PDA

View Full Version : Merits of Ham radio wheeling

Groucho
12-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Advantages and disadvantages, Discuss...

Uncle Ben
12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Uncle Ben, I have a space at the front of the class for you and Ige. If you guys do show up, I will also have special shirts printed just for you guys!

:flipoff: :zilla::kevin: = ::thumb::thumb::cool:

:rolleyes:

Rogue Leader
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
im interested. those times are good also

Thanks
Sean Jones

art hog
12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Im in too.Where are they going to be held?

Groucho
12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I will try and gain access to our standard meeting room at Stevinson. Stand by for verification...

Convert
12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Nathaniel I think BVB may interested also I sent him a link

art hog
12-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Is it just 14 bucks?

leiniesred
12-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I really don't want to add another electrical thing to the truck, but I guess I could go hand-held. I'm in.

Groucho
12-19-2007, 05:50 AM
Nathaniel I think BVB may interested also I sent him a link

Nice!

Is it just 14 bucks?

Three Amateur operators that have been certified as a Volunteer Examiners(and one as a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator) must administer the exam. This is usually most available through a club. The processing fee the Amateur Radio Clubs charge to administer the exam(FCC paperwork fee) is $14. The license from the FCC is actually free.

I really don't want to add another electrical thing to the truck, but I guess I could go hand-held. I'm in.

Just throw out the CB and you'll have plenty of room! :D
Glad to hear it.

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Just throw out the CB and you'll have plenty of room! :D
Glad to hear it.

Yes, then you too can be all stiff and nerd like when you call up Whiskey Zero India India November! Or you could just keep the CB and talk to the rest of us like normal and without the top button on the shirt fastened! :p::lmao:

"CQ......this is Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November seeking Kilo Charlie Zero Zebra Alpha Foxtrot........I was going to tell you to watch out for that rock about to puncture your gas tank but it's too late.....Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November clear" :rolleyes: :p:

nakman
12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey :zilla:, in class you'll learn you only need to identify your call sign once every 10 minutes. Doesn't even need to be the first transmission either. And in fact, on the trail running simplex on low power who's keeping track, anyway. chat it up.

Shark Bait
12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
One REALLY nice thing is you don't have to put up with the over powered, red neck, bible thumping yahoos chattering over the top of you. Or the Spanish language skips, either. :eek:

Groucho
12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey, way to go! You are already through half of the exam with knowing the correct phonetic alphabet! Just finish it! See, the class already is working!

However, I stray slightly from the "official ITU phonetic alphabet" characters, and it is Whiskey Zero, Item-Item Nancy. Originally my grandfathers callsign(now silent-key), and also how he gave the callsign on the air.

Yes, then you too can be all stiff and nerd like when you call up Whiskey Zero India India November! Or you could just keep the CB and talk to the rest of us like normal and without the top button on the shirt fastened! :p::lmao:

"CQ......this is Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November seeking Kilo Charlie Zero Zebra Alpha Foxtrot........I was going to tell you to watch out for that rock about to puncture your gas tank but it's too late.....Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November clear" :rolleyes: :p:

K, it is too bad you are purveying Ross' argument against CB by further radicating the idea that everyone who wants to stay CB is a foul-mouthed hooligan who cares less about his buddy decapitating himself on the obstacles than he does in hearing the sound of his own voice. :D

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey :zilla:, in class you'll learn you only need to identify your call sign once every 10 minutes. Doesn't even need to be the first transmission either. And in fact, on the trail running simplex on low power who's keeping track, anyway. chat it up.

Roger that Kilo Charlie Zero Zebra Alpha Foxtrot! ;)

Pop quiz....
What term describes a brief transmission that does not include any station identification?
a. A test emission with no identification required.
b. An illegal un-modulated transmission
c. An illegal unidentified transmission
d. A non-voice ID transmission

:p::hill:

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey, way to go! You are already through half of the exam with knowing the correct phonetic alphabet! Just finish it! See, the class already is working!

However, I stray slightly from the "official ITU phonetic alphabet" characters, and it is Whiskey Zero, Item-Item Nancy. Originally my grandfathers callsign(now silent-key), and also how he gave the callsign on the air.

K, it is too bad you are purveying Ross' argument against CB by further radicating the idea that everyone who wants to stay CB is a foul-mouthed hooligan who cares less about his buddy decapitating himself on the obstacles than he does in hearing the sound of his own voice. :D

Ouch....wheres the love man? :confused: :hill:
Preaching about the need to throw down a wad of cash and "upgrade" to better communication seems like telling someone to throw in a locker instead of replacing their bald tires! I agree about having better communication possibilities in the runs but there are still folks out there with no radio at all. "Tossing out your CB's" seems like a boisterous statement defending your desire to be the king of the airwaves! It creates the same communication loss into the run as no radio at all! Maybe instead of focusing so much energy on talking to other time zones you should come back to earth and focus on how can you communicate to others that are less than a mile from you! :D

Groucho
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Serve. Point. Game.

The class is only done for those who choose to participate. Thank you for sharing your desire not to do so.

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Serve. Point. Game.

The class is only done for those who choose to participate. Thank you for sharing your desire not to do so.

I never said I didn't want to attend! I have been and am just stirring the pot. I feel this IS a great asset to the club and I embrace to whole theory. Whether or not I become a ham is irrelevant. Seeing the posts on MUD and watching clubs like NM, AZ and even TX dividing on communication choices is freaking stupid! What is Rising Sun about? My feeling is clubs like ours are there so folks can join and learn the ropes safely and network with friendships and resources with a huge side benefit of working together to preserve our privileges for generations to come. We all equip our rigs differently but some simple things like basic communication is a safety item, change that item from simple to technical and the end goal will be lost! ;) :thumb::thumb::cheers:

art hog
12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Shark Bait;54652] you don't have to put up with the over powered, red neck, bible thumping yahoos chattering over the top of you.

so. can i bible thump on ham or not? if not, Im out:beer:

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 12:15 PM
so. can i bible thump on ham or not? if not, Im out:beer:

Only if it's Kosher! :lmao::lmao::hill:

Hulk
12-19-2007, 02:42 PM
On the first runs I went on with Windy City back in 1996, I had no CB. Soon I found out I was missing out on half the fun. The very first mod I made to my 1981 FJ40 was to buy a CB, and it's still in use today.

On the Ghost Town Run in the summer of 2006, we had an enormous group. We soon found that the back couldn't communicate very well with the front with our CBs. Later, we had one group go to town for lunch, while another group of us chose to hit another trail and have a picnic. Even though we were only a few miles apart, we couldn't communicate. The need for something better than a CB became clear.

I wasn't completely convinced until I did the pre-run of Hotel Rock and Arch Canyon with the Wasatch guys in early March of this year (2007). The guys with CBs couldn't talk with one another from front to back, while the guys with Ham had no problems. As we left on Sunday morning, Ben Ashcraft and Dan Reinmuth did a test to see how far the could transmit without a repeater. Result was about 30 miles. That was when I made the decision to get my license and buy a radio.

It's not an elitist thing. It's just a better tool.

I wasn't happy to spend more money on another radio when I already had a CB in each of my Land Cruisers. But as soon as I used it on the trail, I was glad I'd spent the money. Like a Toyota, it just works. No need to constantly tweak it.

If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham.

I don't understand this hostile and negative campaign against the use of ham radio. I think it started as a joke. Is it still a joke?

Hulk
12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Three Amateur operators that have been certified as a Volunteer Examiners(and one as a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator) must administer the exam. This is usually most available through a club. The processing fee the Amateur Radio Clubs charge to administer the exam(FCC paperwork fee) is $14. The license from the FCC is actually free.

I have my General license, as do you and Sharkbait. Might we administer our own exam?

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 02:50 PM
On the first runs I went on with Windy City back in 1996, I had no CB. Soon I found out I was missing out on half the fun. The very first mod I made to my 1981 FJ40 was to buy a CB, and it's still in use today.

On the Ghost Town Run in the summer of 2006, we had an enormous group. We soon found that the back couldn't communicate very well with the front with our CBs. Later, we had one group go to town for lunch, while another group of us chose to hit another trail and have a picnic. Even though we were only a few miles apart, we couldn't communicate. The need for something better than a CB became clear.

I wasn't completely convinced until I did the pre-run of Hotel Rock and Arch Canyon with the Wasatch guys in early March of this year (2007). The guys with CBs couldn't talk with one another from front to back, while the guys with Ham had no problems. As we left on Sunday morning, Ben Ashcraft and Dan Reinmuth did a test to see how far the could transmit without a repeater. Result was about 30 miles. That was when I made the decision to get my license and buy a radio.
It's not an elitist thing. It's just a better tool.

I wasn't happy to spend more money on another radio when I already had a CB in each of my Land Cruisers. But as soon as I used it on the trail, I was glad I'd spent the money. Like a Toyota, it just works. No need to constantly tweak it.

If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham.

I don't understand this hostile and negative campaign against the use of ham radio. I think it started as a joke. Is it still a joke? It is (at least in my head) still a joke! :zilla: ;) I do disagree with the first any only radio choice though! Look at it this way......Being a Toyota club we generally run with all or nearly all Toyota 4x4's. Nearly all of those Toyotas are in TLCA. TLCA has roughly 4000 members and of those members I would say less than 100 have ham radios. Are you saying screw talking to the other 3900 Toyheads because they don't have the same equipment you have? With that kind of attitude those other 3900 probably don't want to talk to you anyway! Face the fact.....the majority of wheelers out there will continue to use CB if they have any radio at all and if your decide to use something different, exclusively, you are the one missing out! Ham has it's place and it IS a good thing but it IS also elitist!

Wikipedia Quote:
"Elitism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2007)
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed.

Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern [1]. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

Opposed to elitism are "anti-elitism," "populism," and the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity.

At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the "social elite."

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

subzali
12-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree with UB. I'm going to have a CB and a Ham in my truck, because most people out there still, for 90% of trail usage still use CB. And I'll throw this in since I just got out of kolige - it's cheaper and easier to buy/install/use a CB than a ham if you're not technically oriented and all you want to do is communicate on the trail - at least that's what my experience was and one reason why I haven't done Ham yet - koolidge priorities were changed around a bit. There's a lot of younger new blood coming into the 4x4 scene.

That being said, sign me up for the class :thumb: I want both. Not everyone does. That's why I drive a 40 and you drive an 80 :p:

nakman
12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Merits of Ham radios wheeling

Not a huge cost difference. A cheap 2m radio (~$80-$100) will net you most of the benefits. Oh it's more expensive, and yes you can spend more and get more (same goes for CB).

Substantially better clarity, even at close proximity, analagous to CD compared to cassette tape. No wait, even better. In fact no real clarity difference at 1 or 2 miles away either, it's as if they're still right behind you. This is probably the biggest "wheeling" benefit - trucks can be at opposite ends of a run and still communicate fine. example: Last year at CM our group on Kane creek got spread out, and I was able to talk to Dan the gunner just fine on 2m. No one with a CB from the "front group" was able to hear anyone in the "back group." We were up at that camp site where I like to eat lunch, just below the big obstacle on the shelf road.. and they were back just getting out of the weeds.. yeah that guy with the fancy ARB was slowing it all up :rant:

An almost infinite number of channels to select from, if "4" is busy for some reason.

Ability to tie into Colorado repeater system. Helpful if someone is late, and trying to reach the group. So you can be on Yankee Hill and still talk to someone in at their house in Highlands Ranch, or tell someone on I-70 where to turn.

one example: Last summer while we ran Jenny Creek, I was talking to Bruce who was running Spring Creek.

another example: Last summer, I was loading the truck in my driveway on Friday night preparing for the Ghost Town run camping trip, talking to the guys near A-Basin who were already there camping asking "what should I bring?"

Ability to contact someone in an emergency, even make emergency phone calls, when out of cell phone coverage areas.

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Not a huge cost difference. A cheap 2m radio (~$80-$100) will net you most of the benefits. Oh it's more expensive, and yes you can spend more and get more (same goes for CB).

Substantially better clarity, even at close proximity, analagous to CD compared to cassette tape. No wait, even better. In fact no real clarity difference at 1 or 2 miles away either, it's as if they're still right behind you. This is probably the biggest "wheeling" benefit - trucks can be at opposite ends of a run and still communicate fine. example: Last year at CM our group on Kane creek got spread out, and I was able to talk to Dan the gunner just fine on 2m. No one with a CB from the "front group" was able to hear anyone in the "back group." We were up at that camp site where I like to eat lunch, just below the big obstacle on the shelf road.. and they were back just getting out of the weeds.. yeah that guy with the fancy ARB was slowing it all up :rant:

An almost infinite number of channels to select from, if "4" is busy for some reason.

Ability to tie into Colorado repeater system. Helpful if someone is late, and trying to reach the group. So you can be on Yankee Hill and still talk to someone in at their house in Highlands Ranch, or tell someone on I-70 where to turn.

one example: Last summer while we ran Jenny Creek, I was talking to Bruce who was running Spring Creek.

another example: Last summer, I was loading the truck in my driveway on Friday night preparing for the Ghost Town run camping trip, talking to the guys near A-Basin who were already there camping asking "what should I bring?"

Ability to contact someone in an emergency, even make emergency phone calls, when out of cell phone coverage areas.

And that is very cool! Truly! The range and safety values along justify having this ability in the back country! I will never argue this point!

wesintl
12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Maybe I should have said advantages and disadvantages. Either way this needs it's own thread.

Seldom Seen
12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
..... Look at it this way......Being a Toyota club we generally run with all or nearly all Toyota 4x4's. Nearly all of those Toyotas are in TLCA. TLCA has roughly 4000 members and of those members I would say less than 100 have SUPERCHARGERS. Are you saying screw running with the other 3900 Toyheads because they don't have the same equipment you have? With that kind of attitude those other 3900 probably don't want to run with you anyway! Face the fact.....the majority of wheelers out there will continue to use NA engines .... if your decide to use something different, exclusively, you are the one missing out! SUPERCHARGING has it's place and it IS a good thing but it IS also elitist!

Fixed it for ya :rolleyes:

Romer
12-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Last Summer, Hatfield called me on the Ham from Jenny Creek because they had not met up with the 9news gal. I was in Golden so I then called her Cell and she followed me up.

On the way to Moab last year, I was talking with Ben in Golden and Nathanial in Vail while I was passing through Grand Junction and also talking to Convert who was about 10 miles ahead of me. It was Cool.

CQ......this is Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November I'm in the squeeze at Chinamons and just broke an axle.

Uncle Ben, this is X in Denver, we will run over to Slee and get you one and run it up to Chinamons.

X this is Uncle Ben, can you bring a pepporoni pizza and some Garlic bread while your coming

Convert
12-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Last Summer, Hatfield called me on the Ham from Jenny Creek because they had not met up with the 9news gal. I was in Golden so I then called her Cell and she followed me up.

On the way to Moab last year, I was talking with Ben in Golden and Nathanial in Vail while I was passing through Grand Junction and also talking to Convert who was about 10 miles ahead of me. It was Cool.

CQ......this is Uncle November Charlie Bravo Echo November I'm in the squeeze at Chinamons and just broke an axle.

Uncle Ben, this is X in Denver, we will run over to Slee and get you one and run it up to Chinamons.

X this is Uncle Ben, can you bring a pepporoni pizza and some Garlic bread while your coming

X2 Ken
CM07 on a pre run of Cliff Hanger I called for parts via ham to the slickrock base station and got parts rounded up for Treeroot so he could repair his front end for the next day.Ham radio has a lot of advantages and some cost but I am not disappointed that I spent the time, money or effort to get licensed and install a ham radio. I have both CB and Ham radio's in the 80 and will probably do the same if I was to build another rig. That's my 2cents worth :thumb:

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Fixed it for ya :rolleyes:

Nope....I have no problem wheeling with gasping trucks! Run what ya brung just make sure it will make it back home! :hill: I mean jeeze.......I will even wheel with guys in 4 Runners and mini trucks....my standards are pretty weak! :lmao::lmao::hill:

Hulk
12-20-2007, 12:40 AM
TLCA has roughly 4000 members and of those members I would say less than 100 have ham radios. Are you saying screw talking to the other 3900 Toyheads because they don't have the same equipment you have? With that kind of attitude those other 3900 probably don't want to talk to you anyway!

Gimme a break. The majority of the 4000 members of TLCA don't take their rigs off the pavement. I bet there are about 800 guys (and a few gals) that actually wheel.

When I was on that pre-run to Hotel Rock, half the trucks had Ham and nearly everyone had CB too.

Let me put it this way: just because you buy a Hi-Lift jack, you don't leave your bottle jack at home, do you? Both are useful, but one of them is far more useful than the other.

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Gimme a break. The majority of the 4000 members of TLCA don't take their rigs off the pavement. I bet there are about 800 guys (and a few gals) that actually wheel.

When I was on that pre-run to Hotel Rock, half the trucks had Ham and nearly everyone had CB too.

Let me put it this way: just because you buy a Hi-Lift jack, you don't leave your bottle jack at home, do you? Both are useful, but one of them is far more useful than the other.

Exactly! Thats my counter point to this statement from you..."If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham."

Hulk
12-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Exactly! Thats my counter point to this statement from you..."If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham."

True. But if I had neither bottle jack nor hi-lift, and they were about the same price, and one was much better than the other...

The number of wheelers using Ham Radio is growing rapidly. It soon will no longer be a niche technology. If funds are limited, I recommend buying into the future rather than the past.

You'll understand once you get license and radio. People probably argued against lockers before they experienced one, too, back in the dark ages of 1990.

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 08:08 AM
You'll understand once you get license and radio. People probably argued against lockers before they experienced one, too, back in the dark ages of 1990.

I highly doubt it! :rolleyes: Most folks have discovered 35" (and up) tires are superior off highway but I seriously doubt the occasional wheeler will spend the money it takes to run that tall of tires when their 31's and 33's work well for them!

Groucho
12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Doesn't make much sense, but stupider suggestions have been made.

On last years GTR, I used both. It was my run, and I didn't want to leave anyone out. Was I talking alot? Yeah, but that is just how I like the GTR, full of nice little details about where we are going, and where we have been. It fits in my opinion.

The joke about throwing the CB out in my mind came when Nakman had trouble with his CB during the Argentine part of the GTR. No one knew he was talking. He made the tongue in cheek comment to "throw the CB out the window".

The point I will make is that in choosing a setup, having the base knowledge that HAM requires gives most of those folks the basic knowledge to troubleshoot problems with their equipment when they happen. Due to the FCC forming the Citizens Band channels so that everyone could transmit pretty much means that the focus on understanding how it works was left to the user. Many times this was ignored in light of just slapping it together and talking. Granted, CB previously required a license, it was less of a basis for knowledge and more for knowing who was going to be do it.

What gets me is the number of people who will still just throw their station together. No consideration for the simple things that can make all the difference. A $15 homebrew antenna and a $40 Radio Shack CB can outperform a Firestik and a $250 Cobra any day of the week. Just depends on the installation. Funny thing? All the folks who insist that HAM is not for them don't realize CB is limited to 5 watts, legally. Since CB is in the 11 meter band (27-28 MhZ), the fiberglass Firestik antennas are poor performers for the frequencies. Remember those guys with the 120" whips with the tennis balls on them? More appropriate length and thusly better performance. Bruce Miller told us a story of using a converted CB radio for 10 Meters on 5 watts. He was talking to people half way round the world, with the right antenna.

For the Amateur Radio operator, transmitter power must be the minimum necessary to carry out the desired communications. Unless otherwise noted, the maximum power output is 1500 watts PEP. That's alot 'o power! The greatest thing about being a HAM in comparison to CB? The ability to tinker.

As for being elite, I just hope no one thinks their kids are elitists for being a high school grad or passing their driving test. I earned my way into HAM radio just like anyone who has the desire can do. I studied, watched other HAMs and just had a basic interest in it.

I'm not here to sell it. I'm just here to enjoy helping people who want to do it be successful at it. :cheers:

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Doesn't make much sense, but stupider suggestions have been made.

On last years GTR, I used both. It was my run, and I didn't want to leave anyone out. Was I talking alot? Yeah, but that is just how I like the GTR, full of nice little details about where we are going, and where we have been. It fits in my opinion.

The joke about throwing the CB out in my mind came when Nakman had trouble with his CB during the Argentine part of the GTR. No one knew he was talking. He made the tongue in cheek comment to "throw the CB out the window".

The point I will make is that in choosing a setup, having the base knowledge that HAM requires gives most of those folks the basic knowledge to troubleshoot problems with their equipment when they happen. Due to the FCC forming the Citizens Band channels so that everyone could transmit pretty much means that the focus on understanding how it works was left to the user. Many times this was ignored in light of just slapping it together and talking. Granted, CB previously required a license, it was less of a basis for knowledge and more for knowing who was going to be do it.

What gets me is the number of people who will still just throw their station together. No consideration for the simple things that can make all the difference. A $15 homebrew antenna and a $40 Radio Shack CB can outperform a Firestik and a $250 Cobra any day of the week. Just depends on the installation. Funny thing? All the folks who insist that HAM is not for them don't realize CB is limited to 5 watts, legally. Since CB is in the 11 meter band (27-28 MhZ), the fiberglass Firestik antennas are poor performers for the frequencies. Remember those guys with the 120" whips with the tennis balls on them? More appropriate length and thusly better performance. Bruce Miller told us a story of using a converted CB radio for 10 Meters on 5 watts. He was talking to people half way round the world, with the right antenna.

For the Amateur Radio operator, transmitter power must be the minimum necessary to carry out the desired communications. Unless otherwise noted, the maximum power output is 1500 watts PEP. That's alot 'o power! The greatest thing about being a HAM in comparison to CB? The ability to tinker.

As for being elite, I just hope no one thinks their kids are elitists for being a high school grad or passing their driving test. I earned my way into HAM radio just like anyone who has the desire can do. I studied, watched other HAMs and just had a basic interest in it.

I'm not here to sell it. I'm just here to enjoy helping people who want to do it be successful at it. :cheers:

:clap: Well said Nathanial! :thumb::thumb: In all things, tools are only as good as the quality by which they are made and the knowledge of how to use them! :cool:

Red_Chili
12-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Were there posts edited or removed or something? Talk about a class? This thread is hard to follow in the beginning.

I will never throw out my CB because (for now) most of the folks I talk to have a CB. If there was one radio that handled ham and CB, that would be uber cool. As it is, I have so much junk going on in my truck I'm about to run out of room! Handheld, maybe? That could be useful. Such a thing?

And before UB says what he is thinking, it is a small price to pay for being able to slink between the trees...

[jeez, just what I need, another expensive hobby...]

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Were there posts edited or removed or something? Talk about a class? This thread is hard to follow in the beginning.

I will never throw out my CB because (for now) most of the folks I talk to have a CB. If there was one radio that handled ham and CB, that would be uber cool. As it is, I have so much junk going on in my truck I'm about to run out of room! Handheld, maybe? That could be useful. Such a thing?

And before UB says what he is thinking, it is a small price to pay for being able to slink between the trees...

[jeez, just what I need, another expensive hobby...]

Wes, our awesome webmaster, quickly and expertly split the banter from the class thread to keep the class thread on track. Thanks WES! :thumb:

....and yes Bill, we will always consider you a Slinky! :lol:

wesintl
12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Wes, our awesome webmaster, quickly and expertly split the banter from the class thread to keep the class thread on track. Thanks WES! :thumb:

Thanks.

I'll try and split the thread a little more gracefully next time.:o

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 11:57 AM
You are not the first person to wonder about a CB/ham. Never happen, CB and ham are covered under different parts of the FCC rules. So a manufacturer would have to test it to both requirements and it would be such a limited demand that I can't see it being economically viable. I doubt most hams would even consider it and anyone comparing a CB to a CB/ham isn't gonna want to pay $200 for it when a CB costs $40.

Oh yeah, hams have some of the nicest handheld radios. I have a VX-7R, what a little wonder. It's 5 watts (roughly the same as the clunky CBs we have), 4 band transmit, receives just about anything, the size of a thick cell phone, built to Mil-Spec 810E, submersible and even has an optional barometer for altitude. Come to the ham class, see what radios that kept evolving look like!

I looked up your setup and thats pretty cool! How about a thread in members only section for showing off what everyone has as far as radios and installs go so all can see what the "extreme dark side" of wheeling communications has to offer.... ;) :hill:

nakman
12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I looked up your setup and thats pretty cool! How about a thread in members only section for showing off what everyone has as far as radios and installs go so all can see what the "extreme dark side" of wheeling communications has to offer.... ;) :hill:

Hey we did that.. perhaps you were still river rafting in Egypt at the time, so you didn't see it? :D

look here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3129

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3375&highlight=install&page=3

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2465&highlight=install for starters.. :cool:

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey we did that.. perhaps you were still river rafting in Egypt at the time, so you didn't see it? :D

look here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3129

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3375&highlight=install&page=3

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2465&highlight=install for starters.. :cool:

Sorry....all this geeky ham stuff is messing with my abilities to hit the search button......:rolleyes: :confused: :homer: :bowdown::zilla::kevin:

Red_Chili
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
One of the reviews pointed out the advantages of the Kenwood over it. Oh dear, more stuff to know.

Would a handheld really be sufficient? Is that all I would need? No external antennae?
[be kind to a n00b here, or I'll just go back to my CB]

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 12:28 PM
One of the reviews pointed out the advantages of the Kenwood over it. Oh dear, more stuff to know.

Would a handheld really be sufficient? Is that all I would need? No external antennae?
[be kind to a n00b here, or I'll just go back to my CB]

Your polished slinky will need a black slinky to play well with the others! :lmao:

Red_Chili
12-20-2007, 01:12 PM
:confused::dunno:

subzali
12-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure you can use just a handheld and get decent close-range performance, but you'll need an antenna to get some of the longer-range stuff. Plus to have consistent wattage you'll need to be powered into your truck's electrical system, which a handheld isn't necessarily.

Romer
12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you can use just a handheld and get decent close-range performance, but you'll need an antenna to get some of the longer-range stuff. Plus to have consistent wattage you'll need to be powered into your truck's electrical system, which a handheld isn't necessarily.

hey Radar, not quite correct. Handhelds do not have the power as a mobile unit. They can do well with a good antenna, but not as good.

My mobile unit will do 50 watts i believe and I think the handhelds are limited to 5Watts.

Groucho or someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

subzali
12-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I think we're saying the same thing. I was just trying to keep it less geeky because Bill was confused and now I am :hill:

hey Radar, not quite correct. Handhelds do not have the power as a mobile unit. They can do well with a good antenna, but not as good.

My mobile unit will do 50 watts i believe and I think the handhelds are limited to 5Watts.

Red_Chili
12-20-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm sure you know Bill, there's 3 beefy captured nuts that hold the rear view mirror on, WAY overkill. If you mount a plate there, your radio can hang from the ceiling.
No, in fact I *didn't* know that was a good mount. Very slick. Did you just snake your power back to the dome light and down to the source? What about the antenna lead (which coax?)?

Gotta keep an install tight and clean. Wouldn't want to impact the Chili's mall rating. :Princess:

I thought about an HT (he begins the slippery slide down the feared geek slope) because it might make a good emergency comm device while hunting etc, no?

Groucho
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
But it's all about the antenna. A good antenna with 5W will be much better than higher power with a poor antenna choice. There is whole subsection of hams who do everything at 5W, which is called operating 'QRP'. They are able to talk worldwide (without IRLP even) by using a good antenna (which is crucial for receiving signals, too).

As Bruce Miller said in the first HAM class, "Life's too short for QRP.":D This coming from the guy who just got done talking about using the converted CB rig running 10 Meters at 5 watts talking to Japan from the Cayman Islands. :lmao:

Dave, who by the way I have never had the 'in person' pleasure of meeting, sums up one of the key points of the HAM class: The most important thing about radio transmissions is getting the signal into the air. In a sense, an antenna acts as a “transducer” to couple electromagnetic energy from the transmission line to radiation in space, and vice versa. The more effecient this is done, the better(and further ranging) the setup is.

I think we're saying the same thing. I was just trying to keep it less geeky because Bill was confused and now I am :hill:

HT's are great. They do need to be charged after an hour or two of constant transmit, like Dave says, so multiple batteries are a must for the heavy talker. HT's are perfect for anything that takes you out of your vehicle. Rubber Ducky antennas are not that great with limited line-of-sight, but still good. Telescoping antennas work the best, but are cumbersome if using while walking. HT's also have a meter to monitor battery life, as well as adjustable power output, some down to 1/2 a watt. This allows for extended use. Basically, they are worlds apart from the walkie-talkies we got as kids in the 70's.

Nice job, grasshopper! HTs usually don't come with more than 5 watts, but there are external amplifiers that can be added for maximum power.

Bruce Miller
12-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Has anybody in the club become involved in ham radio other than 2m? Anybody on HF?

Uncle Ben
12-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Has anybody in the club become involved in ham radio other than 2m? Anybody on HF?

Isn't CB technically HF? :confused:

JadeRunner
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
What's HT stand for? I sense in means a handheld radio.

I would also want a simple cb\ham setup to mount in my existing din. Then mount 2 antennas to one radio. I would kick down for that. I dread having to mount an extra radio in the cab somewhere. It's honestly the biggest problem I have with diving into this. Sounds like a marketing opportunity.

Uncle Ben
12-22-2007, 10:49 PM

I would also want a simple cb\ham setup to mount in my existing din. Then mount 2 antennas to one radio. I would kick down for that. I dread having to mount an extra radio in the cab somewhere. It's honestly the biggest problem I have with diving into this. Sounds like a marketing opportunity.

Handheld Transceiver. The removable faceplates and remote kits make for very easy mounting solutions! Really! Snoop around at the on-line vendors....pretty amazing stuff.

corsair23
12-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Handheld Transceiver. The removable faceplates and remote kits make for very easy mounting solutions! Really! Snoop around at the on-line vendors....pretty amazing stuff.

And there you have it...So UB, when does your new Ham radio arrive and what one did you decide to go with? :hill:

Uncle Ben
12-23-2007, 08:53 AM
And there you have it...So UB, when does your new Ham radio arrive and what one did you decide to go with? :hill:

I do not have any radio ordered at this time! I agree that Ham makes sense but I also do not need another hobby! :bowdown: :zilla: :kevin: :thumb::hill:

Groucho
12-23-2007, 02:39 PM
This doesn't exsist. You would need to buy both. CB is (as UB said) technically HF(High Freq). 2m Is what we use primarily in the vehicle which is VHF (Very High Freq).

Problem is, any radio built to work on CB(11 meter HF~) has to be approved by the FCC and cannot be manipulated to do anything else. Therefore, combining both 2M and CB is not feasable for many folks, HAM or not, without having two radios.

Common question. Is what most folks get turned off of the HAM thing for.
If for no other reason, the class IS GOOD for all radio using folks. Lots of good info.

Uncle Ben
12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
CB is (as UB said) technically HF(High Freq).

I just stole the glory....Seldom Seen posted that tidbit earlier! :thumb::thumb:

I am just on a learning curve....best way to defeat your enemies! :p: :lmao:

Hulk
12-24-2007, 02:27 AM
I am just on a learning curve....best way to defeat your enemies! :p: :lmao:

Kinda sucks when your enemies have superior equipment, don't it? I mean, you got the supahchargah and all, with the longfields and 315s, but your radio is so 1975 it just screams for Evil Knievel, some Coors and a Trans Am. Of course, it screams, but no one can hear it because the range is about 4000 feet and your voice was just trod upon by a trucker in Texas speaking Spanish with an illegal amp and no qualms about obeying tha' rules.

Cheerio!

Uncle Ben
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Kinda sucks when your enemies have superior equipment, don't it? I mean, you got the supahchargah and all, with the longfields and 315s, but your radio is so 1975 it just screams for Evil Knievel, some Coors and a Trans Am. Of course, it screams, but no one can hear it because the range is about 4000 feet and your voice was just trod upon by a trucker in Texas speaking Spanish with an illegal amp and no qualms about obeying tha' rules.

Cheerio!

35's not 315's (there is a differance) I like(d) Evil Knievel and Trans-Am's but Coors is for :Princess:'s. My radio always gets out if you remember so 4500ft is an easy walk in the park! The people I use that radio for are also well in that range and the ones that aren't are probably outside the truck figuring out what broke and not listening to the airwaves anyway! :p: :bowdown::zilla: :kevin:

JadeRunner
12-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Hum, I've been thinking about it the last few days. And the comments Hulk made about it being the only way to communicate to the rear on some of his trail runs and all the other advantages of having one on runs rings home. I would like another nice tool in my 4x4 toolbox.

Now I admit I usually don't have a problem talking to others on runs as long as people cb's are working correctly. But, that's not always the case and there are always late comers and people trying to find the group and such. Understanding that so many Rising Sun guy's have these things also encourages it's use. So it sounds like a nice upgrade to a trail leaders communication package and an advanced tool for an advanced trail leader. Sign me up for the class. I'm going' for it.

I'll buck up and find a place for another radio and antenna I guess. I plan on just spending effort on getting certified and the radio and antenna installed. But, I also don't want another hobby so you will probably just hear me on runs.

Roger, niner tango - out.

treerootCO
12-24-2007, 11:43 AM
are there systems that hold up to water and dust? I'm not sure I want to put a lot of money into a radio that won't last if it gets dirty.

Uncle Ben
12-24-2007, 11:46 AM
are there systems that hold up to water and dust? I'm not sure I want to put a lot of money into a radio that won't last if it gets dirty.

How many years has the cb in your 40 been working? Same schtuf just higher grade.

treerootCO
12-24-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm sorry, my CB is over at the Pawn Shop. The Crack Heads needed it more than me. Radio is gone, tools are gone...

Uncle Ben
12-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry, my CB is over at the Pawn Shop. The Crack Heads needed it more than me. Radio is gone, tools are gone...
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mad::rant: IH8THIEVES! Lowest life form on earth!! http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Angry/blowup.gif

Groucho
12-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I hope you get a break from all of the bad luck you've been having! Either that, or there had better be a silver lining to it all!

As for a waterproof/dustproof radio, here are a couple things to take a look at.

HT:
VX-7R (http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=8D3254BFC69FB172D78647DC56EFB0E9&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0)

Mobile:
FT-2800 (http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=F111F6B21D7F46EDD122C1706B70F543&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0)
This one is advertized in the Aus. desert in an 80:
FT-1802M (http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=B545CB413DF5ED13CBD157F1DD078EF5&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0)

80 series on the poster (http://yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1616&FileCatID=149&FileName=FT%2D1802M%5FBrochure.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf)

Uncle Ben
12-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I hope you get a break from all of the bad luck you've been having! Either that, or there had better be a silver lining to it all!

This one is advertized in the Aus. desert in an 80:
FT-1802M (http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=B545CB413DF5ED13CBD157F1DD078EF5&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0)

Ditto! That is a cool little (and powerful) 2m radio!