PDA

View Full Version : when is toyota going to stop using crappy soft bolts

nuclearlemon
11-25-2007, 01:16 PM
always had issues with their screwdriver heads stripping out on the 40s because the bolts were soft...apparently they still use soft bolts because it was easy as pie for a 1/4" six point to round out the last of four bolts holding the rear elocker motor on. it had already been started with a 3/8s the other night, but we backed off before doing any damage, so i had to drive the entire way home from b.v. with the rear locker engaged. figured today i'd let it soak for a bit in kroil, and try with a 6point and 4" long 1/4" drive. boom...stripped :mad:

now, i've got the upper track? bar removed to try to get in with vice grips, but it's one of those gayass nuts that taper to a flange head, so the vice grips just slide off. have to get the motor off so i can a)go through it, and b) slide the fork or whatever over to disengage the locker.

f%$# soft metal:mad: it's for jeeps.

looks like i'll be grinding the head off which also won't be easy because there's sooooo much crap back there. dont' ask how fun it was to remove the track bar just so i could try to get vice grips on the stupid little bolt either. :mad::mad:

ArloGuthroJeep
11-25-2007, 01:31 PM
For Jeeps? Hardly! Jeeps use the stupid Torx bolts:Princess:

Uncle Ben
11-25-2007, 02:41 PM
For Jeeps? Hardly! Jeeps use the stupid Torx bolts:Princess:

Torx are not stupid! Reusable screws and bolts seem like a very intelligent choice to me! The less Phillips, guaranteed to strip after a couple r&r's, the better!

RockRunner
11-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Ige, if you open the motor be careful to pay attention to the spring location. They are not made to be repaired. I rebuild both of mine and learned after the first one that you have to make sure that the spring is correctly set to help the motor move the fork.

DAMHIK it took me a while to work that one out.

Also if you have the same three electrical contacts and the outside one is rusted away there is a way to fix it. If you are in that situation and need help LMK I had to fix the same.