PDA

View Full Version : have some friends stuck in the mountains-Need advice!

74fj40
12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Have some friends stuck up in silver thorn with a 93' minitruck, he says that it was running fine, stopped to get gas, went about 20 feet after they got gas and it died, he says that it cranks over, its also getting spark, he thinks that its a fuel delivery problem. any ideas?

Chris
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Were they about out of gas? If so they might have sucked up the sludge on the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter.

74fj40
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
he told me they had about a 1/4 tank left before they filled up

RockRunner
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
If they did run out of gas then with the lines empty EFI needs to loaded. I ran my old 4runner out and it took nearly an hour of cranking to get the fuel line full and delivering, plus a dead battery.

If they did not run out of gas I would check all the fuses, then check all the connections in the engine bay. I forgot to hook my mass airflow sensor and the truck barely ran. Not knowing what all the factors are that is all I can give in advice, besides the fact I am not an engine man.

Hope they get it all sorted out and down the hill to meet you.

Uncle Ben
12-01-2007, 02:17 PM
If they did run out of gas then with the lines empty EFI needs to loaded. I ran my old 4runner out and it took nearly an hour of cranking to get the fuel line full and delivering, plus a dead battery.

If they did not run out of gas I would check all the fuses, then check all the connections in the engine bay. I forgot to hook my mass airflow sensor and the truck barely ran. Not knowing what all the factors are that is all I can give in advice, besides the fact I am not an engine man.

Hope they get it all sorted out and down the hill to meet you.

If an EFI system is run out of fuel cranking continuously will only wear down the battery if oil pressure isn't great enough on starter only. EFI systems really on a short timer (usually 3 seconds) and a signal from the oil pressure switch to run the electric fuel pump. To re-prime the system several repeated cranks will allow the timer to run the fuel pump long enough to purge out the air.

nuclearlemon
12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
bad fuel? vehicle will usually run on bad gas tho.

ginericLC
12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Check the gas cap too. When I was in CO this summer I didn't get the cap tight up in Leadville and it ran like crap stalling right after I got gas. I stopped and put the cap on and everything was good.

PatrolMan
12-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Check spark. Igniters are known for dying at random. Determining spark or not is key.

rover67
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
clogged fuel filter possibly from bad gas like ige said.