PDA

View Full Version : move. To I'd? Y or y not

acon40
11-02-2007, 11:25 PM
so I think I might be offered a chance at two prmotions to pick from at work. One will be a bump up in boulder and one would be a bump up to Sydney. Same job but different pay scales I am sure. But I think I'd has more faction laws or somethhing I am told. What would you guys do.... And yes you would get parts sent hahaha

Sorry for the typos as I was really tired.

60wag
11-03-2007, 07:35 AM
For me, the decision would be impacted a great deal by my family. Moving my wife and kids from an established job, school and friends would be tough. If the decision just involved me, I'd go to Sydney in a heartbeat.

Beater
11-03-2007, 09:26 AM
My .02 - If I had the chance to move my family to a "civilized" country other than the us, I would jump on it. Being exposed to another viewpoint besides "the american way" was an amazing and critical part of my upbringing, and it didn't happen til I was 18.

It would be difficult, but it would be well worth it, for you and them.

If it's for you, move.

Romer
11-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Sydney is a great place but very expensive to live. You might want to consider how much house you can get there vs here. I would also want to make sure they would move me back.

I loved Australia and if I had to go live somewhere else, that might be it.

But, I love Colorado more so I would be happy to visit or take an extended work assignment, but for me Colorado is home.

Hulk
11-03-2007, 12:14 PM
If I was in my 20s with no wife and kids, I'd go to Sydney in a heartbeat. Seems like the opportunity of a lifetime. Even married with no kids, I'd probably go.

It would be a harder decision now with the kids. I still might go for it. When you get back, nothing here will have much changed, but the things you've learned and enjoyed in another country will be deep and meaningful.

bskey
11-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Go to Sydney! With or without kids, it will be an experience you wont regret. Be sure that you wont suffer financially though. I was moved all around the world as a kid and I credit that for a lot of the character traits that I have that I am proud of. You can always come back to Colorado!

acon40
11-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, we are in our 20's so why not. So we think is would be a good move. Moving expenses would be paid for by the company and I am thinking I will be there for 2 to 5 years before coming back to the states. (Unless we stay). It would be a experience and I am going to see if the offer pans out. We would just rent our house here until we knew for sure if we were going to stay or move.