View Full Version : Really bad day

11-19-2007, 04:36 AM
My wife and I were driving up Left Hand Sunday. We did not have time to do Carnage as I did with my son on Saturday so I thought we would just drive to the store and then head home. At 9 mile she started screaming that we were on fire; and we were.

I pulled over and managed to use my entire fire extinguisher on the electircal fire under the hood. As the extinguisher died, I thought we were going to watch our '40 burn to the ground. We grabbed a tall coffee cup, got water from the creek and proceeded to douse the rest of the fire.

I am so bummed.


11-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Aww man! That is tough.

Any idea what started the fire?

Who did the conversion?

11-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Aw CRUM!!!

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Ohhhhh man, that is a major bummer! :( Glad you got it put out and also glad your batteries didn't explode! :thumb:

11-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Sory to hear that man, I HATE electrical!! Hope you get it running soon.

11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
The only engine compartment fire that I've had the pleasure of dealing with was due to a battery shifting and grounding out the positive side terminal on the battery. I hope most of you damage is cosmetic and didn't trash the whole wiring harness.

11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
FC 4x4 did the conversion in 2001 (7500 miles ago). I bought it about a month ago. It will take about $2k to fix it. Harness and lots of other stuff is cooked. It appears that they did not use a fusable link on the harness, it shorted, and whamo--big flames.

Here is a before pix. BTW-I would love to come to (another) meeting but I am always out of town. I'll come see you guys soon enough.

11-19-2007, 03:39 PM
that sucks. I kinda know how it feels :eek:

11-19-2007, 09:37 PM
total bummer. Good luck.

11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Follow up:
It appears that an injector shorted and there was no fusible link on the harness. As a result it was almost a melt down.

I will have it on the road by 8 December--back to Carnage;)

11-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Sorry to hear it -- glad you got that fire put out!