PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing a 4runner???

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I am planning on going to the after Turkey ride this Friday and plan on flat towing the 4runner. I don't want to use the trailer since my brakes don't like the hills to much.

I know I need to disconnect the rear drive shaft and put the transfer cases in neutral. Do I need to do anything with the steering wheel? Tie it down or something? I will be buying some taillights from Harbor Freight, and I am sure a bunch more stuff:p:.

So tell me what else do I need to do................

:cheers:

BogusBlake
11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
In addition to disconnecting the rear driveline and unlocking the front hubs, you need to make sure the steering is free to track- leave the key in the Acc. position and disconnect the battery.

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks, wasn't sure about the steering. disconnecting the battery is something I most likely would have forgotten.

Anything else I need to do????

BogusBlake
11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Anything else I need to do????

Just remember that even though you're towing less weight by not pulling that trailer, the trailer had brakes (hopefully). Your towing truck is now stopping two trucks, and the towed truck won't be helping.

Also, you can't back up like you can with a trailer.

nuclearlemon
11-18-2007, 09:06 PM
also, if you leave the steering wheel completely free, remember to avoid sharp turns that may cause your wheels to turn to lock. swing everything wide. i strap my steering wheel loosely when i flat tow the 40. i leave almost a half turn.

make sure your front end is in good shape (knuckle bearings/races will play a big factor here).

RockRunner
11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys, really helps. Never even thought about backing it up.

So putting a strap through the bottom of the steering wheel loosely should work?