PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 full time or no.....

acon40
11-20-2007, 02:00 PM
so today is my first ttime actually getting to think about 4x4.... Every other truck i have had you push a button or the sort. So is this full time....?

subzali
11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Is this an 80 series? Then yes it is Full-Time, no need to do anything for normal driving/snow driving. If you need low range, stop and put it in Park or Neutral and shift the Lever to "L". This will lock the center differential for more traction. I can't remember if you have lockers or not, but if you do you can then start turning the dial to the left of the steering wheel for extended traction! :D

acon40
11-20-2007, 02:11 PM
thats what i was thinking.... Thanks and i do have the lockers so it should be fun

subzali
11-20-2007, 02:16 PM
yeah I would go real slow and see if the lockers engage (so you know they WILL engage when you actually need them to) but don't drive too long on a high-traction surface with them engaged. Good luck!

RockRunner
11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Not sure if you plan on driving on the road with snow, if you are your lockers will make it worse. Just the rear engaged will push the rear around, front only makes it hard to turn. Both is fun too, you get a combination of the two. Weight of the vehicle does make a difference but I prefer to run open diffs during the snow till I need to lock in.

Have fun and good luck.

Romer
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
If your in fresh snow you will want to engage the CDL switch (Do you have one).

This is a common item often mis-understood on the 80 series. It has a full time system with a coupler in the Tcase that allows slippage between the front and rear axle. Engaging the Center Diff via the CDL switch or by putting it into low ties the front and rear axle together to give you the 4WD most folks are use to when they think of 4WD.

Romer
11-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Not sure if you plan on driving on the road with snow, if you are your lockers will make it worse. Just the rear engaged will push the rear around, front only makes it hard to turn. Both is fun too, you get a combination of the two. Weight of the vehicle does make a difference but I prefer to run open diffs during the snow till I need to lock in.

Have fun and good luck.

I agree on regular driving without lockers. You may want to engage the rear if you are blazing a trail on your street after deep snow. I would be very sparing with the front and only use it if you are stuck and then disengage it. Turning and other factors on the front will put a lot of pressure on your birfs and you don't want to be replacing that in the snow.

corsair23
11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
If your in fresh snow you will want to engage the CDL switch (Do you have one).

He does, sort of...It is sitting in my garage with a bunch of aux tank parts from CDan :)

acon40
11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
The reason I asked was because doing a uturn or the such does not feel like a 4x4 that I am used to. Feels much smoother.

treerootCO
11-21-2007, 12:03 AM
wait? what?! These things are 4 wheel drive? :confused:

Uncle Ben
11-21-2007, 03:13 AM
Just drive the dang thing! :thumb: :)

Inukshuk
11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
On an 80 definitely don't use the front and rear diff lockers in normal snow driving. They will cause more side-sliding. In some cases though the extra forward tracion is worth it. I can't say I have ever used the front diff lock for snow - and I have done FEAT volunteer driving in the past big storms (I did air down for those events though) and broke trail on nearly every alley in NW Denver.

Engaging the CDL will be a personal preference. One thing that happens when you do is that you lose ABS. Generally I like having ABS on. However, in the really deep or fresh stuff I have experienced better traction with the CDL engaged and I do not miss the ABS.

subzali
11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Just drive the dang thing! :thumb: :)

Kinda like St. Fuaw right? :D

corsair23
11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
The reason I asked was because doing a uturn or the such does not feel like a 4x4 that I am used to. Feels much smoother.

When/If you engage the CDL it will probably feel much more familiar to what you are use to.