PDA

View Full Version : Old Chinaman Gulch Snow Run 11/23/07

JadeRunner
11-23-2007, 08:01 PM
It was slippery with 2-4 inches of snow on the ground, but we actually made the whole trail today and got off the trail at dark. There were 5 of us. Trip report, pictures and video to come later. Hope everyone made it back ok. It was a pretty slick and snowy drive home.

Nay
11-24-2007, 08:21 AM
What a run :thumb:

I have what sounds like a moderately unhappy driveshaft, but outside of that seem to have come through unscathed. That combo of dry sand and powder snow turned everything into the consistency of soap until it finally snowed enough on the back half of the trail and we were pretty much just doing the slip 'n slide on down.

Absolutely beautiful day on the trail - OCG is a more difficult trail than I ever thought I'd run in the snow, but it doesn't have much in the way of roll spots so it's doable for a small, experienced, and winch laden group.

Thanks for putting it together, Scott. That was the most enjoyable run I've done in several years. We should make an OCG snow run an annual event :cool:

Can't believe I forgot my camera, dying to see the pics...

bskey
11-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Can't wait to see the pics, and I wish I could have come. Next time..... Glad everyone got home safe and in one piece!

RockRunner
11-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Made it home around 9:30 towing the Beast. Slick as all could be with my 4runner pushing my truck around.

Like all I too had a great time and will do it again in a flash. Just need to figure out a better way of transporting my rig.

Thanks again for doing this Scott, I really appreciate it.

PS is there anyway to get a copy of the video on a DVD from you? I can edit the footage at home or work but I don't have a way to import it from a VCR tape. If you upload the whole thing to a server I could download it, should not loose any quality I would think. Anyway let me know and we'll go from there, thanks.

Rezarf
11-24-2007, 03:51 PM
No pics?

RockRunner
11-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Check the trip report section, Ige posted a bunch

JadeRunner
11-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Made it home around 9:30 towing the Beast. Slick as all could be with my 4runner pushing my truck around.

Like all I too had a great time and will do it again in a flash. Just need to figure out a better way of transporting my rig.

Thanks again for doing this Scott, I really appreciate it.

PS is there anyway to get a copy of the video on a DVD from you? I can edit the footage at home or work but I don't have a way to import it from a VCR tape. If you upload the whole thing to a server I could download it, should not loose any quality I would think. Anyway let me know and we'll go from there, thanks.

I'll see what I can do for you. One 20-30 minute video would several gig in size.

J Kimmel
11-24-2007, 08:00 PM

is there another one?

nuclearlemon
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM

the only pics i've posted so far are in the members only section since i'm using them for a tt writeup. i will have some in trip reports soon.

RockRunner
11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry wrong section, got confused what section it was in

RockRunner
11-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I'll see what I can do for you. One 20-30 minute video would several gig in size.

I have the space and size if you do just let me know.

nuclearlemon
11-24-2007, 10:01 PM
here are some pics to hold some people for now ;)

nuclearlemon
11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
more

nuclearlemon
11-24-2007, 10:04 PM
the guys on the quads were really cool. they hung with us all day. said they were having fun watching us. great company and nice guys. didn't get off the trail until after dark. the last pic is a little chunk o tree that followed me home.

Jacket
11-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Well damn - that's quite a bit of snow for the "banana belt." Nothing like taking a hard trail like that and throwing in some snow and darkness to make it interesting. Wish I could have made it....

Nay
11-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Well damn - that's quite a bit of snow for the "banana belt." Nothing like taking a hard trail like that and throwing in some snow and darkness to make it interesting. Wish I could have made it....

I didn't think it was going to snow much because it rarely does in the banana belt...it was snowing when we hit the trailhead, but it stopped when we were going up the initial rock garden through the squeeze and even showed some sun.

It didn't really fill back in until we were up Whale Rock and heading up all the really tight stuff that leads to the top of the trail and Double Slab. Snowed steady for the next four hours it took us to get off the trail. By the time we were at "Shep's Revenge" as I believe the final wedge is called it was damn slippery, which made some of the descent points interesting.

We left "Shep's" at 4:00 pm and managed to get down before dark. I was pretty sure we weren't going to make it and were going to be heading back down through The Squeeze in the dark, which was gonna be fun, but we made it with about five minutes to spare.

Incredible day.

bskey
11-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Whose rig is this? I want to take a better look at it! Very Nice!http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=6821&stc=1&d=1195966861

Nay
11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
That's the Red Chili - I think the (re)build is a sticky in tech.

bskey
11-25-2007, 05:16 PM
I was thinking that might be his... very nice!

Uncle Ben
11-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Whose rig is this? I want to take a better look at it! Very Nice!http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=6821&stc=1&d=1195966861

Kinda looks like Larry's brother Bill the Cable Guy.

corsair23
11-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Kinda looks like Larry's brother Bill the Cable Guy.

:lmao:

How about the toll collector guy? Sort of does look like a money pouch in his right hand :hill:

Really wish I could have made the trip...We were up in Avon so I figured just a hop over the hill and I'd be there...Nah, instead we went to Beaver Creek Village where I decided to leave my fanny pack behind that lead to about 3 hours of hell trying to find/recover :( - Looks like you all had a blast!

ArloGuthroJeep
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Nice trip guys:) We were up there a week ago and had a full day on the trail w/o snow, props for getting through with some slick stuff on top!

JadeRunner
11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Well I definitely got the challenge I was looking for. Since you couldn't crawl up the rocks you had to get good at carefully bumping them and maintain your momentum without sliding into something to fast. Slicing a sidewall sliding into a rock was my biggest fear all day. I did hit my front tires several times harder than I would have liked but my MTR's held together. My sliders and skids saw a lot of action. I bent one of my sliders in some but that was it. I somehow managed to keep my fender flares and body out of the rocks so that was good..

I was delighted with the group we had. All drivers demonstrated some serious driver skill and had very well equipped rigs to boot. In fact everyone had fronts lockers but me (as long as RockRunner's ARB's stayed engaged). Ige and myself had the small 285\75's everyone else had 35's or larger. The two 80's did really well with there front lockers. They could get their front end up on the rocks and pull on over. Ige complained that she was sliding around more than me with her added weight. But, she wheeled her 80 with a vengeance and only had a few cosmetic issues. Nay spanked the rock pile (Yoder's rock) with snow all over it. He drove it like a champ. I passed on it.

I had to winch twice. I tried and tried but couldn't get up Whale rock and had to winch the easy line to get up. RockRunners rig and big 37" MTR's ate up most things that got in his way. He was having a blast and driver very well. He was the only one able to get up the normal middle line on whale rock and the only one to attempt and conquer the double slab. He was the only one able to get up the normal middle line on whale rock. Red Chili led the trail for me and was able to take the larger lines in attempt to avoid tipping in to rocks on the tight stuff. He tried to crawl as much as possible and would usually end up have to bump and gas it to get around. He took a winch line a few times to keep it safe with his new body job. The ATV guys and us had the trail to ourselves and were in no hurry.

Sheps proved pretty difficult for Chili and Nay. Chilly got really tippy on the high ling and managed to loose his diff fluid. We cleaned it up, put his fill plug in the drain position. We saw the large boulder on the left move a little as Dave Nay hammered into it with his slider. After Nay finally got through, we stacked rocks and the rest of us got through pretty quickly. We tip towed down the rest of the trail, trying not to slide out on the steep spots. Definite pucker factor in a few areas going down to the gulch but then with gravity behind us we had no issues getting off the trail.

We aired up at the trailhead at dark. The snowy and icy drive back on 285 wasn't fun but couldn't dampen a very challenging and fun day on the trail.

Red_Chili
11-26-2007, 07:01 AM
I was thinking that might be his... very nice!
Thanks for the kind words!
Since the Chili is an all-grown-up girl now, I need to fab some steel bras for those new protuberances...:lmao:

Once I do, I will have fewer worries. Came REAL close on a couple rock bumps, but then again I tend to worry. After all, I cleared a rock and a tree with at LEAST 1/2" to spare. :eek:

Oh, Jim...?

And by the way, of course we cleaned up any spilt oil. Which pretty much stayed suspended in the snow. Feel like a moron, gotta fab a diff drag plate to keep that from EVER happening again.

I just happen to have a piece of 3/8" bar stock that should do it. Yessir.

JadeRunner
11-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Feel like a moron, gotta fab a diff drag plate to keep that from EVER happening again.

I just happen to have a piece of 3/8" bar stock that should do it. Yessir.

Can you cut me a piece also while your at it please. I'll get someone to weld it on for me. I'm on my 3rd drain plug, but never had one completely fail on the trail like yours did.

Red_Chili
11-26-2007, 08:45 AM
What, my welder ain't good enuff for ya? :lmao:

My thought now is to go with a skid plate with a hole in the middle for the plug, recessed. Should hold up bunches better than Toyota's method of using a slice of tubing.

Uncle Ben
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words!
Since the Chili is an all-grown-up girl now, I need to fab some steel bras for those new protuberances...:lmao:

Great....there goes his hat band again! Good thing he's not wearing his helmet or we would have a mess! http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Embarrassed/doh.gif

RockRunner
11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words too Scott, you were right I had a BLAST. No amount of snow could have dampened my spirits. It had been a while since I had been on a real trail and this one was great. I can't wait to go back and run when dry and take the lines you guys were talking about.

I do have to correct you on one thing, I have E-lockers ;-) No worries on the locker, I just had to move the gear the moves the fork over one tooth and voila I was locked for the rest of the trail. I still think your 4Runner would great with a solid axle in the front, they even make a 3-4 link set up for those now.

Next time you plan a trip let me know, I will try to make it out again. As I said before I had a BLAST.

Bill, if you are planning on doing the bras yourself let me know. I am planning on an EXO too and would like to get a bender but just can't justify the cost for one job. Maybe we can invest in one together.

Red_Chili
11-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I think I'm gonna have Jim bend me the tubing, he is affordable, I talked to him about it at the car wash a month or two ago. Then I can weld/bolt it on. For that matter I could have him tack it and I can finish it to save a couple bucks. Sumthin like that anywho.

It needs to be removable and I need to keep my bumper air tank function, so no holes there. Should be fun.

JadeRunner
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Here are few pictures from my phone (low quality).

JadeRunner
11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Here are some more pictures from my phone. Nay has my new hand saw. This log was jammed up against Ige's rig preventing her from backing up. She was in a bit of a jam.

Nay
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I "handed" :D your handsaw back to you...did it not get home with you? I'll double check on my end.

JadeRunner
11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I "handed" :D your handsaw back to you...did it not get home with you? I'll double check on my end.

No i meant you were using my new handsaw. I have it.

Nay
11-27-2007, 08:23 PM
No i meant you were using my new handsaw. I have it.

Of course :hill:

I'm looking at that last pic of me diff hung on Shep's and wondering why on earth I didn't just go up the right side all the way like I've been doing for years. Sometimes trying to be conservative is the best way to get in trouble...

AxleIke
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I wish I could of made this, if only to ride and see what i guess is being called "sheps". I'm in disbelief that a truck can drive the right side without rolling. I couldn't when I was up there, and I'm still not sure I'd do it.

Nay
11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I wish I could of made this, if only to ride and see what i guess is being called "sheps". I'm in disbelief that a truck can drive the right side without rolling. I couldn't when I was up there, and I'm still not sure I'd do it.

I used to do it in a 7" lifted Cherokee on a 101" wheelbase - the whole center of that obstacle is rock, so it's not like it should be getting worse, even though I'm the first to admit it "feels" worse because at the top when you start coming back down is not rock and is getting dug out, so you have to hold it longer or drop out with some momentum.

But...you get that right tire hooked up on the high line and you can pretty much drive through if you can stomach the lean (I did it last year with my wife and four kids in the truck, and you'll notice I was alone on this run :D).

I watched Chili taking all the lean and decided I'd had enough and my reward is a candy caned driveshaft that is vibrating just a bit more than it was on Thanksgiving. But at that stage...with the snow...I was pretty much in "avoid the roll at all costs" mode.

In 10 years I've never said this: It is time for me to get a winch. Or 37's :eek:

RockRunner
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
All I can say is....................WHEN do we go back?????????

Red_Chili
11-28-2007, 07:48 AM
But...you get that right tire hooked up on the high line and you can pretty much drive through if you can stomach the lean (I did it last year with my wife and four kids in the truck, and you'll notice I was alone on this run :D).

I watched Chili taking all the lean and decided I'd had enough and my reward is a candy caned driveshaft that is vibrating just a bit more than it was on Thanksgiving. But at that stage...with the snow...I was pretty much in "avoid the roll at all costs" mode.

In 10 years I've never said this: It is time for me to get a winch. Or 37's :eek:
I didn't notice the lean as much (this is candybutt ME talking!) as the rear end sliding left and sending the left side waaaaay close to that rock. That's when I said, "WINCH!".

It's also when I winched over the diff rock and poinked my drain plug!

Being conservative isn't as bad as being conservative and locking up inside. THAT'S when you make mistakes. True on SO many levels and so many areas of life.

Nay
11-28-2007, 09:24 AM
All I can say is....................WHEN do we go back?????????

I'm thinking a January snow run reunion :D

Red_Chili
11-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Should be dry by then... :lmao:

Nay
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Should be dry by then... :lmao:

True :D

Not easy to "plan" an OCG snow run :thumb:

RockRunner
11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm thinking a January snow run reunion :D

Fine with me, would like to do it on a Saturday so we have Sunday to rest.......;)

LandBruiser
11-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Man, that looked like a blast! SO bummed I couldn't make it...was back it KC with the fam. Besides, isn't two white 80's the limit on trails in this area? :hill:Thanks for the report and the pics. My itch to wheel is now even worse.

ScaldedDog
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Holler when it's warm out... :campfire:

Mark

bskey
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I'd love to make that trip! Maybe I'll be locked up by then!

Red_Chili
11-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Holler when it's warm out... :campfire:

Mark
Put your top on!

Your truck's top, I mean...:rant:

:lmao::cheers:

ScaldedDog
11-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Put your top on!

Your truck's top, I mean...:rant:

Oh, yeah, that thing hanging up in the garage... Actually it's not that it's cold inside my rig, it's that the spotting, wrenching and dragging-broken-crap-out-of-the-woods-in-the-cold are really uninteresting to me.

I moved here in the summertime, and stayed because of the summers. Winter only exists to make us appreciate summer. And, of course, to web wheel! :D

Mark

RockRunner
11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Normally there is no snow up there adn 40-50 degrees. It is the warm part of the state with a lower elevation. I am sure you have some cold wheather gear that would protect that delicate skin..........

AxleIke
11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh, yeah, that thing hanging up in the garage... Actually it's not that it's cold inside my rig, it's that the spotting, wrenching and dragging-broken-crap-out-of-the-woods-in-the-cold are really uninteresting to me.

I moved here in the summertime, and stayed because of the summers. Winter only exists to make us appreciate summer. And, of course, to web wheel! :D

Mark

I'm with you man!! I do like to get out in the winter to keep from going crazy, but I'm not about the freezing while fixing.

On the other hand, I do feel just fine when sitting in my climate controlled 4runner watching all the open top guys freeze.

Red_Chili
11-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Normally there is no snow up there adn 40-50 degrees. It is the warm part of the state with a lower elevation. I am sure you have some cold wheather gear that would protect that delicate skin..........
Well... he DOES have a complexion to look after...