PDA

View Full Version : So with all this 80 lust happening...

Red_Chili
12-13-2007, 10:57 AM
All the posts, everybody wants an 80... I just had to ask:
"They feel guilty about what they've done," said Ablow. "They lie to others just like an addict or an alcoholic would lie to family members about the use of a substance and they spend a lot of time thinking about shopping and how they will feel when they get it."

So, what causes someone to compulsively shop?
"The root cause of all addictions is to anesthetize one self from inner pain," said Ablow. "People who fall victim to shopping are using it like a drug because they are feeling impoverished emotionally or as though they don't have enough love, confidence or self-esteem."

Signs of Addiction
If you're concerned a family member or friend may be a shopping addict, Ablow said there are several tell tale signs to look for.
— People who express excitement about their purchases or great anxiety
— Anyone who is juggling finances to try to cover expenses that seem like needless ones
— History is our best guide: People who have gotten into trouble with their credit cards in the past but can't stop using them
— Someone that seems in great conflict with family members or friends
— If a person is making big purchases to feel wealthy or well-liked
— Someone who lies about their purchases or hides them
Linkie (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316610,00.html)

:hill:

Red_Chili
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Whew. They have cures:
Making Changes

- Reduce temptations, esp. 4x4 boards

- Cut up those credit cards, close charge accounts and throw away credit card offers (and links to autobuyer.com and Craigslist)

- Make lists before going to the store and buy what you need only (hmmm...)

- Wait so many hours before purchase (or days, or years...)

- Ask yourself if you need something or do you just want it? (obviously NOT a *need*...)

- Develop other ways to handle emotions (like, complaining about club shirts or something)

- Find other fun ways to spend your time (like, overhauling your front axle)

- Learn to ride through urges (is that the same as wheeling through urges?)

DaveInDenver
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Yup, I'm a shopalcoholic, combining my two great weaknesses often ends up in drunken Internet spending binges.

60wag
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I waited about 4 years or so before actually buying the 80.

Romer
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Sooooo, how much did it cost putting Red Chile back together.

Red_Chili
12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Me?
Or the insurance company? hehehehe.....

RockRunner
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I am a Shopaholic..................and a big one at that. Now I just need to cure myself, easier said than done.

corsair23
12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
No comment...I'm in total denial of any problems I don't have :hill:

ginericLC
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
If you really want make yourself feel bad, look up what defines a "cult".

I've made it to the first step to curing my addiction to Cruisers. I've admitted that I'm addicted to them. I'll never get off the first step because it contradicts being addicted. :)

Nay
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Hmmm...what do you think of this winch bumper idea, everything on top of the frame rails, cutting the rails at 45 degrees and boxing them? I just refinanced and have a short window of opportunity. Got the rate down 1.5% on my second, paid off a huge credit card and the 80 without any increase in my monthly payment on the line due the rate decrease, and it's time for a xmas present for daddy. My wife said we had to do the hoop to balance out the look :D

Uncle Ben
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I don't know about addiction, but what do you think of this winch bumper idea, everything on top of the frame rails, cutting the rails at 45 degrees and boxing them? I just refinanced and have a short window of opportunity. Got the rate down 1.5% on my second, paid off a huge credit card and the 80 without any increase in my monthly payment on the line due the rate decrease, and it's time for a xmas present for daddy :D

It certainly looks happy! :)

Nay
12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
It certainly looks happy! :)

Yep :D

Shark Bait
12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Looks like it's got water injection, too. :D

corsair23
12-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Not sure if you were planning to close off the open areas but I like it better with the open sections "filled in"...

Note my awesome Paint skilz :hill:

nakman
12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
That looks cool, Nay.. and Corsair you got mad paint skilz. But kind of looks like the one that Green Machine built, but with the stinger hoop http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5478

farnhamstj
12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Internet had brought shopping to men. I hated shopping. Now I'm looking at all kinds of crap. I learned the credit card game early on. 1st credit card(19years old) got a set of Bridgestones for my rig. Took me almost 5 years and countless late fees to pay it off. Bet I spent at least double the price of the tires. Now my CC balance is paid off each month.(cause my wife is on top of it)

Beater
12-15-2007, 09:47 AM
see the front of my truck. Just buy my truck, swap the bumper, then sell my truck again!!!!

j