PDA

View Full Version : some cool stuff we did at work..

nakman
12-01-2005, 10:20 AM
It's not often that I get to share what we work on, but this is a case where the parts we made went right to a trade show (SEMA), and were released publically. So while I can't tell you what we're doing for Gambro, or Mesa Labs, or Fab Fours (http://www.fabfours.com/), well actually I could tell you about Fab Fours since those parts went to SEMA too, but the main deal I wanted to share is what we did for VW/Audi.

Anyway if you want to waste a couple minutes check out this web page that I wrote, where there are many links to other VW forums with other pictures. http://www.protogenic.com/Volkswagen_uses_Sintered_Nylon.aspx Pretty big deal for us to get such a high profile gig, hoping this is the first of many!

edit: Ok here's a picture with some of the parts labeled. :)

wesintl
12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
me don't read.... but I'll take a vw grill :D

Uncle Ben
12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
It's not often that I get to share what we work on, but this is a case where the parts we made went right to a trade show (SEMA), and were released publically. So while I can't tell you what we're doing for Gambro, or Mesa Labs, or Fab Fours (http://www.fabfours.com/), well actually I could tell you about Fab Fours since those parts went to SEMA too, but the main deal I wanted to share is what we did for VW/Audi.

Anyway if you want to waste a couple minutes check out this web page that I wrote, where there are many links to other VW forums with other pictures. http://www.protogenic.com/Volkswagen_uses_Sintered_Nylon.aspx Pretty big deal for us to get such a high profile gig, hoping this is the first of many!

edit: Ok here's a picture with some of the parts labeled. :)

That's very cool Tim! Congradulations!

treerootCO
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
sweet! :D

I need to call the Vice President of Business Development guy about an LV parts quote :)

Rzeppa
12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Actually you are more than welcome to talk about what Protogenic has done on my project at Mesa. The product has been on our web site for a while now, even though sales and marketing are just starting to gear up the big launch.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Protogenics, they do quick prototyping of mechanical parts. The process we use them for is call SLA, or stereolithography, kind of like printing in 3-D. It starts out with a 3D CAD file, which they feed into their laser SLA machine. At the bottom of the machine is a pool of liquid, which cures when you shoot a UV laser at it. The laser shoots where the part you are building is supposed to be, a tiny layer at a time. After each tiny layer, the support lowers a tiny bit deeper in the pool to add to the height of the part. When it's all done, you then have a 3D prototype of the part.

After the part is "grown" they can then make a mold out of RTV, and using the mold they can cast more parts out of polyurethane.

The huge advantage of it is that it is much faster and cheaper than having a complex part prototyped by machining it. You get the parts in your hand and see how they will fit together first hand, and a lot of times you discover where you need to tweak things a little before you have your injection mold tooling made. Subtle things can become apparent that were not easy to notice in the CAD drawings and models.

The product below is a prototype of our new instrument that measures temperature, conductivity, pressure and pH. Technicians use instruments like these to calibrate dialysis machines such as the ones that are made by Gambro, where Scott Yoder works. The enclosures on this prototype were made by Protogenic, and designed by yours truly.

Groucho
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM

What did you do? We are doing a couple of cool things for FF at work, too. RJ is a pretty cool guy.

74fj40
12-01-2005, 08:02 PM
looks super sweet :cool:

nakman
12-01-2005, 08:15 PM
What did you do? We are doing a couple of cool things for FF at work, too. RJ is a pretty cool guy.
Wow, small world! We made some of the plastic light surrounds that slide inside the bumper. One round of prototypes, then some cast parts they used at SEMA because their production lights weren't in in time..

Groucho
12-02-2005, 07:14 AM
For the Dodge and Chevy, as well as dana 44 and dana 60 diff covers. We also may be making the front winch bars at some point :D .

Red_Chili
12-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Man, you folks do fun stuff.

All I do is schlep bits around. And attend meetings, fill out forms, send emails, export data, train people who are hard to train, then do it all again cuz I love it so much...

IanB
12-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Man, you folks do fun stuff.

All I do is schlep bits around. And attend meetings, fill out forms, send emails, export data, train people who are hard to train...

Lol ditto. IT is so boring, but it pays the mortage.

farnhamstj
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Lol ditto. IT is so boring, but it pays the mortage.
add skis to the equation and it sounds a lot like my job. Training 4 new people tomorow. Wish I got to make cool stuff.

wesintl
12-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Farnham.. Which shop are you at again... I keep meaning to stop in and say hello when I'm skiing out there? lionshead or vv?

my skiis need a tune too... and I trust very few with my boards. :eek: