PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Good Deal/advice?--1991 Pickup

Bikeman
12-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I am needing daily driver, better mileage, and would keep the LC. I would drive it on good, dry road days. I don't want a 4 door car.

It is a 1991 regular cab pickup, base model, 5speed, 2x4, 22RE, AC, No PS, 160K miles, AZ truck, no rust, clean, owned/taken care of by my friend of 20 years(Owns more Toy trucks). He bought it to haul his dirt bike around. He is wanting $2200 for it. Looks like mid blue book. He says it gets 30mpg in town, it got 42mpg loaded down back to PHX from my wedding a long time ago. Does this sound realistic? I have seen it many times, very clean. I thought at worst, I could flip it down the road and make some $$$.

Also, I would be carrying my 2yo son in a good child seat. I am just wondering if I can get my Boxer in there , too. He comes to the shop with me everyday. Comments?

Chris
12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
It sounds pretty good to me, as a matter of fact if you don't want it let me know so I can look at it.

PatrolMan
12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
30mpg would be very realistic on a daily basis, but 42 sounds like there was a huge tail wind. Very few vehicles can do 42mpg, loaded or not. 30 isn't anything to be ashamed of though! Price sounds fair enough for a clean truck.

Rogue Leader
12-02-2007, 05:40 PM
wish i could do 30mpg. i got 12 with a tailwind
:D

ginericLC
12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I had the same pickup. I bought it new in 1991. I would get 26-28 mpg with it with the topper on with mixed interstate and town. I'd drop to around 24 without the topper on out on the interstate. 30 mpg would definitely be doable but you'd have to have a light foot. When my mom was driving it she said she got 30-31, she drove back road 2 lane highways. 42 mpg NO WAY! Even with a tailwind. What is more probable is that the gas station he filled up at had a faulty meter and he got more gallons that what he paid for.

I would pay that much for that pickup.

PatrolMan
12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I figured a 2wd could pull off 30mpg. My 1987 22r 4x4 gets 22 in town on a regular basis. I can get up to 24 on highway use.

Bikeman
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. It is in PHX, 1100Ft. Maybe thats why he gets 30.

Now, honest opinions please. Would you transport your young in it for short commutes, say 20 mi/day to from childcare? I am used to owning big vehicles, and have concerns of getting squashed in it.

corsair23
12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
They always say most accidents happen within 5 miles of a person's home don't they? Makes sense probably when you figure how ofter you are within 5 miles of your home vs. say 50. Not sure what my point there is though :hill:

In general smaller vehicles aren't as safe as larger vehicles IMO, especially when you go up against larger vehicles. That said, how many millions of children have and are transported safely every day in small vehicles? Obviously back seats are the same position but hard to make that work in a single cab :)

I do forsee an issue with the dog and child both in front though. Not sure how big your boxer is? I use to own an '83 SR5 PU and it was no fun having both my dog and a passenger in the front at the same time. Of course those were adults sitting in front with the dog at the time. Will the Boxer lay down on the PS footwell area and stay? Not the safest spot for him/her maybe in the event of an accident but neither would he/she be very safe sitting in between you and your son (assuming the PU has a bench seat?)...

Sorry for the rambling response...

subzali
12-03-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a 1991 22RE 2wd, extended cab deluxe model with a topper. 185K. I used to get around 28-30 and have recorded 32, but then I screwed up my MAF and had to get a new one and ever since then I've been sitting between 24-27. 42? I don't think so, even with altitude difference, but that's MHO...

As far as driving it around - very good visibility, easy to maneuver (I've got p/s though), lots of utility, long wheelbase makes it stable - I don't have issues driving between trucks on the interstate, though I would prefer not to be in front of big trucks, so I'm conscious of that. If you look at all the people running around in small cars and doing just fine, I think it's okay to consider the same. The economy/utility combo is nice. Having a dog and a kid in the front might be an issue...

Bikeman
12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, thanks for the replies. Looks like I will pass on this one. I will start looking for, uhh, well, a 4 door car, something toyota or VW.

PatrolMan
12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
I used to have a 1990 4Runner. Great for more than 2 people or for a kid in the back. The 4 doors was super handy and it was "safer" than a smaller truck in my mind. Still got 22mpg. Not too shabby. Great for hauling things too and in the snow! Being single, I sold it as I just didn't need 4 doors anymore. Otherwise would certainly still have it.

Bikeman
12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I had an '86 4runner. Now I wish I had it back.

How about the T-100's? Anyone know the mileage on 2x4 manuals? A regular cab can handle the child seat and Boxer, since I borrowed my ex F-150 reg. cab from my f-in-law while I was overhauling my knuckles.

I have been looking at old Lexus's since I know those things run forever. Just can't see myself driving a Camry, etc.

PatrolMan
12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I now drive a 87 4Runner. Wanted the removeable top. The 90 has the 4 doors and was great. A little more civilized too with the rear coils. Drives more like a "car" but is still surely capable offroad! An older Lexus would be cool too. I have considered one as a commuter.

nakman
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
A 2wd T-100 will get around 25-26 highway, 22ish city. 4wd T-100's aren't any better than anything else 4wd, high teens to 22 or so, same as 4 runners.