PDA

View Full Version : Duck for Bill - Red Chili

Crash
11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Bill, for whatever reason, I remembered that during a "What's it worth?" thread a while back, you mentioned something about an erstwhile Ducati. When we were back in Missouri during our recent adventure, I asked an old friend to pull hi 1975 750S out of the garage for a few pics. The Duck has a down cylinder and my friend wants to send it to Austrailia to be fixed properly. Sounds familiar to me as I'm installing an A440F tranny from OZ in the 62 right now. Anyway, enjoy the pics! The other bike is his current "therapy" machine, a sweet Triumph that he races on the two lane backroads of southern MO and northern Arkansas. A true scofflaw!!
:cheers:

Beater
11-17-2007, 09:00 AM
interesting.. one of the best ducati mechanics in the us was in business here until late. There is an ok one here at john's shop, Erico motorsports... Harry's motorcycles was the place though

I am looking for an old ss if I can't find a decent fzr1000 or fj1200

j

Red_Chili
11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
VERY sweet 750SS. Mine was the F1-A, with cam belts instead of the tower shafts. Those tower shafts were definitely cool but intimidating to all but the thoroughly initiated. They set up similar to diffs. Like, every single time you did anything to the head, not sure if it was required for valve adjustments.

The newer Ducs are worlds different in maintenance difficulty (as in, pulling the heads on an aircoolled Duc is super easy, I even pulled heads to adjust the valves. Just easier that way, and no risk of dropping a valve down the hole). But they still have the same soul. And run worlds better too. The best part? They make a retro bike with modern suspension and motor that looks almost identical to that 750SS.

Not sure I would send a cylinder to Oz to get it worked on though! It just ain't THAT hard to do!

Thanks for the pix!

RockRunner
11-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Some sweet rides, my back is aching just looking at them.