PDA

View Full Version : recommend a good router?

nakman
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
A completely ambiguous help thread... :D

I need to get a new network router for the house, one that I can plug a couple of computers directly into, but also have wireless available for the laptops and guests. What about a simple Linksys G router for $50, do I need to get any fancier than that? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=628108&Sku=L48-2230

And I also need a tool that will chamfer the edges of some wood shelving, round some outdoor furniture parts, basic wood router stuff. I don't think I need the "plunge" feature, but honestly I've never used a router that had it so maybe it's worth getting? Would like to stay under ~$100 since this is a tool that doesn't get used too much.. anyone?

Rogue Leader
12-10-2007, 05:09 PM
i've got 4 wireless laptops and two PCs plugged into my linksys router. runs great:)

Rezarf
12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Bosch plunge base with a half inch arbor. :D

Romer
12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Just make sure whichever one you get and the network cards are vista compatible for future upgrades.

Shark Bait
12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Assuming you want a wireless router, depending on how secure you want it to be, you'll want it to support WPA. :eek:

Rogue Leader
12-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Actually WPA is somewhat old. WPA 2 is newer but not compatible with older computers. better protection but as stated above may not be compatible

corsair23
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Tim,

I've got that Linksys router and it seems to work fine. Only going 1st floor to 2nd floor, right above/below so it isn't going far. Not sure on the newer ones but I'm pretty sure mine will only hard connect 2-3 computers. For the wireless end, I went with the little Linksys USB wireless dealyo for the 2nd computer so it can be easily moved from computer to computer if needed.

Only things to note is that if your signal is crap and you need to upgrade to the bigger antennas, they are like $80 :eek:

Also, when we were using older 2.4Ghz cordless phones I noticed that they would interrupt the signal for the router...

Uncle Ben
12-10-2007, 06:26 PM
i've got 4 wireless laptops and two PCs plugged into my linksys router. runs great:)

X2 on Linksys! I have my laptop dock and my main tower in the office hardwired. The old E-machine is downstairs in the "craft" closet providing more hard drive storage. The daughters are always wireless net and printer sharing with their school laptops when needed. Life is good in the summer when you can have your beer and laptop swing in the hammock with you! I used to use a D-Link router and I got tired of it losing net settings on me.

Uncle Ben
12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Just make sure whichever one you get and the network cards are vista compatible for future upgrades.

Bzzzzzzzt.....I will switch to Mac (not going to happen) before I switch to Vista unless Gates finally makes it worthy!

Convert
12-10-2007, 06:32 PM
And I also need a tool that will chamfer the edges of some wood shelving, round some outdoor furniture parts, basic wood router stuff. I don't think I need the "plunge" feature, but honestly I've never used a router that had it so maybe it's worth getting? Would like to stay under ~$100 since this is a tool that doesn't get used too much.. anyone?

I have one you can borrow :thumb:

nakman
12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I have one you can borrow :thumb:

Thanks, Dan. My last router was on loan from a friend for like 5 years, I finally gave it back to her about a year ago... I need to get my own here, I know I'll use it.

As for the Wi Fi, we've got a Microsoft router here that works pretty good, in fact every computer in the house is wireless. I've got a little USB antenna that works alright when on the counter, but won't work inside the closet with the CPU for some reason. But any time the power goes off we lose internet until we find the right combination of resets between the cable modem and the router, it can get kind of annoying. So in my next house, I'm going to run CAT5 everywhere and just plug in.

Hants
12-10-2007, 09:20 PM
If you have a cable modem, you should power down both the modem and your router. Wait about 30 seconds, then turn on the cable modem. Once the lights stabilize (typically 1-3 minutes), turn on the router.

That's the protocol I settled into back when I had cable...

Beater
12-11-2007, 08:17 AM
any basic router will work for home use...

JadeRunner
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I recommend Linksys as well. We standardized on the WRT54G Linksys for remote users here at work after trying various other models. My Linksys SpeedBooster version (more memory) and the larger antennas covers my whole house real well. I wired cat5 for my main desktop downstairs but I wouldn't have had too.

I would only mess with cat5 to a few key locations, wireless will take care of the rest. Especially when we all have the new generation wireless (Ultra Wideband-UWB).

Hants
12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
My DSL modem came with wireless, but it was slow with even two users. I had as many as 7 concurrent users and it was extremely slow. Ended up turning off the built-in AP, and adding a separate, high-tech new-fangled, NetGear WPN802v2. It has newer, smarter antennas built-in. It is MUCH faster with multiple clients, has great signal strength, and doesn't periodically just stop passing some host's traffic.

I run my desktop (work) computer hard-wired, and have two laptops right next to it that run wireless. For internet stuff, they're all about the same speed.

leiniesred
12-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I run a cisco 2610 modular router. It is 100% uptime as long as the power is up.
Unplug and reboot? Unheard of.

I connected it in an "unsupported configuration" to QWEST with a WIC1-ADSL card.
It also has an AIM-VPNEPII card for off-loading the 3DES encryption/decryption load of my VPN.

It only has 2 Ethernet connections, but it could host a 16 port GB ethernet network module too. I just run a separate switch for now.

Behind the 2610, I run a Cisco PIX 515E firewall and a Cisco 2924XL 24 port switch. Wireless is hosted by a Cisco 1200 series access point.

A little much for a home network? yeah. I guess.

In summary, I'll recommend the WRT54G.