PDA

View Full Version : Ogden Theatre Parking/Close Eating

Cheese
11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Hoping to query the locals on this, I am usually a Red Rock or Aggie concert watcher so this is foreign.

Going to my first show at the Ogden, anything to be extra aware of?

Coming down in a convertible, since I will be parking near Colfax, should I be worried about the car still being there when the show is done?

Can anyone recommend close by eateries for a decent date-ish supper before hand? Hopefully nothing chain or too fancy, but a good bite to eat before a great evening of music.

Running down from Fort Collins, making a stop at the super REI so we are somewhat flexible.

Thanks,
Adrian

nakman
11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
There's a fast food place across Colfax, with a lot next to it that's usually pretty decent.. actually right on Colfax is also good as far as being public goes. And about 4 blocks north and 3-4 blocks west from there is a pretty cool little cluster of bars & restaurants.. forget the names but it will be obvious once you're driving around down there. If you get on Park (diagonal) then go a few blocks then left on 18th you'll run into it. hth..

Hulk
11-14-2007, 07:53 PM
There's a place on the south side of Colfax called Tommy's Thai. It's fantastic. It's definitely not a quick bite to eat -- usually there is a line for a table. The ambiance is great and the food is wonderful.

There's another place called Pete's Kitchen that's pretty good as well. Dave Armbruster, Dean and I met there before a Wilco show a few years ago.

DaveInDenver
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Pete's is sort of its own deal, worth a trip for a cup of coffee and to watch people. Particularly good at 3AM... That's a few blocks from the Ogden, but walkable. It's about half way between the Ogden and the Bluebird, so maybe 8 blocks east? If this is a date with your someone special, not sure Pete's is really the right atmosphere. But one thing is for sure, it's not dull.

There's a pita place literally right next to the Ogden. Don't remember the name, but it's not bad as I recall. It might not be open late and isn't fancy.

The Ogden is so close to the Capitol. What are you thinking? Coming from Super REI, the options are huge downtown. I would suggest, though, getting to the Ogden Theater area, parking the car and walking to some place around there.

The grouping of places that Tim is thinking about is along 17th, basically between about Logan and Emerson, but really goes way over to Gilpin by the hospitals along 17th. One that sticks in my mind is the Avenue Grill, a bit more upscale than the name suggests. At 17th and Pearl, Famous Dave's BBQ! Probably not what you're looking for, but you know with a name like that, it should be good (but alas, it's a chain). One place we've been wanting to get down to is Hamburger Mary's, which is also on 17th at Washington. There's an OK chinese place a couple of block north of the Ogden on Ogden called Wok Uptown (clever, eh?). There's a Pasquini's on the other side of Park on 17th, this is a pretty decent pie. There's another place next to the pizza place called String's, another place that I've heard really good things about.

Parking is best done off Colfax, but keep an eye out at the signs. Some blocks are restricted and the locals will have windshield stickers to keep from getting towed. The short ends of blocks or a couple of blocks off Colfax are often OK. As far as coming out to a missing car, well, I won't lie to you ... this isn't Cherry Hills Village. But I wouldn't fret. There are also several parking lots around the area, so you can usually find some place to stash the car. We usually end up along 16th, usually around Downing or Marion.

HTH!

treerootCO
11-15-2007, 02:58 AM
I'll 2nd Tommy's Thai.

Cheese
11-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys.

It is mostly a date, so good supper for an hour at least before the show would be good.

Looking closer at the area, my rookie downtown self has been around these corridors before, just have to dig out a few more memories.

Turtle60
11-15-2007, 08:25 AM
If you're going to be at the Super REI before the show, just go to "My Brothers Bar" and get a Johnny burger and a Guinness!