PDA

View Full Version : simple tech question...replacing FJ40 oil guage

CardinalFJ60
11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm just daydreaming at work thinking about what I could accomplish in about an hour after work today.

I need to replace the oil pressure guage in the 40 ('77)...is it as easy as just removing the two screws in the guage panel, pulling out and replacing the guage? Any tips or things to know about before I spend 2 hours on a 15min. project?

thanks!

subzali
11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Disconnect the battery first (you'll see why later). Two large phillips head screws, pull off the speedo cable (I used to have to reach around the back side of it, which is a pain, yesterday I found that I can go into the engine and push some extra speedo cable through the firewall which will give enough slack to bring the cluster out far enough to reach it right there). There are two tabs on the bottom of the cluster that you have to rotate around to get it clear. Then disconnect the leads for the ammeter (that's where unplugging the battery helps - no fires please) I think 8mm wrench, pull the large circular plug and the cluster will be in your hands. Then take it to a workbench, use a 7mm I think wrench to get the two oil pressure leads off (or three?) and swap and reassemble.

Good luck!

For an extra half-hour you can reset your odometer to zero! :D

And if you have tin snips handy you can cut the shields around the bulbs for extra illumination!

CardinalFJ60
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know about. :thumb: