PDA

View Full Version : FJ60 rear brakes

MDH33
11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Spent the last 2 weekends working on brakes in my 40 and 60... Did a complete brake job on the 40, and then the 60 decided it needed some attention too:

My parking brake developed some slack due to the bell crank on one side sticking. I took it apart and was able to free it up and the parking brake began functioning normally. However, I now have some extra travel in the pedal and the rear brakes seem like they are not adjusting via the brake lever. I noticed when I had the drum off that there is a short cable that goes between the bell crank arm and the adjustment mechanism. I couldn't figure out exactly how this cable operates the adjustment. Does anyone have a diagram or photo of how the rear 60 brakes are supposed to be set up?

Thanks! :thumb:

MDH33
11-20-2007, 02:15 PM
More searching on MUD provided the answer:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181109&stc=1&d=1192579140

My cable was not passing underneath the "three-fingered-wheel-thingamajig".

nuclearlemon
11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
did you adjust the brakes back out after you put the drum on? if not, it may take a while for the brakes to adjust back out.

MDH33
11-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Because the bell crank was sticking I had to back off the adjustment to pull the drum. When I reassembled I tried to adjust the shoes as far as possible and still allow the drum to fit over. I thought I could re-set the adjust by cranking on the parking brake handle until it was back to normal but it must not be operating properly due to the incorrect placement of that short cable. I'll have to open it back up tonight and correct it. Brakes are working but with too much pedal travel. :o

Note to 60 owners: check and maintain those bell cranks. :)