PDA

View Full Version : Post Thanksgiving day Run 11/23-Old Chinaman Gulch

JadeRunner
11-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Friday November 23rd.

Lets plan to leave the Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village on HWY 285 at about 9:30am. This is 2 hours from Denver so plan to leave early. Air down, fuel up etc. at the truck stop, so we can get going.

Bring tools and spare parts in additional to the standard supplys in case the rocks find a weak spot on your rig.

Armor, skid plates and skill will be your best defense for this trail, it's easy to get into trouble on the optional obstacles (which I usually do). It's tons of fun, pleanty of technical spots to test driver skill to make you either look like a superstar or chump. :thumb:

Red_Chili
11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I might be able to make that. It will be the shakedown offroad run for the rebuilt Chili. I'm sure I will find some 'opportunities', as they say in software...

Jacket
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Hmmm - my pops will be here. Maybe he'd like to come along to OCG and leave the ladies to the after Thanksgiving retail zoo.

Crash
11-09-2007, 07:26 PM
A possibility for us as well, Scott. I'm in the middle of swapping in an Extreme A440F and a new, low stall speed torque converter, as well as rebuilding the transfer case in the 62. If all goes well and according to plan, we'd like to join you.

Nay
11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Maybe...

Definitely in the "want to" box that is full of things that I want to do. The "in" port is much larger than the "out" :(

JadeRunner
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
It will be great if all you guys make it. I can invision a very nice line-up skilled wheelers.

ScaldedDog
11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Can't commit yet, but very interested...

Mark

Crash
11-11-2007, 11:20 PM
It will be great if all you guys make it. I can invision a very nice line-up skilled wheelers.

Scott,
Got the new tranny and torque converter in today with mucho help from Dean Baranski. We both learned a bunch and Bart's that much closer to being ready for a shakedown cruise to Chinaman's. T-case rebuild and reinstall are still in the offing but that should happen without fail. Dean might be up for the run too.
:cheers:

Romer
11-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Just heard from a long term forecaster that this Thanksgiving is suppose to be the coldest and snowest on record. But what do they know.

Red_Chili
11-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Buzzkill!!

:lmao:

Guess I better get the snow thrower ready, warmed up and in the garage...

JadeRunner
11-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Scott,
Got the new tranny and torque converter in today with mucho help from Dean Baranski. We both learned a bunch and Bart's that much closer to being ready for a shakedown cruise to Chinaman's. T-case rebuild and reinstall are still in the offing but that should happen without fail. Dean might be up for the run too.
:cheers:

That would be super if you got your new tranni and t-case all put together for this. Hopefully this will give you the encouragement needed for such a big job. It seems like it's been a long time since we were on that run on Red Elephant Hill in the Spring when your tranni gave out. I'm sure your itchin' beast back on the trail.

JadeRunner
11-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Just heard from a long term forecaster that this Thanksgiving is suppose to be the coldest and snowest on record. But what do they know.

I sure wouldn't be fun running Chinaman's with snow and ice on it. I really enjoy taking the technical lines and trying to be as precise as possible.

I know I mentioned I would consider a snow run on Yankee Hill if there is fresh snow. But, I will try to avoid changing the venue, since it it seems like a lot of people are making plans for this. BV usually escapes the snow (but not the cold). So we should be good. I'll call the Gunsmoke prior to the run.

Red_Chili
11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Romer, did the long range forecast for heavy snow involve the use of sheep intestines and coal fire by chance? Everything I see shows dry normal.

Romer
11-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Romer, did the long range forecast for heavy snow involve the use of sheep intestines and coal fire by chance? Everything I see shows dry normal.

I heard it on Lewis and Floorwax this morning. Some guy who does forecasts for drilling and construction companies. I can not comment on the methors or accuracy. I hope he is wrong as thats a good day to go wheeling

Uncle Ben
11-12-2007, 01:39 PM
AccuWeather seems to agree with Romers prediction.....

Nay
11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
My inlaws just had to bag their trip - I just went from a near nil to a "probably , if I can avoid too much Turkey and wine :D"

Red_Chili
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
AccuWeather seems to agree with Romers prediction.....
Interesting... Accuweather shows clear and cold Birdday, cloudy and cold Friday - for Buena Vista!

Flurries Saturday.

Let's go wheeling!

corsair23
11-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I usually use weather.com (http://www.weather.com/) (The Weather Channel site)...Seems as accurate as anywhere else. They have a 10 day forecast which only goes through the 21st as of today:

Nay
11-12-2007, 04:21 PM
A hint about weather.com's 10 day forecast for CO that I noticed years ago - days 9-10 always show some weather in the winter.

The best site you can use is the National Weather Service. Google National Weather Service Denver, and then click on the town you want and at the bottom links read "Forecast Discussion". This is where the forecaster discusses the various computer models and short/long term forecasts.

Right now, the longer term projections are emerging drought in a very stable weather pattern. It's a La Nina year.

Edit: just looked at the latest - maybe a storm middle of next week. Go figure. But no computer model consensus yet :D

JadeRunner
11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
And no more body damage for me with Oleg out of commision.

JadeRunner
11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I couldn't make it up this in Oct. on account of my gas tank skid hagnin me up. I look forward to tring my new middle skid ramp that Jeff Zepp helped me fab up (he did most of the work). We cut a piece of C channel down and welded it on.

Red_Chili
11-14-2007, 07:32 AM
And no more body damage for me with Oleg out of commision.
Ah, but Terry at CIM is handy. Bash away!

Uncle Ben
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Ah, but Terry at CIM is handy. Bash away!

Wont work....Scott actually uses his truck OFF-HIGHWAY! Terry would create more mall art and that would break Scotts other leg! :p::lmao::lmao:

Red_Chili
11-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I got yer 'mall art' right here, buddy...

Uncle Ben
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I got yer 'mall art' right here, buddy...

Ohhhh....I love it when you talk like that....
:D:lmao::lmao: :beer2: :bowdown::bill:

JadeRunner
11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I never heard of Terry at CIM. do you have a link?

Red_Chili
11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Linky (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4289)
:lmao:

RockRunner
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Scott,

I may be able to join you guys. Depending on wheter or not I am able to get a new tire and fix the front locker. The locker should not be to hard but then again I have said that before. The tire may be harder as they have to order it.

Looking at the pictures and video I don't think I have to have either to do the trip but it would be nice. Do we enter and return in the same area? I may trailer or tow the 4runner up there. Anyway let me know if it is still on or if you are planning on another trip instead.

Red_Chili
11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Yep, there is parking for trailers. The road to that spot has gotten a bit rough this year from what I hear though. You can park in town though.

What's up with your locker?

JadeRunner
11-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Scott,

I may be able to join you guys. Depending on wheter or not I am able to get a new tire and fix the front locker. The locker should not be to hard but then again I have said that before. The tire may be harder as they have to order it.

Looking at the pictures and video I don't think I have to have either to do the trip but it would be nice. Do we enter and return in the same area? I may trailer or tow the 4runner up there. Anyway let me know if it is still on or if you are planning on another trip instead.

It's still on. We go in and return at the same trailhead. Bill is right, I suggest you could trailer off at the Gunsmoke because the road into the traihead has major ruts and could be nasty with a tow rig if wet. The meetng place at the Gunsmoke truck is not far from the tralhead. I just as soon see everyone make this the trailhed so we are ready to go.

Crash
11-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry Scott, I'm out. Don't want to have my shakedown run be a run like this. I'll get my poop in a group and hook up with you next time. Pizza Run maybe? Have fun!
:thumb:

JadeRunner
11-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Well that's too bad. But we understand with such a big modification to your rig. We will look for you at a snow run this winter then.

RockRunner
11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Bill,

I did not pay attention and tore the wiring of the E-locker part. Should be able to fix it if I have the time.

Scott, meeting in the parking area sounds good to me. I will let you know one way or another before Turkey Day. Hope to get a new tire before then.

JadeRunner
11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Bill,

I did not pay attention and tore the wiring of the E-locker part. Should be able to fix it if I have the time.

Scott, meeting in the parking area sounds good to me. I will let you know one way or another before Turkey Day. Hope to get a new tire before then.

Get er' done. We hope to see you there. You will want your e-locker. I would flounder without mine. Wouldn't even want to do his trail without one.

RockRunner
11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Get er' done. We hope to see you there. You will want your e-locker. I would flounder without mine. Wouldn't even want to do his trail without one.

I have the rear it is the front that is out. Do I need the front too????????

JadeRunner
11-18-2007, 03:41 PM

No need for the front.

Nay
11-18-2007, 09:11 PM

A reasonably built rig can handle this trail without any lockers - you'll just be wary of some of the option stuff.

I wouldn't want to hit it without them - much more fun on the tougher lines, but no reason to stay home.

There is no such thing as a dual locker mandatory trail that won't be damage likely for any rig with a ton of sheetmetal and glass...OCG is a perfect trail to test what you have without a fear of real damage.

Supposed to be cold but no new snow...I'm planning on it :thumb:

Red_Chili
11-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Yep, it is looking better than the earlier weather rumors for sure!

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Good to hear, I have my locker motor out and it works but I need to rewire the plug. It was ripped of the motor itself and ORS was so nice to use all black wires when they wird the lockers for the PO. Now I am trying to locate a wring diagram for a 5 pin round plug. If I don't get it done I will still go but I would really want a new tire before I head up there.

I will also have to find my winter clothes, haven't even broken them out yet.

ScaldedDog
11-18-2007, 11:24 PM
weather.com says 36/15 Friday for BV, 12* here in town that morning. Wheelin's very much a warm weather activity for me, so I'm getting... cold feet. :D

Mark

Red_Chili
11-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 08:47 AM

http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/rotflmao2.gif :bowdown::bill:

Jacket
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I got a cracked shock to replace tomorrow (assuming it shows up) - otherwise I'm game. My thin-skinned Arizona dad might do some whining though...

Beater
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I have a friend that wants to do some geological huntingup there.. might be in.

Nay
11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I am definitely in if the run is a go - supposed to be snow showery...that will add to the fun for sure :D

bskey
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm on the edge... I may take the weekend to rebuild my hubs and install my CB......

Red_Chili
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I might be bringing my hunting buddy in his (coff coff Jeep coff) 4x4.

JadeRunner
11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
The runs is a go. I can't see having more and an inch or two of snow up there. Yankee may have received 4-8 inches of snow but I can't see changing the venue at this point.

I've been driving around on a broken rear upper control arm. That's the second of those I've broke. Replaced it last night, so I'm set.

Red_Chili
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
You need to throw an All-Pro-like heim jointed set of arms on there, d00d! Failure point in newer 4Runners. They didn't make the arms long or flexy enough.

JadeRunner
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm not seeing this as a failure point for others with 3rd gens. I just searched YotaTech again. Just me. Broke two in 7 years. I'll just get a few spares from my favorite shop in Aurora.

Bighead
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Scott, you are the only one I've heard of breaking the rear upper control arms though I have seen plenty of lower arms break/bend. I'm curious, where are they breaking at and what were you doing when it failed?

Beater
11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
my snow thrower just had oral surgery and 3 teeth pulled.. darnit

JadeRunner
11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
my snow thrower just had oral surgery and 3 teeth pulled.. darnit

So you in?

JadeRunner
11-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Scott, you are the only one I've heard of breaking the rear upper control arms though I have seen plenty of lower arms break/bend. I'm curious, where are they breaking at and what were you doing when it failed?

They sheer off near the front of the arm. I usually don't know when I do it, so I would imagine it's from hitting bumps on dirt roads at moderate speeds. Not sure. I figure this shouldn't surprise me since I wheel hard and flex out.

Jacket
11-21-2007, 11:00 PM
And just like that, I'm out. Good ol' ARB let me down yet again and my replacement shock did not arrive today as promised :rolleyes: Not happy at all with those guys right now. They've had 2+ weeks to deal with my problem, and they dragged their feet and made promises that they haven't been able to keep. A broken seal is one thing, but a shock that's cracked at the base is a safety hazard, and not something I want to take out on the trail and snap off.

Have fun guys. I'll catch you next time.

nuclearlemon
11-22-2007, 12:11 AM
A broken seal is one thing, but a shock that's cracked at the base is a safety hazard, and not something I want to take out on the trail and snap off.

dang. that sucks. i had a skyjacker shock snap completely off at the eye. walked out of work one day and wondered what was hanging from under my back end. didn't even have 1k miles on them.

i'm a maybe. maybe with a full load of passengers too. but all maybe's.

Red_Chili
11-22-2007, 08:01 AM
They sheer off near the front of the arm. I usually don't know when I do it, so I would imagine it's from hitting bumps on dirt roads at moderate speeds. Not sure. I figure this shouldn't surprise me since I wheel hard and flex out.Don't know about Yotatech, but the 2nd gens are a similar design and there just isn't much flex in them. Check your upper control arm mounts on the axle housing as well. They are very vulnerable to tearing off the housing. DAMHIK

JadeRunner
11-22-2007, 09:28 AM
And just like that, I'm out. Good ol' ARB let me down yet again and my replacement shock did not arrive today as promised :rolleyes:

Have fun guys. I'll catch you next time.

That's too bad Matt, I was looking forward to wheelin' with you. PM me if you want to ride with me, I live near Stevenson Toyota. I'll be by myself. My hunting buddies are going pheasant hunting again, my other friends and relatives don't think it would be fun as usual.

Evrgrnmtnman
11-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Wish this was on the 24th or 25th sounds like alot of fun! We're doing our Thanksgiving Celebration on Friday, so can't do Friday. Anyone, doing any wheeling this weekend?

Nay
11-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Looks like a little bit of snow in the forecast, this is going to be an interesting run. See you @ 9:30 @ the truck stop.

JadeRunner
11-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Looks like a little bit of snow in the forecast, this is going to be an interesting run. See you @ 9:30 @ the truck stop.

Yep, it's going to be chilly. See you there.

Nay
11-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm heading out - my mobile is 719.459.0165 if anything changes!

PatrolMan
11-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Everyone make it? Wish I could have joined in and tried out some of my new "toys"! Hope it was a good time and look forward to pics!

nuclearlemon
11-23-2007, 10:47 PM
we should all be home safe and sound. it was a long hard day. pics and story will be posted later...or maybe it will be written up for tt.