PDA

View Full Version : T-Case going south??

Speedracer
12-11-2007, 10:34 PM
My transfer case sounded terrible today. When in 4 wheel drive and coasting it sounds like I've got gravel in the T-Case. When I'm accelerating it sounds fine. Shifts in and out of 4wheel drive just fine. Just sounds terrible when off the power and coasting. Any suggestions? Or do I just need to tear into and see whats wrong? Its a 78 FJ40, 4 speed trans, stock transfer case, 35" tires, Detriot Locker in the front, Aussie Locker in the Rear.

subzali
12-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Sounds like mine...hopefully someone knows what it is. Does it do it in 2hi when the hubs are locked or just 4hi?

nuclearlemon
12-12-2007, 09:38 AM
bearings

rover67
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
mine is doing the same thing. I am going to take it apart soon.

really frustrating since i just took it apart and put all new bearings in it.

is your silent in 2wd?

Rezarf
12-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Mine sounds like that too, remember you are adding a few more gears to the mix. Mine likes to rumble a little.

Drew

wesintl
12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I would double check the u joints or the pinion bearing. If those are loose it will sound bad in 4wd. front output nose cone bearing too.

subzali
12-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Put isn't all that stuff spinning anyway when your hubs are locked? :confused:

Mine only does it when the shifter is engaged in 4hi...but not in 2hi with the hubs locked.:confused:

Rezarf
12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I know my pinion bearing needs work for sure... like lots of work.

Drew

Speedracer
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Mine also does it in 2hi with the hubs locked. When running down the highway in 2wd with the hubs unlocked the whole drive trains sounds fine. Very little vibration in either the tranny shifter or the t-case shifter. All American 4wheel drive is here by my office so I'm taking it by there this afternoon to let them listen to it. They put new gears and bearings in my rear 3rd member over the summer and did an excellent job so I trust them. Might also take it to another shop in Castle Rock for a 2nd opinion.

Speedracer
12-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Wes, your reply just jogged my memory. When I was running circle track in Kansas City I had the pinion nut loosen up on me one night. It exhibited the same noise as what I'm hearing now. Fine when under power, but when you let off the gas sounds like gravel in the gears. I'll have to check that.

rover67
12-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Mine is just like your matt. weird.

I think it has to be one of the bearings in the transfer case.

you gonna take your apart soon?

subzali
12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Nope. I'm going to put it back together because I've looked at everything so far and it all looks good. I'm going to see if it keeps doing it - but I need that truck on the road again soon. I figure if it still does it I can tear into this summer when I don't necessarily need the truck - plus it'll be warmer and I hate wrenching in the winter.

Uncle Ben
12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Nope. I'm going to put it back together because I've looked at everything so far and it all looks good. I'm going to see if it keeps doing it - but I need that truck on the road again soon. I figure if it still does it I can tear into this summer when I don't necessarily need the truck - plus it'll be warmer and I hate wrenching in the winter.
Try using thicker Gear lube and see if the whine changes....could just be worn gears!

Speedracer
12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Well All American seems to think that my noise is coming from the bearings on the Idler shaft. They are going to rebuild the entire T-Case for $1100.00. That includes the kit and all the labor to pull it, rebuild it, and replace it.

rover67
12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
yep, i'm tempted to do that.

go get some thick-o stuff and throw it in there.

Shark Bait
12-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Well All American seems to think that my noise is coming from the bearings on the Idler shaft. They are going to rebuild the entire T-Case for $1100.00. That includes the kit and all the labor to pull it, rebuild it, and replace it.

How much is the kit?

wesintl
12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
put some lucas additive in it. I've had that stuff quiet cases before.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=25&catid=2&loc=show

treerootCO
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
my t-case made lots of noise and 140weight did quiet it down :p:

Speedracer
12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm running 140wt grease in it now and it is still noisy. The kit was $400. Same price from Man-A-Fre on the web. There are other kits that are cheeper, but this one has everything in it.

Red_Chili
12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
For a bloody TRANSFER CASE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD??!
Are cruiser tcases really that much more complex than a minitruck case?
If so, ..... yech!

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 02:57 PM
For a bloody TRANSFER CASE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD??!
Are cruiser tcases really that much more complex than a minitruck case?
If so, ..... yech!

Nope....just stouter. 1100 is nuts as you can get a new case for close to that!

Rezarf
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Add a handful more C-notes and you are in the custom orion and marlin toy box range!

MDH33
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Mine only does it when the shifter is engaged in 4hi...but not in 2hi with the hubs locked.:confused:

Same here, lots of noise when coasting in 4 hi. I also noticed that it sounds worse lately and my front pinion is leaking a little... :o Am I doing any irreparable harm by driving it this way?? I don't have the time or funds to tear into it right now. Sounds like a good spring project though, new 4 speed and TC. :thumb:

treerootCO
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
225 for parts - not OE but aftermarket

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat070.tam?xax=19836&page%2Ectx=cat070%2Etam

Uncle Ben
12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Same here, lots of noise when coasting in 4 hi. I also noticed that it sounds worse lately and my front pinion is leaking a little... :o Am I doing any irreparable harm by driving it this way?? I don't have the time or funds to tear into it right now. Sounds like a good spring project though, new 4 speed and TC. :thumb:

Hmmmm I think I did hear a gear whine one day in the 80 .....only happens with the small pulley on the SC! (and from me at the pump! :( ) :lmao: :bowdown: :kevin: :hill:

subzali
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Is it the dinosaur thing? I'm still so confused...

farnhamstj
12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I had CTS do my 78 tranny and t-case. I believe it was $1500 for the pair.
I droped a rear pinion due to a loose nut, sounded like gravel. Until the rear wheels locked up at 20 mph and I stopped faster than the 40 ever had before.

Rzeppa
12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
When that happened to me, I discovered a rock had knocked my drain plug off. Plugged it up, refilled with 90wt and all was well. You might want to check your fluid level just to make sure it's okay.

Speedracer
01-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Well here is what was wrong with my T-Case. The guy that I bought the FJ from in Kansas City had rebuilt the T-Case prior to me buying the rig. Well apparently he didn't get the nut tightened down enough on the output shaft of the transmission because it came off and was bouncing around in the T-Case. It beat up the inside of the case pretty good and put some minor damage on a couple of gears.

The shop rebuilt the T-Case for me which included getting the kit, cleaning up the gears, machining the case so now I don't have to worry about using gaskets to set my clearances. Drove it home yesterday and the transmission and T-Case is super smooth and quiet now. That missing nut was also causing a pretty nasty clunk in the transmission when you let out the clutch.

Shark Bait
01-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Ahh, the loose nut. Usually it's behind the wheel. :eek::lmao:

subzali
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
yep, i'm tempted to do that.

go get some thick-o stuff and throw it in there.

So I took my truck into town to do a shakedown run, make sure all my hubs are running cool etc., and I put a pint of Lucas additive into my t-case while it was apart. Even though I didn't see anything obvious when I pulled the inspection covers and front nosecone, bearings all spun freely etc., I think I still heard the noise, though much less apparent with the Lucas oil. If all goes well I'll have it on Wednesday so if you guys want to go for a quick spin to compare LMK.

MDH33
02-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Good job getting it back together and on the road! :thumb:

Still think it was the TC making the rumbling and not the front diff? I'll be bringing my 40 on Wednesday too, so we can compare. I hope adding a heavy weight oil to my TC can help it out.

subzali
02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Well since I have a new front diff now residing in my front axle and the sound is still there I'm thinking it's t-case related, unless of course it's u-joint related, but all my bolts are locktighted and I don't fell any play in the u-joints themselves...I dunno :confused:

You moved up on the hill too eh?