PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

neliconcept
12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Well I dont know if this is the right place for this, so mods you may do as you wish with the thread :), but I thought id introduce myself. I met some of you guys at the rally at the beginning of this semester (student at CSU).

I have a 2001 4runner with inchworm 5:1 case, f&r arbs, tjm15 bullbar, safari snorkel, 33" firestones (looking to upsize) and about 5.5 inchs of lift in combo with body.

I will definitely talk to some more of you guys at the next meeting if I can.

Also I was going to ask a question, if anybody that has 37s with wheels of 16s or 17s? I was wondering if I could try a set out to see what kind of clearancing I may have and how much axlage id break. I wanted to goto 37s for better breakover angle, have a guy back home who makes custom cryo CV axles for race cars, and could run those, both my diffs are cryoed and id get cromo rear axle shafts to help with the extra tire.

anyways hope to meet some of you guys later, may bring my friend with an fzj80 with 35s down to a meeting once we get all of exams done.

Rezarf
12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcome! :D

I hope you come out and meet everyone sometime. A group usually heads for dinner before the meeting and another crew heads out after for a :beer: or two.

Can't help on the 37's... sorry.

Drew

neliconcept
12-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I'll hopefully be at the next meeting, im assuming its this wednesday right?

Shark Bait
12-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Correct. 7:30 PM Stevinson Toyota West.

Bighead
12-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Also I was going to ask a question, if anybody that has 37s with wheels of 16s or 17s? I was wondering if I could try a set out to see what kind of clearancing I may have and how much axlage id break. I wanted to goto 37s for better breakover angle, have a guy back home who makes custom cryo CV axles for race cars, and could run those, both my diffs are cryoed and id get cromo rear axle shafts to help with the extra tire.

Blake,

With the amount of lift I remember you having from your YT and UY posts, I would think 37s are going to require quite a bit of cutting. I'm running the Tundras/TO spacer up front, LC coils in the rear and a 1.5" BL and I need to do some additional trimming for the 315s I'm running.

I'm trying to make it up for this week's meeting. If I can make it I'll bring my 4Runner so you can see the fit with 315s. Would that help out any?

neliconcept
12-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Blake,

With the amount of lift I remember you having from your YT and UY posts, I would think 37s are going to require quite a bit of cutting. I'm running the Tundras/TO spacer up front, LC coils in the rear and a 1.5" BL and I need to do some additional trimming for the 315s I'm running.

I'm trying to make it up for this week's meeting. If I can make it I'll bring my 4Runner so you can see the fit with 315s. Would that help out any?

yeah id love to see your 4runner

AxleIke
12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah, You'll have to cut a bit blake, probably get rid of the flares completely, and possibly cut into the firewall. Also, you may have to cut into the rear doors. Not too huge, but I don't know how far you want to go.

Only other thing would be height. You're already really tall, and with that expo rack you're looking at fabbing, you'd be really tall and top heavy with 37's.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I'd just look into it a bit. If you do get it to work, it will look really sweet.

neliconcept
12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, You'll have to cut a bit blake, probably get rid of the flares completely, and possibly cut into the firewall. Also, you may have to cut into the rear doors. Not too huge, but I don't know how far you want to go.

Only other thing would be height. You're already really tall, and with that expo rack you're looking at fabbing, you'd be really tall and top heavy with 37's.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I'd just look into it a bit. If you do get it to work, it will look really sweet.

yeah, id rather find some tires to see how it would work then to buy some and be out some money :/ i did find some 37x12.5r16 ssrs on craigs for 100 bucks that are not much tread, but i could shoot a price of 75 and pick em up maybe.

Red_Chili
12-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm a big fan of keeping it low as you can go... :flop: esp. if the plan includes a rack and (ugh) spare tire on top like the Heeps do...

FWIW, removing my roof rack netted me 1-2mpg at highway speeds. Makes you really question having a rack. It is nice having stuff out of the passenger/camping part of the truck though.

That said, if you widen the axles you can get away with more height.

neliconcept
12-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm a big fan of keeping it low as you can go... :flop: esp. if the plan includes a rack and (ugh) spare tire on top like the Heeps do...

FWIW, removing my roof rack netted me 1-2mpg at highway speeds. Makes you really question having a rack. It is nice having stuff out of the passenger/camping part of the truck though.

That said, if you widen the axles you can get away with more height.

true that I will get taller, probablly around 7 feet tall. however Im working on building a rack that is more low profile then the yakima load warrior that I was using before. something about 6 inchs total in height from the roof line compared to the 9 from the load warrior.

right now to the roof with 33s im sitting at 76" so about 78 with 37s? then another 6 inchs which is 84?

but thats only for offroad, ill be sporting 33s for daily driving use. I really want to make this work if I can. im willing to pull the fender flares off anyways as they already takin some hits. I'll trim the fenders with a clean shape, firewall, rear ill trim up into the wheelwell to make it work.

axles should be finished in january i think. ill get some cromo rears from longfield most likely.

oh and no spare on rack, im not into trying to flip it over. spare is tucked underneath.

ill see you guys at the meeting wednesday, cant wait

AxleIke
12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Should see you there.

How many clubs will this be now? 3? 4? You are one happenin guy! :thumb:

neliconcept
12-02-2007, 10:32 PM
haha i try :) sweet Issac ill see ya there then

Cheese
12-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Blake,

I don't come to meetings, but I know you and live in town.

I have my spare 37 sitting in my living room that you are welcome to try at your leisure.

You truck, when last I saw it was bigger than mine and I have a solid axle and 37's. Having the same drivetrain a lot more gear and less weight, I would stop at 35's. With all that gearing and HP, your CV's will hate you on 37's. I imagine they won't like 35's much either. This doesn't even consider road driving.

neliconcept
12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Blake,

I don't come to meetings, but I know you and live in town.

I have my spare 37 sitting in my living room that you are welcome to try at your leisure.

You truck, when last I saw it was bigger than mine and I have a solid axle and 37's. Having the same drivetrain a lot more gear and less weight, I would stop at 35's. With all that gearing and HP, your CV's will hate you on 37's. I imagine they won't like 35's much either. This doesn't even consider road driving.

thanks Adrian, ill come by and bring a case or something and we can chill, (depending on your situation with classes and what not knowing you are super busy)

well hopefully i can find another set of wheels, holding it away from daily driving, i dont have the diff gearing to even drive on 35s either though. but its worth a try and to see something different on an IFS truck, however if it doesnt work out then its not gonna be worth it and ill just stop at 35s :)