PDA

View Full Version : FJ 40 Axles (what years?)

PatrolMan
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Since I hav converted my Patrol to FJ40 front and rear axles, just curious if there is any way to tell what years they came from. I purchased them separately and all I really know is they are both drums with dual wheel cylinders per drum. I have started to bleed the brakes, and it is clear that some of the wheel cylinders are bad.

Are all the wheel cylinders the same for dual per drum? Thanks!

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Since I hav converted my Patrol to FJ40 front and rear axles, just curious if there is any way to tell what years they came from. I purchased them separately and all I really know is they are both drums with dual wheel cylinders per drum. I have started to bleed the brakes, and it is clear that some of the wheel cylinders are bad.

Are all the wheel cylinders the same for dual per drum? Thanks!

What gear ratios? What size studs on the diff cover/chunks? What bolt size and bolt circle on the flanges?

nuclearlemon
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
is it birfield or ball and claw? pre66ish is ball and claw, after that birfield until late 75

subzali
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
I think the wheel cylinders are the same...if I can get the other drum off some parts I got then you can have a couple, I'd like to keep a couple for myself (need one for sure).

wesintl
11-19-2007, 03:09 PM
review this page and see if it helps you...

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/brakwheelcyl.html

PatrolMan
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Looks like I will have to measure some bolts and such. I had already looked at the link and wasn't able to determine from that page what year range my axles are. I wanted to purchase either new cylinders or rebuild kits, but need the appropriate year range. Were all years dual cylinders on each wheel?

wesintl
11-19-2007, 09:24 PM
yes for earlier drum stuff. The late model 40 drum axle had a 60 series style rear drum with one cylinder but for what you are looking at yes to on each drum

If you posted some pics we could probably tell you about what year(s)