PDA

View Full Version : Titling and registering homebuilt trailer

Boulder Cruiser
11-20-2007, 03:00 PM
What all needs to happen? I did some research online and it says you just go to the dmv with a bill of sale or receipts and they give you a vin # and title. Is it really that easy? No inspections or anything? I just bought a 16' car hauler for really cheap but it doesnt have a title.

nuclearlemon
11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
it is easy. have to know length, weight and type of trailer (what does it haul and how much). they give you registration, plates and a "vin" tag. plan on finding someone to etch your vin in cause the plaques they give you are pretty much junk

Rezarf
11-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Yup, it is that easy. All you got to do is what Ige said above. For a "homemade" trailer they want to see receipts for materials used, axles, tires, wheels, electrical to know how much to tax you on it.

Drew

nuclearlemon
11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
they didn't ask me for reciepts, just estimated worth.

Boulder Cruiser
11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Sweet thanks for the info! I went today, got titled and registered.

DaveInDenver
05-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Has anyone done a homemade trailer registration lately? Just wondering if the process is the same.

Hulk
05-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Has anyone done a homemade trailer registration lately? Just wondering if the process is the same.

I did mine a couple of years ago, and the process was the same. I did get a temp tag from the DMV to make it legal to pull it to the inspection.

DaveInDenver
05-29-2016, 04:51 PM
I did mine a couple of years ago, and the process was the same. I did get a temp tag from the DMV to make it legal to pull it to the inspection.
What inspection? Is that for roadworthiness?

kurtnkegger
05-30-2016, 09:30 PM
When I brought my trailer in, the inspection was basically for electrical tail light verification. They kind-of looked at the trailer, but there wasn't an in depth inspection...

Just stood behind and had me do the turn signals, brakes, and flashers. Took all of 10 minutes.

Hulk
05-31-2016, 06:00 PM
What inspection? Is that for roadworthiness?

When I brought my trailer in, the inspection was basically for electrical tail light verification. They kind-of looked at the trailer, but there wasn't an in depth inspection...

Just stood behind and had me do the turn signals, brakes, and flashers. Took all of 10 minutes.

I think my inspection was all of 2 minutes. Brake lights, turn signals, chains in the right place. Maybe he looked at the tires. Pretty easy stuff.