PDA

View Full Version : Oh No My bank account is Frozen

Romer
12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
My bank of America bank account is Frozen.

Wait a minute, I don't have an account there.

Be careful of these scams I got one the other day from Paypal and rather than doing what it said, forwarded to paypal customer service and they confirmed it was a scam.

Be careful out there

Groucho
12-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I got one from Paypal saying the watch I just paid for had a message from the seller that I had to login to Paypal in order to read it. It had a link that was like ww3.paypal.blah blah. Clikc on the link, page looked just like paypal, except one thing. the # of members was like 60 million. Logged onto the www.paypal.com site from a new browser window, the # of members was like 20 mil more. Sent it to Paypal fraud, confirmed it was a phishing scam.

Hate that.

Tch2fly
12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I had a similar email but it was sent to an address that was NOT associated with my PayPal acct so I was tipped off right way.

Be careful out there, lot's of folks trying to scam the unwary.

Red_Chili
12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, Ken- that was a very sophisticated email. Except for the telltale prefix, "sitekey..."

They must be upper crust phishers going after Beemer drivers. :lmao:

Hulk
12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
You can always look at the source code of the e-mail and look at the actual path of the link. The key part of the domain is the part just before the .com or .net. Sometimes you'll see really long domains, like this:

paypal.accountmanagement.nethooligans.com (bad)

The only part that matters in this case is the nethooligans.com -- the rest are subdomains.

paypal.accountmanagement.paypal.com (good)

In this case, the actual domain would be paypal.com -- so this link would be safe.

nakman
12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
The best rule is, NEVER click a link in an email. Instead, go to paypal.com, or bankofamerica.com, or whatever.com, then log in to your account. If there really is an issue, they'll tell you about it there.

neliconcept
12-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I do have bank of america, and they dont email, they call you, so yeah i dont trust emails inless its also by phone.

corsair23
12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
My motto...Trust no one :)

I don't even trust the ones when they call (which is rare) and if it sounds legit will ask for their 800 #, check it against what I know to be a good #, and then call back the number I know.

Email scammers....hate 'em

Uncle Ben
12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Speaking of phone scams....twice now a phone scammer has hit our land line. Both times it was a very official sounding representative from Sams. I got the first one quite a while ago....Lady called, ID'ed herself as working for Sams collection department (actually had a legitimate sounding title I don't remember) and informed me our account had a unpaid balance of I think it was $200ish dollars. She said if I paid it by phone right then it would not be sent to a collection agency. I refused to give her my check card on the phone and she got quite pushy. I demanded her name and contact information (which she gave). I told her I was headed directly to Sams Club to Pay the bill. (I assumed my wife must cave charged something) The lady was quite pissy and told me she was forwarding the info on to the collection agency. (of course at this time I was getting PO'ed and doubting) Of course once at Sams no record could be found of my debt....we filed a report and the supervisor actually did make contact with the lady who hung up on him. Nothing came about from this encounter. This exact same scam nailed my wife about 2ish months ago! We went through the same routine and same results. It's spooky that this goes on, spookier that these asshats don't get caught and spookiest how many folks probably fall for it! Never ever give passwords or CC numbers on the phone or internet by a request like this! If it's legitimate there will be some way to verify!

ginericLC
12-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Not having a land line does cut down on this. The only calls we ever get are from the CC company saying there is erratic behavior in our account. Like this summer when within 9 weeks it was used in Oregon, Nevada, California, Idaho, Montana, back to Idaho, back to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and back to Idaho. What is scary about this particular call was that they called on the 8th week. I would think that this would have flagged their abnormal activity indicator sooner. They also made us change our numbers after this trip for "security reasons".

My dad just got scammed. He got an email from ebay. But it wasn't really from ebay. Somehow just off of looking at an auction from a link from the false ebay email they picked up his ebay user id and password and started bidding on things. What was crazy is my dad was getting the email notices that he was bidding on these obscure items from the real ebay. Retracting a bid from Ebay is about as hard as it is to get the BLM to change a travel plan. So finally I just canceled my dad's ebay account. Ebay sucks when it comes to handling a dispute. And they hide all of the links to bid retractions, closing accounts, etc... so they aren't easy to find. Just thought this fit in with your other scam email stories.

wesintl
12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
i've gotten alot from ebay scammers. In the ebay scammer world I have untold amounts of unpaid items i've won :rolleyes:

corsair23
12-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Not having a land line does cut down on this.

As does having an unlisted number and putting ALL your phone numbers on the Do Not Call list :D - benefit of having a hard land line (not VoIP) that many don't realize is that when your power goes out, if you have an old style phone (i.e. not cordless) your phone will still work since it actually gets its power from the phone company :thumb: - Probably more important for older folks or if you live a long way from civilization. My in-laws were snowed in for a week without power but their phone still worked. A few years ago my mom was snowed in for a few days without power but her phone still worked. I have an old style phone that sits in the basement for just these occassions.

Ebay sucks when it comes to handling a dispute. And they hide all of the links to bid retractions, closing accounts, etc... so they aren't easy to find.

x2 - Ebay AND PayPal SUCK if you ever have to dispute something. 2+ months ago I won an auction on Ebay, paid through PayPal, and the seller never sent the item. I have an email from them (which I shared with PayPal) stating that yes they knew the item was never sent due to an "availability issue" on their end. Guess what, PayPal DENIED my claim/dispute for a refund (after the seller stopped responding to my emails) due to the fact that I didn't provide a tracking number to prove I returned the item. WTF? :rant:

Red_Chili
12-06-2007, 03:21 PM
When we were more countrified, after a big storm and tree limbs etc. etc. we had power, but no phone! But yeah, most folks have buried phone lines these days.

You couldn't contest the charge to PayPal on your credit card? Sounds like they simply misunderstood (giving a large margin of benefit of the doubt to them here...)?

corsair23
12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
When we were more countrified, after a big storm and tree limbs etc. etc. we had power, but no phone! But yeah, most folks have buried phone lines these days.

True...phone lines cut aren't good news :)

You couldn't contest the charge to PayPal on your credit card? Sounds like they simply misunderstood (giving a large margin of benefit of the doubt to them here...)?

Contesting it now. Took me awhile to pen the letter and gather the data, then $2 to mail it (should give you an idea of how much "proof" I sent). As for PayPal misunderstanding...They understood as I emailed them on numerous occassions, answered all of their questions, spoke with them directly on several occassions and each time the person I spoke with agreed with me and that this "should be" a cut and dry resolution. One lady even told me I would have my $$ back within 48 hours. Guess what...The people you talk with on the phone, they aren't the ones making the decisions and according to them I could not speak with the people that do make the decisions :mad:. Now I just have to figure out how to leave negative feedback for the seller without receiving negative in return :D