PDA

View Full Version : Tow rig

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I need some real input from people who have or have owned one of these vehicles.

I have a 2005 GMC 4x4 Crew cab with the 5.3 motor. I tow my 4runner on a 18' flat bed, it does not work real well. It pulls OK with the lowest speed around 40 when hitting the tunnel, problem is the brakes. Already warped one disc and the other is looking bad.

So this is what I need; real time mileage for a Ford 250 4x4 diesel and a Chevy/GMC diesel

Both need to be 4x4 and auto with the diesel. I don't think the crew cab part will make much difference in MPG.

Looking for real world experience, mileage, handling, ride, comfort etc. Would you buy one again?

Yes I have looked at the Tundra but I don't have $40+ K lying around. I am looking at used 03 to 06.

Thanks for any help.:cheers:

nuclearlemon
11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
my 95 powerstroke gets crap for mileage. about 13 empty, about 8-9 towing. iirc, mike got around 18-22 when we went to cali with his 06 durmax, but my memory sucks.

if you want a p.o.s. (oops, sorry, ford) i'll be selling my dec1st. i only bought it to tow the raffle rig. when that's gone, so's the truck.

Beater
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
most strokers get around 16 towing that on the flats. You can also get the allison tranny on the 2006 and up help with the engine braking on the gm's.

(used to work for ford)

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I am not to worried about the MPG when towing as I know it will be less but most likely still better than my truck. Round trip to Moab I got 11.5 mpg, not bad but certainly not great.

What I really want to know is the mileage when empty and just driving around town.

Ige, not that I really need another truck but what are you asking for it and is it a regular cab or extended?

nuclearlemon
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
it's an extended cab f250, xlt trim, 4x4, auto trans, power locks/windows, cruise, turbocharged 7.3l. maroon/grey with grey interior. receiver and gooseneck hitches.

i plan on asking $9500/obo. hope to get that much, but doubt it, but that's about what i've got into after initial purchase, new tires, adding toolbox, brake controller, new master cylinder, getting the p.o. wiring issues fixed (since it was brake controller related, i didnt' want to tackle that myself), and fixing a bunch of stuff. i also spent the coinage to buy an oem manual that will go with it. it's not ugly, but the clearcoat has peeled off in a bunch of places and the bugguard's cracked in half, under the hood's dirty, etc, so i suspect that will turn a lot of people off since pretty sells and i'm not in the position to put money into it to make it pretty.

Uncle Ben
11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
it's an extended cab f250, xlt trim, 4x4, auto trans, power locks/windows, cruise, turbocharged 7.3l. maroon/grey with grey interior. receiver and gooseneck hitches.

i plan on asking $9500/obo. hope to get that much, but doubt it, but that's about what i've got into after initial purchase, new tires, adding toolbox, brake controller, new master cylinder, getting the p.o. wiring issues fixed (since it was brake controller related, i didnt' want to tackle that myself), and fixing a bunch of stuff. i also spent the coinage to buy an oem manual that will go with it. it's not ugly, but the clearcoat has peeled off in a bunch of places and the bugguard's cracked in half, under the hood's dirty, etc, so i suspect that will turn a lot of people off since pretty sells and i'm not in the position to put money into it to make it pretty.

It appears it comes with it's own drip pan too! :lmao::hill:

Romer
11-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Disclaimer - raffle rig and trailer not included

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Sounds like you put some money into it. Unfortunately I may be looking for a "nice" DD that will tow too. Most likely a GMC 2500 as they seem to have some really good reviews and I like my 1500.

Now if it came with the trailer and raffle rig.......oh and the custom drip pan then hell yes :thumb:

Red_Chili
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
My '97 powerstroke crewcab got 17 mpg no matter what (I never towed with it, so I dunno about towing mileage). Light throttle, heavy foot, 55, 75, didn't seem to matter.

However, the dang thing ran like crap - sometimes - when it was cold. Other times it ran great. Courtesy couldn't figure it out, Phil Long couldn't figure it out. The paint on the hood started cracking, seems Ford didn't know how to apply paint. Warranty repaint. Nonetheless, I would not own one again. After owning Toyotas it was a bit of a shock, all the nits and little problems, and lack of fit and finish.

Beater
11-19-2007, 07:46 AM
strokers NEED to be plugged in. period. end of story. If you don't it kills the glowplug relay. If you ignore that, you bugger the injectors. ONLY failure point on the 7.3 stroker I EVER saw. PERIOD.

however, the new duramax is pretty sweet. used? I would by a stroker, except for those 2 years that they changed the displacement, 2000/2002 I think, but you should verify.

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 08:22 AM
strokers NEED to be plugged in. period. end of story. If you don't it kills the glowplug relay. If you ignore that, you bugger the injectors. ONLY failure point on the 7.3 stroker I EVER saw. PERIOD.

however, the new duramax is pretty sweet. used? I would by a stroker, except for those 2 years that they changed the displacement, 2000/2002 I think, but you should verify.

Powersmokes also cook turbos and oil cooler lines. Cooked turbos are usually customer related due to poor maintainance and/or over loading and oil cooler lines are a product of FoMoCO's superior engineering. Duramax never changed displacement as it has always been a 6.6 Isuzu but they did up the power via programming in 2004. Cummins are superior engines but need an Allison automatic instead of the POS upgraded rebadged Torgueflight and NV-4500's suck as the gear spread is horrible. Dodge also has issues with frame flex.

Red_Chili
11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
I plugged in my Powerstroke all winter, had a timer that would kick on about 2AM. Still ran like crap - SOMEtimes - in the winter, warmed up notwithstanding. Never again.

nuclearlemon
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
so far mine runs ok when cold, but bill's issue may be in not towing. diesel motors need to tow, otherwise you're killing the engine by loading it up. when you see black smoke pouring out of the exhaust, that's cleaning the engine, which happens most under load.

uncle ben's right about dodge frames. they've had issues building a frame to withhold their powertrains since the 70s and it lasted at least until mid 90's. don't know if it's still a problem, but "dad" got a new frame on his 94 from mopar because it kept cracking at the tranny mounts. he'd weld it and it would crack right past the scab plate.

i'd love a duramax but 30k for a used one is wayyyyyyy outta my league

Beater
11-19-2007, 09:57 AM
not just their frames, they thought they could "re-size" the front suspension from a xj. NOPE.

I am still a stroker fan, but that's only cause I can't afford a duramax. I came close when I bought my 07, and ultimately went with a gm gas (OMG) as it had better power, fuel economy, and towing capability at the same price point as the ford. IF I towed, and were going to lease or buy, I would get the duramax for the transmission.

I just couldn't justify the higher fuel cost and 10k more in price for a duramax when I don't tow over 3klbs ever.

J Kimmel
11-19-2007, 10:51 AM
glow plugs get a bad rap in powerstrokes, mine worked properly and it would start at virtually any temp. I do agree with plugging it in though. Unplugged it would start evry time, but was definately louder and angry. Plugging it in it sounded like a warm summer day when I fired it up.
I had a 1997 CC longbox. It was a fantastic truck really. I drove it for two years with little other than maintenance. It had about 180,000 when I got it, a little over 200K when I sold it and it lives and still runs great in Nebraska. Mine got a solid 16 no matter the speed, and towing was a solid 12. With the dual tanks I could get to Moab in one fill.
Mine had a 100 HP chip and full guages in it, I would lower it to a 60HP tune when towing(after pulling with a identical PS that was stock, its a HUGE improvement and definately recommend it). It would hold 65 over the passes but I always had to downshift and run them about 45 to keep EGT's manageable, holding 65 the temps would just climb. I was going to add an intercooler(all 99+ are factory intercooled, pre 97 are not) but I never got around to it.

I traded it for a 2005 Duramax, much much much more comfortable, much more powerful. The powerstroke will get the job done no doubt but the Duramax is much more comfortable. I can easily run 70-75 over all the hills on I-70 with my pickup on an 18foot flatbed. The Allison transmission has a great tow/haul mode also, really keeps the speed under control coming down the hills.

HTH

RockRunner
11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
If I get one it would be a 04 or new Ford or GMC. As I said I really like the interior of the GMC and the Allison tranny gets really good reviews. Seems the GMC's hold their value better too and can be found as DD's not work trucks so much.

JKimmel, what kind of MPG do you get around town and towing? Seems like you are one of the few with a newer one that you still own.

Thanks for all the info so far guys and gal..........

J Kimmel
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I get 15 running around town, and about the same on the highway. I've seen as high as 13 towing, and as low as 9. I got 9 pulling a heavy 24ft trailer and my toyota from GJ to Moab a couple of weeks ago, but I was doing 85. I got about 12 coming home, staying around the speed limit.

My mileage dropped a solid two with ULSD. I was getting a solid 17 to and from work before it.

ScaldedDog
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I've got a 2001 Excursion that I love. It's got the 7.3, weighs 8000lb, and I've had 285/75 tires on it since I bought it 4 1/2 years and 45000 miles ago. It's now got 106000 on it. I've averaged 14.8mpg (hand calculated). Around town it gets 14, and as much as 17 on the highway if you can drive 65, which I only do on two lane roads. I get 11.5mpg towing to Moab with about 6000lbs in tow. Mine's garaged, so I never plug it in and have never had a problem.

I've spent very little on actual repairs: The TPS/accelerator pedal assembly, alternator and one unit bearing went out, but that was all DIY stuff and I used the Colorado Powerstroke club discount for the parts. In addition, I replaced the ball joints and front axle seals, rotors and pads, and also replaced the CPS before it went out, but that was all DIY stuff, too, so not all that expensive.

Improvements are another matter: Exhaust, intake, new front springs (the X's are sprung for soccer moms), rear air bags, guages, tranny cooler... All kinds of fun! :D

If Toyota or Honda made something similar to the Excursion, I'd have bought it. They don't, though, and neither does anyone else. Given that, I'm happy.

Mark

RockRunner
11-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I have heard that the ULSD has messed with the MPG of several people, never fails. The 17 mpg around town was what I was expecting, bummed to hear that it has dropped to 15. I was hoping to get the same mpg around town and better on the highway but I guess that is not going to happen.

I'm happy to hear the the maintenance isn't as bad as it used to be, normal wear and tear is fine but replacing tranies and or turbos that would be a problem. As for the power toys etc. they are fun but not necessary right away but definitely needed down the road ;-)

ScaldedDog
11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
...but replacing tranies

Ahh, yes, tranny's. The OEM 4R100 in mine lasted 17K, according to the OASIS report. (Bad mechanical diode, I'd bet, as my build date is in range for those.) The reman has been in there for nearly 90K, and I actually like the way it shifts. Even so, I kind of mentally keep $4K in my head (certainly not in the bank! :D) for an eventual replacement.

If you get an '03-06 like you mentioned, though, you'd likely get the 5R100, which I think is better. You'll get the 6.0 with those though, and they have, on average, been more trouble prone than the 7.3's. You might find an early '03 with the 7.3 and 4R100, as the '03 model year started out with that combination.

I know what you mean about the go-fast goodies. When my then new bride and I bought the Excursion, I promised her it wouldn't become another money pit like the 4Runner. That's still the only lie I ever told her. :D

Mark

RockRunner
11-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I try not to make promises like that, I know I am going to brreak them and so does she. Thanks for the info now just to find the funding and sell mine.