PDA

View Full Version : Oba?

Shark Bait
11-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Howdy folks. I'm soliciting opinions for compressor options for an on board air setup for my project 40. I had planned to put in a York, and have the brackets to do it. A Sanden compressor was suggested, but I would need to fab a bracket and I'm not that handy. I already have a storage tank I got from 4WPW and a great place to mount it. The primary use is going to be running the front & rear ARB air lockers and inflating tires. I suppose it's possible I would run air tools down the road, but not likely.

What recommendations and experience do you all have? I'm asking because I would consider at electric compressor over the belt driven compressors and want to hear what the good options are.

Uncle Ben
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Howdy folks. I'm soliciting opinions for compressor options for an on board air setup for my project 40. I had planned to put in a York, and have the brackets to do it. A Sanden compressor was suggested, but I would need to fab a bracket and I'm not that handy. I already have a storage tank I got from 4WPW and a great place to mount it. The primary use is going to be running the front & rear ARB air lockers and inflating tires. I suppose it's possible I would run air tools down the road, but not likely.

What recommendations and experience do you all have? I'm asking because I would consider at electric compressor over the belt driven compressors and want to hear what the good options are.

If you are considering all options electric falls short! A great electric comp is still subpar to a weak belt driven! Sanden/OEM Toy comps kick butt and fit in smaller spaces but do not lube themselves as well as a York style. Yorks can rival home compressors but take up a lot of room! Onboardair.com has put together good info that in the past we have had to find out through trial and error....check it out....

nakman
11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
If it was just the lockers then electric is fine.. but throw tires & air tools in the mix and I'd have to agree the York or Sanden is your best bet. If you did the York right away, you could always swap to the Sanden later after you bribed someone to make you the bracket, right?

Corsair's got a clean setup in his 40 (pictures have been posted before), also Red Fox is your Sanden-master, but you knew that... and all the compressors in town are at Neil's house. You don't have to go far to see your selection of 80 setups, for other ideas. But the most time consuming part is routing your lines, manifold, switches, tank, etc..

My vote is do the York now, then switch to Sanden later if you don't like how big/heavy it is.

Shark Bait
11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks Kevin! :bowdown:

Red_Chili
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I run twin electrics, so you know where I am coming from.

If you can fit a York in there, don't even ask about anything else.

Shark Bait
11-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I run twin electrics, so you know where I am coming from.

If you can fit a York in there, don't even ask about anything else.

Thanks Tim and Bill, too. :bowdown::bowdown::)

I am almost ready to fire the beast up. My plan has been to get it running and registered and then start adding the extra stuff. :eek:

Kipper
11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I had a york in my 40 and it was awesome. I picked up one recently with the brackets to run the same setup in my new 40. It was nice to be able to air my truck and everyone else up after trails like Metal Masher in Moab that required longer highway travel to get back to camp. Unlimited and quick!

farnhamstj
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I run an arb electric pump. Runs locker great. Takes almost 20 minutes to air up, but beats no air. My buddy has a Smitty electric that will air up tires well in about 10-50 minutes. I think it was about $70. Never used a YORK myself but the people I've seen can air up under 5 min. But.. I've also seen one system die mid-use and they had and electric back-up. MY $.02 electric to run the lockers, CO2 to fill tires.

Convert
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
York or sanden are the best options if you have the room both will fill tires quickly and run air tools. Electric are slow but will do the job and Co2 is fast but you always seem to run out at the wrong time and is high maintenance in my opinion:thumb:

Uncle Ben
11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
York or sanden are the best options if you have the room both will fill tires quickly and run air tools. Electric are slow but will do the job and Co2 is fast but you always seem to run out at the wrong time and is high maintenance in my opinion:thumb:

....and Co2 is an orderless gas that will displace all the oxygen in a closed vehicle if a large leak occurred undetected!

AxleIke
11-14-2007, 11:28 PM
....and Co2 is an orderless gas that will displace all the oxygen in a closed vehicle if a large leak occurred undetected!

Yup. Not worried about it. Love my CO2, and am confident that I have just as much risk of dying in a ball of fire on the freeway as I do from asphyxiation from my CO2.

That being said, we've raced a york and a CO2 tank. About even. Raced CO2 and electric. I filled all 4 of my tires, all 4 of a second truck, and 1 on the truck that was using the electric pump.

Go York. Nothing better.

Uncle Ben
11-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Yup. Not worried about it. Love my CO2, and am confident that I have just as much risk of dying in a ball of fire on the freeway as I do from asphyxiation from my CO2.

That being said, we've raced a york and a CO2 tank. About even. Raced CO2 and electric. I filled all 4 of my tires, all 4 of a second truck, and 1 on the truck that was using the electric pump.

Go York. Nothing better.

Probably true, no surprise, I have no doubt and "WORD!" ;) :cheers: