:

Beater
11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I have a soccer game and party most of saturday - but no plans other than that. If you can come early, like 8am on saturday I can get u cut up, I have no idea what the wife has planned for me on sunday

subzali
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
It is a tube bumper, but it's coming off. Thanks for the offers guys, but I just got a wild hair to go do something on Sunday, not sure when I'll get back. Bill, I will try to get in touch with you Sunday early evening-ish and see where we're at. Thanks!

MDH33
11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Do you already have a replacement bumper?

subzali
11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
No, but I figure I should get the process started :D Turkey day's my deadline because I'm going to Moab and would like to have the bumper and winch mounted. Dual batts can come later, but I want to get at least this far, and time is starting to run out fast!

wesintl
11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
get yourself some c channel and a piece of plate.

subzali
11-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks again Bill! Step by step getting the banes of my existence out of my life and off of my truck! :D

Now I'm just waiting for a new front bumper, gotta get a couple frame gussets (mine are missing...go figure), got my winch all put together and tested last night, gotta get a couple c-clips for the fairlead and some new mounting hardware and it's gonna be sweet! :D

Red_Chili
11-06-2007, 08:35 AM
No worries.
The burning plastic smell, by the way, was my shoe! :lmao:

farnhamstj
11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Pic?

subzali
11-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Of the cut bumper? Or the new one?

farnhamstj
11-11-2007, 07:06 PM
sure.

subzali
11-12-2007, 07:41 AM
He he...first one next to a '78 FJ40 in my apartment complex. Hopefully the owner, Reuben, will come to next month's meeting :thumb: He should fit in, he's also got a locked :flamingo: truck :D

As far as the cut bumper, I'm SO glad that it's off (it's like getting a heinous bodily growth removed) - I can breathe easy now knowing that it's just riding in the back of the truck waiting for its turn to go down to the scrapyard.

Red_Chili
11-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Or did you want a pic of the shoe?

subzali
11-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Yeah I was wondering about that too :lmao:

MDH33
11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Looks great! It reminded me that I need to get my PTO installed before winter...:rolleyes:

Rezarf
11-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Matt I wouldn't have recognized your rig bud! Man, it is looking awesome! Keep it up. It is amazing how clean a new part looks on an old rig! :D

wesintl
11-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Ne bumper and hardware look great Matt. It'll be fund to test it out in moab. Hopefully you won't need to winch :D

Hulk
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Looks really good. Now you need to paint the frame black to match the fresh paint on the bumper.

corsair23
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Looks good Radar - good choice :thumb:

Did you have as much fun as I did hoisting your winch into position to bolt it on? :hill:

Uncle Ben
11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Looks good Radar - good choice :thumb:

Did you have as much fun as I did hoisting your winch into position to bolt it on? :hill:

Pull the cable! Your lower back will thank you!

x2 or Radar kudos.... ;)

Uncle Ben
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Looks really good. Now you need to paint the frame black to match the fresh paint on the bumper.
Or get the bumper muddy! :thumb:

subzali
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Or get the bumper muddy! :thumb:

That was gonna be my preferred option :D

As far as lifting the winch into place - I shoulda mounted the winch on the bumper and then lifted the bumper onto the frame - it would have been easier as the bumper's weight is on the frame while you fiddle with the bolts rather than having to hold up the heavy winch with one hand while trying to thread bolts with the other.

Actually I pulled up to a curb, slid my spare under the bumper, and laid a tire chain on top of the tire and set the winch on top of that so I just had to do a little finagling to get the first bolt threaded. Worked pretty well, but def. should have done it the other way. Or maybe I should try to start lifting weights again ASAP :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and it wasn't really a complete winch when I got it (per Corsair's comment a couple weeks ago) - I had to replace the plug for the winch control as the wires were all corroded :D

corsair23
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Actually I pulled up to a curb, slid my spare under the bumper, and laid a tire chain on top of the tire and set the winch on top of that so I just had to do a little finagling to get the first bolt threaded. Worked pretty well...

Pretty ingenious but we expect nothing less from a CSM grad :cool:

I did the "straps from the rafters in the garage" trick...Worked well when I installed my sliders, ARB w/winch, and Slee rear bumper on the 80 so figured it would work with the 8274 on the 40...It did, sort of :rolleyes:

Looking back on it, yeah it would have been even easier had I taken the cable off like UB suggested and mounted the winch to the bumper first like you thought about. :hill:

subzali
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
My problem is that I just kinda do things and make it work as I go instead of thinking it through first...hopefully that doesn't cross over to what I do at work :o. I just don't really have the means right now for anything fancy - I like your straps in the rafters idea, but alas I'm working outside on a street curb basically :bawl:

I need a garage :bawl: :(

And oh yeah I forgot about unspooling the winch :doh:

corsair23
11-12-2007, 05:09 PM
My problem is that I just kinda do things and make it work as I go instead of thinking it through first...

My approach as well sometimes, when I'm not overly analyzing something :D

I need a garage :bawl: :(

You know where I live so if you're ever in a pinch and need somewhere to work let me know. Although you have seen the space you'd have to work in :hill:. You need a garage, I need a storage unit...Or a big dumpster :thumb:

subzali
11-13-2007, 07:47 AM
It's fun seeing the changes - this is what it looked like last winter - major cosmetic changes are diamond plate, fiberglass cap, front bumper (bashed in by Cruise Moab :D), bezel painted better w/clearcoat.

subzali
11-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Might as well continue in this thread: you guys running 8274 or similar (front mount): Are there any good ways of securing your winch so nobody can steal it? I've heard stories. All you really have to do is remove the fairlead (pretty easy) and take four bolts off and you're home free with mine. Or is this not common enough to worry about?

Red_Chili
11-13-2007, 10:27 AM
You can weld a cap over one or more bolt heads. They need a grinder to steal it then.

corsair23
11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
you guys running 8274 or similar (front mount): Are there any good ways of securing your winch so nobody can steal it? I've heard stories. All you really have to do is remove the fairlead (pretty easy) and take four bolts off and you're home free with mine. Or is this not common enough to worry about?

When my 8274 was on my '76 the PO had spot welded (edit: I guess it is called "tack" welded :)) the two upper bolts to the bumper. Definite theft deterrant but it also made it a huge PITA to get the winch off when I went to do so. Of course they could just steal the whole bumper with winch attached :rolleyes:

Anyway, I went with one of these when I moved the 8274 to the '74:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/door/104.html

Got it from SOR way back when...Not sure who might carry them locally. Should deter the lazy thief, not sure if it would deter a determined thief though :confused:.

Rezarf
11-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I use that little box thing over the bolt. My winch hasn't left my rig yet.

I did mount my winch then the bumper/winch combo, w/o any cable, it was still a heavy combo.

Looking Good bud!

Drew

Uncle Ben
11-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I use that little box thing over the bolt. My winch hasn't left my rig yet.

I did mount my winch then the bumper/winch combo, w/o any cable, it was still a heavy combo.

Looking Good bud!

Drew

If your worried you can easily just tack weld the bolt heads down too. Fairly easy to grind and free but not without making some noise!

farnhamstj
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Welding the bolts is a bad idea from what I understand. Heat is bad for the strength of the bolts. Better to weld a c-channel piece over one of the heads. If someone is willing to steal your winch they'd just steal you truck.

Uncle Ben
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Welding the bolts is a bad idea from what I understand. Heat is bad for the strength of the bolts. Better to weld a c-channel piece over one of the heads. If someone is willing to steal your winch they'd just steal you truck.
A tack is hardly overheating a bolt! But then again I haven't seen your welding skilz... :eek::homer:

Rezarf
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I bought one of those bolt covers in my pre-welder days.

subzali
11-14-2007, 07:26 AM
The bolts in the 8274 are in compression when the winch is in use, so I'm not too concerned about that. I like the idea of welding a washer or something round on the head...anyone willing to help me with that? Probably be next week...

subzali
08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks great! It reminded me that I need to get my PTO installed before winter...:rolleyes:

Just came across this thread again - it's been two years!?

Ne bumper and hardware look great Matt. It'll be fund to test it out in moab. Hopefully you won't need to winch :D

Yup, definitely needed it :o

One thing I just thought of, maybe the only thing I don't really like about this bumper now that I've had it for 2 years, is the way the hoop extends forward. The problem I am having with this is that there is no good way, that I can tell, to use a hi-lift to lift up the front of the truck using this bumper because of this hoop. Oh well, it serves other good purposes, but probably something to consider if someone else is looking at this bumper.

That and I had to grind one of the shackle mounts just a tad to get shackles to fit over it, and the powdercoat is coming off in some places...but those are NBD...

corsair23
08-20-2009, 03:51 PM
One thing I just thought of, maybe the only thing I don't really like about this bumper now that I've had it for 2 years, is the way the hoop extends forward. The problem I am having with this is that there is no good way, that I can tell, to use a hi-lift to lift up the front of the truck using this bumper because of this hoop. Oh well, it serves other good purposes, but probably something to consider if someone else is looking at this bumper...

First off...I was wondering why you were cutting off your "new" bumper and how you bent it all up? Then I saw the date :hill:

I was then :confused: reading the above, thinking the bumper is flat on the bottom so I was like duh....:)

But then I realized what you were saying and that because of the forward "lean" of the tube, you can't get the hi-lift flush with the lower part of the bumper...Hadn't thought of that...

I wonder though if the Jac-Kof tool would work on the top hoop? Might have to try it sometime...

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/recovery/rec1043_450-1.jpg

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_jackof_detail.htm

subzali
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
i was kinda wondering the same thing...might be something worth getting sometime. In the mean time I got an OEM bottle jack that I can used to at least get a tire off the ground...

RicardoJM
08-20-2009, 04:12 PM
In the mean time I got an OEM bottle jack that I can used to at least get a tire off the ground...

I was researching duck tape repairs on the internet and found an article that says green OEM bottle jacks don't work - you better get Slee's tool.:hill:

subzali
08-23-2009, 08:04 PM
lol...