PDA

View Full Version : Rising Sun HAM Radio Wives Class

wesintl
12-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Well, after putting this off for far too long, I am finally ready to get this started.

This will be the second HAM Radio class for the members of Rising Sun. It is primarily geared toward getting the technicians license, focusing on passing the technician written exam, and good/safe operating practices.

This class is open to anyone interested. We called it the "Wives Class" because last summer there were several wives of some of our current HAM operators who expressed an interest in getting their license to be able to use the HAM radios we have in our rigs. Whether communicating to the others in the group, or relaying messages over long distances, it was felt by these folks that it would be benificial to have the $14 license and ability to do so.

This class will be a little different in layout from the first class, wheras the first class was focused on getting people to be licensed HAM operators who were interested in persuing HAM Radio as a primary hobby, this class will focus on how we integrate HAM Radio into 4-wheeling.

We will cover several things that will just be to pass the test, like how the FCC regulates the Amateur Radio section, propogation, electrical theory, etc. We will spend most of our time working on good operating practice, familiarizing ourselves with the radios and antennas, callsigns, station safety and the like. The class content will only be limited on how far we want to push it.

So to let the holidays slow down, and folks get back into the swing of things, this class will be scheduled for February 2008. The class will again be 3, two-hour classes. They will be on Mondays, starting Feb 11th. The three classes will be Feb 11th, Feb 18th and Feb 25th. Classes start at 7pm and will be done by 9pm.

Please post up if you or someone you know is interested in joining us!

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I believe the times will work for me! :thumb:

nakman
12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Help! Someone has broken into :kevin:'s house, hog tied him up, and is now posting with his login! Stay strong, Uncle Ben, I'm coming right over!!!

Convert
12-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I believe the times will work for me! :thumb:

I knew :kevin: would come to the darkside, because there are cookies here.................Oh sorry wrong thread that was Mini Truck sumthin or other. Welcome UB:thumb:

Seldom Seen
12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Time and dates jive with Heathers sked, so I'm sure she'll be there.

I made contact with a VE team at the JeffCo Ham Fest this summer. If there is enough interest I *might * be able to convince them to come out and admin the test on the last day of the class.

Rogue Leader
12-19-2007, 06:52 PM
what happened to the other thread?:confused: well im still in

baileyfj40
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm in, hoping no snow.

Mike Koons
77 fj40
89 fj62
99 F350

Convert
12-19-2007, 07:13 PM
what happened to the other thread?:confused: well im still in
It is here http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5530

Rogue Leader
12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
ya just found it. thanks

Uncle Ben
12-19-2007, 08:22 PM
I knew :kevin: would come to the darkside, because there are cookies here.................Oh sorry wrong thread that was Mini Truck sumthin or other. Welcome UB:thumb:

Who said I was coming to the dark side? I just figured there would be beer! :rolleyes:

acon40
12-19-2007, 08:26 PM
BEER!!!!!!!

Oh yea, the radio stuff....I am in.....

Jacket
12-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Subscribed. Rumor has it that it's this much fun

http://www.geocities.com/forestrangers1965/Dobi.jpg

Hulk
12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Karie is considering it. She definitely wants to get her license, but Mondays are usually a non-starter for her -- she is in the Littleton Symphony, and that is rehearsal night.

subzali
12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm in.

Red_Chili
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh, well, OK... I guess.

:lmao:

Will a handheld fry my brain cells? I can't spare any.

FWIW, I've been ignoring this thread because there's no way my WIFE would be interested in ham.:rolleyes:

Rezarf
12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I would like to take this, I will have to see if the Mondays would work out or not. :thumb:

Drew

RockRunner
12-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Where are the classes going to be?

Will we be able to buy our own radio after this test?

What kind of cost are we looking at for a "simple" set up?

Sorry if these were answered already.

Uncle Ben
12-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Where are the classes going to be?

Will we be able to buy our own radio after this test?

Sorry if these were answered already.

You can get a radio and even install it at anytime! You just cannot legally talk without a license.

Groucho
12-20-2007, 12:03 PM
You can get a radio and even install it at anytime! You just cannot legally talk without a license.

Showoff!:D

Groucho
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Here is what everyone can expect at the HAM Radio wives class! :lmao:

Groucho
12-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr(Maybe)
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew(Maybe)
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek(Maybe)
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari

Have I missed anyone?

Oh, and I will confirm if we can use Stevinson Toyota West's meeting room(Regular RS Club meeting place)

Hulk
12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Here's a great 2M radio (http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=321) for $118.
Add another $30-50 for antenna, a mount and some extra cable (if needed).

Many of us purchased a dual-band radio (144/440 MHz). Here's what I have (http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=322):
$234.00

Groucho
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
If I can manage it, I will try to obtain all of the parts to allow everyone who takes the class to make either their own homebrew 2M vertical or J-Pole antenna.

BTW, the radio Hulk shows for $118 I have and will probably never get rid of. Very easy to use, 65W full power, and inexpensive.

For the inexpensive HT, look at this:
VX-150 (http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=22)

Hamcity has it for $109, Ham Radio Outlet Has it for $112, both are offering an extra battery. HRO means no shipping, they are at Iliff and just east of Quebec.

nakman
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Nakman, is Michele considering it?

Yes, now that :kevin: is in, she's in!

corsair23
12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Put me down as a possible...Monday's are bad for me though but I'll see if I can swing it :thumb:

RockRunner
12-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I like the price of the system Hulk showed. Does anybody have a portable unit? I was looking online and it seems they have some decent ones for a favorable price. Later on I can add other parts to it like a mic/speaker and external antenna.

I like the idea of being able to take it with me in different trucks and outside of the truck if needed. Are there major drawbacks to them like the portable CB? The other reason is theft, with the 4Runner having a soft top during the summer months and no doors I try to keep temptation low.

Shark Bait
12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Nathaniel,

I know Jeanette is interested. (Her last name is Nelson.)

Chris

Have I missed anyone?

Hulk
12-21-2007, 12:49 AM
For the inexpensive HT, look at this:
VX-150 (http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=22)

Hamcity has it for $109, Ham Radio Outlet Has it for $112, both are offering an extra battery. HRO means no shipping, they are at Iliff and just east of Quebec.

Groucho, is this the one you have? Is this the newish one that is supposed to be very weather-proof?

Groucho
12-21-2007, 05:19 AM
I like the price of the system Hulk showed. Does anybody have a portable unit? I was looking online and it seems they have some decent ones for a favorable price. Later on I can add other parts to it like a mic/speaker and external antenna.

I like the idea of being able to take it with me in different trucks and outside of the truck if needed. Are there major drawbacks to them like the portable CB? The other reason is theft, with the 4Runner having a soft top during the summer months and no doors I try to keep temptation low.

By "portable" do you really mean a Handheld Tranciever(HT), right? I'm :confused: because the two Hulk showed are "mobile" rigs that get mounted in the vehicle, and are connected to the battery(as opposed to base station rigs which are in your house connected to 110v) . They aren't really "portable" in the sense that they will go in and out of the vehicle in a minute or so. In order for these to be "portable", you need a 13v, minimum 20a power supply, or a small 12 volt (car) battery. The one I showed was a HT which is self contained, battery, antenna and transciever.

Groucho, is this the one you have? Is this the newish one that is supposed to be very weather-proof?

It is not as weather proof as ones like the vx-7r, but it is a stout little HT. Basic, easy to use, 2m only.

rock_wagon
12-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I would like to join, I have been interested for a long time but had no idea how to get started.

Groucho
12-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I got you on the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew(Maybe)
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek(Maybe)
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino

JohnInDenver
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm in.

timmbuck2
12-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Sign me up.

Mendocino
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Wesintl,

Im not a Rising Sun member yet, but assume I will be on the not too distant future if you guys will have me. I have registered for Cruise Moab and would like to take your class. Are you OK with this. Amazingly, these dates actually work with my schedule.

-Jeff Hamilton (I was at tonight's meeting)

Romer
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Jeff,
You don't have to be a club member to come take the class or go to Cruise Moab. You do need to be a TLCA member to go to cruise moab though.

Mendocino
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ken. I joined TLCA last night and will forward my membership number when I get it. I will be at the Ham class and intend on joining Rising Sun. As you can see from my forum join date I have been lurking a while:)

Hulk
01-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Karie says she is in.

I'll be home with the kids, so I won't be able to help with the class.

Groucho
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I got you on the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew(Maybe)
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino

Shark Bait
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Jeanette is probably more of a "maybe". :rolleyes:

Mendocino
01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The book is ordered and on its way:)

Rogue Leader
01-03-2008, 09:49 PM
my dad is unconvinced of the uses of ham and still thinks that old farts in whitey tighties sit in there basement using it. basically if i cant convince him to let me go than i cant go. maybe the liscence plate fee would convince him. sorry but gotta listen to him. he should be at the next meeting so anyone wanting to help me convince him then it would be appreciated :D

bvb
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Looks like I'll be able to hang around town for the class. I'm going to work on getting the book! Let me know if anything changes.

bvb

Red_Chili
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
my dad is unconvinced of the uses of ham and still thinks that old farts in whitey tighties sit in there basement using it. basically if i cant convince him to let me go than i cant go. maybe the liscence plate fee would convince him. sorry but gotta listen to him. he should be at the next meeting so anyone wanting to help me convince him then it would be appreciated :D
Waitjustadoggoneminit. You listen to your DAD??!?! :confused:

FWIW, I wear boxers. Most days. TMI.

And my radio will be in my truck. I go where there is no cell coverage and if a breakdown occurs it might be a very LONG hike out or a very UNPLEASANT unplanned overnight - or several - so that is why I am taking the class and now have a radio. Not to mention weather, and natural/manmade disasters.

See if that floats his boat.

Uncle Ben
01-07-2008, 11:09 AM

FWIW, I wear boxers. Most days. TMI.

And my radio will be in my truck. I go where there is no cell coverage and if a breakdown occurs it might be a very LONG hike out or a very UNPLEASANT unplanned overnight - or several - so that is why I am taking the class and now have a radio. Not to mention weather, and natural/manmade disasters.

See if that floats his boat.

Good on you Chili! As much as I didn't want another expensive hobby I have really enjoyed listening and ragchewing with others all over the front range. I have yet to talk to any RS'ers but I have spied on them for a couple months. Ham radio definitely has it's place in our hobby/world but I have no doubt that CB will remain the main communication venue. I have been several places already in the hills where I had no cell coverage but could still pick up folks in Longmont and Thornton on the ham like they were right behind me on the trail with the squelch cranked way up. It is nice to have communication at your finger tips with out the typical noise of skip from Mexico breaking through the squelch. Ham does have an annoying interference of repeaters beeping out Morse coded ID's every 10 minutes breaking the silence that makes them so appealing. I will say that it has already become appearant that I/we have been missing out by not having this communication sooner! I have no plans on setting up a base station but an HT and getting my wife a Tech license will be in my future!

Hulk
01-07-2008, 11:14 AM

FYI: Rogue Leader is one of our younger members, living at home and going to High School.

Rogue Leader
01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
ya what hulk said. maybe if i can buy him some scotch or :beer:. oh wait im not old enough to buy alchol. hmmmm

Red_Chili
01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
FYI: Rogue Leader is one of our younger members, living at home and going to High School.
Yeah, I knew that ... but all the more amazingly he listens to his DAD??!?! :confused::rolleyes:

:hill:

Uncle Ben
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I figgered... but all the more amazingly he listens to his DAD??!?! :confused::rolleyes:

Or at least he wants his dad to think so! ;) :hill:

subzali
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
If dad pays the bills, well...

Groucho
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Has anyone spied this callsign KDCLY (http://www.qrz.com/detail/KD0CLY) in our forum yet? Look hard and you may see it.

Last year Brian(Seldom Seen) took his test just after the first of the three classes and passed with like 98% and he joked it was because of the class being that good. I haven't even given the class yet and a student has already passed!

Welcome, sir. Are you going to check in tonight? 145.145 MhZ, 9:00PM.

Jacket
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
^I just saw that myself. Slipped in under the radar, huh?

corsair23
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Has anyone spied this callsign KDCLY (http://www.qrz.com/detail/KD0CLY) in our forum yet? Look hard and you may see it.

Yeah, he thinks he's been so coy, but the writing was on the wall. You could see it coming despite what Mr. CLY said. I guess some of the rest of the hold outs like me are now the :zilla:s :D

DaveInDenver
01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Reasons the End of the World is near:

Red Sox won a World Series
Rockies MADE it into a World Series
Chargers win a playoff game
Toyota overtakes Ford for domestic sales
Those Geico Cavemen got a TV show
Major League Baseball acknowledged steroid use
Adam Sandler keeps making movies
Britney Spears is moving to Denver
Uncle Ben gets a ham license

Seldom Seen
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Just got off the phone with a VE coordinator. We have a tentative GO for them to come to the last class (Feb 25th) and admin the test. :cheers::thumb:

nakman
01-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Britney's moving to Denver? :eek:

edit: oh great, and in the same hood as my in-laws..

Sunday, January 6, 2008
Rumor Alert - Britney Spears moving to Cherry Creek North

It has been reported that Britney Spears has put a $2.2 million deposit on a property in Cherry Creek North and is looking at rehab centers in Estes Park. Is she preparing to put roots down in Denver?

If so, this is great news for local Starbucks and convenience stores. It's also probably great news for businesses in Cherry Creek North. I could definitely see her walking around and blowing a lot of money in those boutiques and galleries. Perhaps Larimer Square too?

I'll keep an eye on this story.
http://www.thedenverblog.com/2008/01/rumor-alert-britney-spears-moving-to.html

wesintl
01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
all the more amazingly [/I]he listens to his DAD??!?! :confused::rolleyes:

just because he listens doesn't mean he's following orders. You should know that by now :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

JadeRunner
01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Good on you Chili! As much as I didn't want another expensive hobby I have really enjoyed listening and ragchewing with others all over the front range. I have yet to talk to any RS'ers but I have spied on them for a couple months. Ham radio definitely has it's place in our hobby/world but I have no doubt that CB will remain the main communication venue. I have been several places already in the hills where I had no cell coverage but could still pick up folks in Longmont and Thornton on the ham like they were right behind me on the trail with the squelch cranked way up. It is nice to have communication at your finger tips with out the typical noise of skip from Mexico breaking through the squelch. Ham does have an annoying interference of repeaters beeping out Morse coded ID's every 10 minutes breaking the silence that makes them so appealing. I will say that it has already become appearant that I/we have been missing out by not having this communication sooner! I have no plans on setting up a base station but an HT and getting my wife a Tech license will be in my future!

Is this Kevin talking? I'm confused. He already got his license? And he's so polite.

Convert
01-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Last year Brian(Seldom Seen) took his test just after the first of the three classes and passed with like 98% and he joked it was because of the class being that good. I haven't even given the class yet and a student has already passed!

Welcome, sir. Are you going to check in tonight? 145.145 MhZ, 9:00PM.

Yup caught it on Friday looks like the Cat is out of the bag :thumb:

RockRunner
01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a question, I am sure it has been answered before somewhere but no luck on the search. Do you get to pick your own call sign or is it assigned? Another question I just thought of, once we take this class and test we are "legal" to use a radio. What is next? I heard talk of different levels etc. engineer I believe or Tech license, what or why are these needed or are you OK with the standard level of certification?

Uncle Ben
01-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a question, I am sure it has been answered before somewhere but no luck on the search. Do you get to pick your own call sign or is it assigned? Another question I just thought of, once we take this class and test we are "legal" to use a radio. What is next? I heard talk of different levels etc. engineer I believe or Tech license, what or why are these needed or are you OK with the standard level of certification?

Call signs are issued by FCC and are randomly generated. You can request a vanity call later if you want. You take a test of 35 multiple choice questions and if you pass in around 2 weeks your call sign will show up on the FCC data base. You cannot transmit until you have a call sign but of course you can listen. Go to the QRZ.com (http://www.qrz.com) web site and play with the practice tests and see how you do! If you do it enough you will learn the questions and start passing the sample test easier. I did that and I also have two books here I read to help understand. The tests really are quite easy once you get into the mindset! The levels are Technician, General, Extra. You do not need to learn Morse code for tech and that license will probably be all you will need unless you want to get into it deeper (more privileges).

Groucho
01-08-2008, 07:35 AM

Once you have your randomly assigned callsign from the FCC, you may request a "vanity" callsign to something you desire. Many people use their first callsign their entire career with HAM, and others change callsigns every 5-10 years. Vanity callsigns do have some stipulations such as a)is the callsign currently in use, or b)what level of license you have. Callsigns are given that have from 1-2 letters as the prefix, followed by a number and then from 1-3 more letters as the suffix. Examples: WDW(1 x 2 callsign), WIIN(1 x 3 callsign), ZF2KN(2 x 2 callsign), KDCLY(2 x 3 callsign). The first letter and number indicate the call is in the USA(first letter) and then where in the USA(Number). The ZF2KN call is Bruce Miller's in the Cayman Islands. Technician class licensee's are limited to at least 1 x 3 and 2 x 3 callsigns with the letters K or W as the prefix. The number can be changed no matter where you are in the country. It is only really important when doing contesting for how many states you can make contact with, that way people calling your callsign know where you are at.

As a newly licensed HAM operator, like UB said, you must wait untill the FCC issues you your callsing to transmit. Before that time you can listen, buy equipment, join clubs, just no transmitting. Big fines are imposed for those who do, and normally the community polices the air pretty well.

The three levels are, again as UB said, Technician, General and Extra. As of current, the morse code requirements that used to be in place for General and Extra classes of license are no longer in effect. Technician class is generally limited to VHF(2M) and UHF(70CM). They do have privelages on HF(10M), but until the sunspot cycle comes back into swing in a couple of years, that band is usually pretty dead(we'll learn a little about that stuff in the class, its called Propogation). VHF and some UHF is what is used in the rigs we go wheeling in.

Call signs are issued by FCC and are randomly generated. You can request a vanity call later if you want. You take a test of 35 multiple choice questions and if you pass in around 2 weeks your call sign will show up on the FCC data base. You cannot transmit until you have a call sign but of course you can listen. Go to the QRZ.com (http://www.qrz.com) web site and play with the practice tests and see how you do! If you do it enough you will learn the questions and start passing the sample test easier. I did that and I also have two books here I read to help understand. The tests really are quite easy once you get into the mindset! The levels are Technician, General, Extra. You do not need to learn Morse code for tech and that license will probably be all you will need unless you want to get into it deeper (more privileges).

Uncle Ben
01-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I did not realize that Morse code was dropped from General and Extra. With CW dropped what would be the advantage of an Extra cert?

DaveInDenver
01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I did not realize that Morse code was dropped from General and Extra. With CW dropped what would be the advantage of an Extra cert?
More band privileges. General Class gives you 160, 30, 17, 12, and 10 meter bands and some parts of the 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter bands. Extra gives you full access to all bands.

RockRunner
01-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks Nathaniel, I totally overlooked that post. I knew I had seen something like that but could not find it for the life of me. Great info, looks like I may have to go to B&N and pick up a book or two and check out the practice test.

RockRunner
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Uncle Ben,

What books did you get? I want to get a head start on reading them as I lack time at night. Thanks for the link to the practice tests, I like studying that way :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Uncle Ben,

What books did you get? I want to get a head start on reading them as I lack time at night. Thanks for the link to the practice tests, I like studying that way :rolleyes:

I learned the test by studying "Technician Class" by Gordon West. It is based on memorization of the test answers but unlike the QRZ pool it explains the correct answer. I learned a lot from this book and you or anyone in the club are welcome to borrow it. In fact I will donate it to the club as I am done with it.
The other book I am still reading is an older book but it is filling in many of the blanks that nothing else has answered for me. "All About Ham Radio" by Harry Helms. I got it from Amazon for under $10. I have ordered a couple more books that haven't showed up yet. The Gordon West book really taught me a lot as I would develop questions then scour the web for answers....learned a lot!

RockRunner
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I learned the test by studying "Technician Class" by Gordon West. It is based on memorization of the test answers but unlike the QRZ pool it explains the correct answer. I learned a lot from this book and you or anyone in the club are welcome to borrow it. In fact I will donate it to the club as I am done with it.
The other book I am still reading is an older book but it is filling in many of the blanks that nothing else has answered for me. "All About Ham Radio" by Harry Helms. I got it from Amazon for under $10. I have ordered a couple more books that haven't showed up yet. The Gordon West book really taught me a lot as I would develop questions then scour the web for answers....learned a lot!

Thanks for the info, I will see if they have them locally or if I have to order them. I would borrow your copy but since we live on opposite sides it will be easier and faster to buy one.

I am excited about this, I always hated the CB. Hearing people clearly and not having to worry about distance to much is great. Time to crack the books and start studying.

Tramontana
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Okay, nOOb (prospective) member here. I would like to take this class, and I've even convinced my wife to consider taking it with me, since it's called the wives class.

RedChili and I are dual sport riding buds, and I've helped him wrench (weld really) on another RS members truck.

May I sign up for two please?

Uncle Ben
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Okay, nOOb (prospective) member here. I would like to take this class, and I've even convinced my wife to consider taking it with me, since it's called the wives class.

RedChili and I are dual sport riding buds, and I've helped him wrench (weld really) on another RS members truck.

Hmmmm....some of Bill friends eh? this will take some discussion.... :rolleyes: ;)

Red_Chili
01-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Yes, my friends are very nice to me. ;)

Groucho
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM

You may. I will put up Tramontana for 2 seats.

Glad to hear you're interested in both HAM radio and the club.

Don't mind UncleBen, he's still mad:rant: he can't get an 8-track tape player and 8-track tapes for his FZJ80. :lmao: Te amo, :kevin:

RockRunner
01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
In case I posted in the wrong thread I am in. Thanks for setting this up and making me spend more money ;)

Groucho
01-09-2008, 09:48 AM
I updated the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew(Maybe)
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
Gail +1 (secretary for the state assn.)

RockRunner
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Nathaniel,

You have me on there twice, just a FYI.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, my friends are very nice to me. ;)

Only to your face! :eek: :lmao: :hill:

Groucho
01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Nathaniel,

You have me on there twice, just a FYI.

Thanks.

nuclearlemon
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
groucho, i'd like to confirm for gail from the state association. she will be attending. thanks ige

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
groucho, i'd like to confirm for gail from the state association. she will be attending. thanks ige

Post #73 has Gail + 1 listed.....is that what your asking? :confused:

Tramontana
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
You may. I will put up Tramontana for 2 seats.

Glad to hear you're interested in both HAM radio and the club.

Don't mind UncleBen, he's still mad:rant: he can't get an 8-track tape player and 8-track tapes for his FZJ80. :lmao: Te amo, :kevin:

...I'm so looking forward to the class.

Hey Uncle Ben, I might know where some smokin hot tapes of the Carpenters are. :lmao:

Rezarf
01-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Take me off the maybe list, I can make it! :D

JadeRunner
01-17-2008, 02:22 PM
So can we take the test at one of these classes?

corsair23
01-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Take me off the maybe list, I can make it! :D

Me too :thumb: - Hoping the books arrive in time now :hill:

Groucho
01-18-2008, 06:32 AM
I updated the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1

Groucho
01-18-2008, 06:36 AM
So can we take the test at one of these classes?

Brian(SeldomSeen) is working on getting a VEC and 2 VE's to the last class to take the test.
VEC = Volunteer Examiner Coordinator
VE = Volunteer Examiner

We need all three to administer the test for us. Brian said he has a contact who may be able to convince the other two folks we need to come and give us the test. Look for updates.

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Nathaniel, I got this book from the library.
"Now You're talking! All you need for your first Amateur Radio License"

Official ARRL License Manual. I would think that should work too or do you want us to have the ones you listed?

Seldom Seen
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
"Now You're talking" is the older version and will work fine, it doesn't quite follow the outline Groucho used in the last class, but all the info you'll need to pass the exam is in there.

So far, the test is a go. The where, when and why is taken care of only the who needs to be ironed out. The VEC has it on his calender, he just needs to round up 2 VEs to admin the test.

corsair23
01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Nathaniel, I got this book from the library.
"Now You're talking! All you need for your first Amateur Radio License"
Official ARRL License Manual. I would think that should work too or do you want us to have the ones you listed?

Tom, actually that is only one book that Nathaniel lists...It just has a very lonnnnnng title. Found that out when I did a search on Amazon.com and came up with the same book each time :hill:

"The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual -- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0872599639/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200683965&sr=8-1)

DaveInDenver
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Brian, any word on the VEC/VE hams and their license level? I've been trying to get in to take my general test, just never find the time...

Uncle Ben
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
"Now You're talking" is the older version and will work fine, it doesn't quite follow the outline Groucho used in the last class, but all the info you'll need to pass the exam is in there.

So far, the test is a go. The where, when and why is taken care of only the who needs to be ironed out. The VEC has it on his calender, he just needs to round up 2 VEs to admin the test.

I'm thinking I might study up and take my general at the class if thats possible....is it?

Seldom Seen
01-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I mentioned to the VEC that there would be several people wanting to upgrade, he said it would not be a problem.

"Now You're talking...." and "ARRL Ham Radio License Manual...." are 2 different books. "Now You're talking...." was used b/4 the code requirement was dropped and contains info for obtaining the tech + ticket. Tech + no longer exists. Both books cover the all the basics needed to pass the exam.

Groucho
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Tom, actually that is only one book that Nathaniel lists...It just has a very lonnnnnng title. Found that out when I did a search on Amazon.com and came up with the same book each time :hill:

"The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual -- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0872599639/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200683965&sr=8-1)

Actually, Brian is the most correct. That manual is old. The new one(which was released in summer 2006) is what you have listed, Jeff, and follows my lesson plans. The older version is not the same book, in the fact that the outline is different in how the information is presented. Just means that Tom will have to go back and forth from front to back to find the sections we are discussing, where those with the new book will just follow along from front to back.

I'm thinking I might study up and take my general at the class if thats possible....is it?

As long as all the Ve's are licensed high enough to administer the general exam, should be no problem. That is what Dave was asking about.

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
The library has the other book you are using too but it is checked out. As soon as it comes back I will snag it. If it does not come back before then i will buy it somewhere I hope. That is a darn long title......................how about TARRLHRLM--AYNTBAARO Wow that is still to long.... ;-)

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
OK, found the book at B&N for 22.45 ( I am a book club member) with tax basicly $25.00 Online cheapest was 17.?? plus $3.99 so $22 +- spend $3 more but I can read it this weekend already.

No flipping back and forth for me!!!!! PS they have more at the SW Plaza store and at the Tattered cover on Colfax. Normal price is $24.95

Edit 5:15 I am now the proud owner of the latest edition of the ARRL book...............NO Flipping YEAH!!!!!!!!

Hulk
01-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Will the VEC be qualified to admin for the Amateur Extra test? Just wondering...

Groucho
01-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Usually these guys are extra classs HAMs. They can administer all the exams.
I have been studying for a while on the extra stuff, and I'm still a little under-prepared.

Just a FYI, the Extra exam is 50 questions, with a passing score minimum of 35, whereas the general and tech exams are 35 questions with a passing score of 25(IIRC).

Go for it!

gcmandrake
01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I would be interested in attending, if there is still room.

the Other Matt

Groucho
01-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Always room!

Glad to hear it, Matt.

Groucho
01-25-2008, 05:18 AM

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
gcmandrake

subzali
01-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Sweet, got my book at Barnes and Noble last night - I'm stoked!

Jacket
01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Another benefit of RS being down - I spent a couple of evenings becoming familiar with the ARRL manual. Who needs warm milk or sheep counting when you've got frequencies, wavelengths, and modulation?? :bored: :lmao:

Looking forward to the class!

RockRunner
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Another benefit of RS being down - I spent a couple of evenings becoming familiar with the ARRL manual. Who needs warm milk or sheep counting when you've got frequencies, wavelengths, and modulation?? :bored: :lmao:

Looking forward to the class!

X2 My Ambien has nothing on this book, love those pictures.

Shorty
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Add Shorty to the list!

Groucho
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I updated the list(Again). Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM
Follow the link:
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator (http://www.amazon.com/Arrl-Ham-Radio-License-Manual/dp/0872599639/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201657847&sr=8-1)

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
gcmandrake
Shorty
Corbet

Wow! I never thought it would grow to this!

Corbet
01-31-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm planning on it. maybe the wife too.

Mendocino
02-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Groucho,

Please make it Mendocino +1. My dad wants to take the class. As I stated in a PM, I will miss the first class but he sould be at all of them and I will only miss the 18th.

Thanks,

Jeff

Groucho
02-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I updated the list(Again). Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM
Follow the link:
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator (http://www.amazon.com/Arrl-Ham-Radio-License-Manual/dp/0872599639/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201657847&sr=8-1)

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino +1
Tramontana +1
gcmandrake
Shorty
Corbet

RockRunner
02-05-2008, 07:45 AM

YOU CREATED A MONSTER :bolt::lol:

corsair23
02-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Cut, Paste, Slash, Burn, Print or Whatever and bring them to class !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Brian for posting the notes up in the other thread!! :cheers:

If anyone is interested, I cut & pasted the notes into a Word doc. I added a little bit of formatting to help me section out the sections...Feel free to modify as you please for you reading style :thumb: - 22 pages and don't forget to bring them to class :)

I also posted this up in the other thread...

EDIT: Updated the .doc attachment with the additional notes that have been posted

Chris
02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Please add my name to the list - Chris Stafford

Groucho
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I updated the list(For the last time). Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM (Please try to arrive up to 1/2 hour early so we can get things going! Thanks!)
Follow the link:

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino +1
Tramontana +1
gcmandrake
Shorty
Corbet
Red Cruiser

See you all Monday! Arrive early so we can get things rolling!

Rezarf
02-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Groucho-

Do we need to bring a copy of the book or is it just supliment to what is being discussed. Either way I am sure Uncle Ben beat me to it. :D

Groucho
02-10-2008, 07:47 AM
That way we can move fast.

Tramontana
02-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Bummer, my wife is down with the "crud" and can't make it tonight. If the space in class is limited, there is one opening that I can volunteer up.

I'll still be there. Cheers!

timmbuck2
02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
will be late, maybe not at all...sickness here too

CardinalFJ60
02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
still at work...won't be released until after 8...see you guys next Monday. (sigh)

Hey Groucho...let's talk about "remote learning" this week...maybe it'll get you familiar with our service. ;)

Rogue Leader
02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Tried the practice exams and got 69.9 on three tries. better than I got before tonight though.

RicardoJM
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Tried the practice exams and got 69.9 on three tries. better than I got before tonight though.

Sean, you'll do just fine when the real test comes. Being that you are still in high school and have active "learn it quick" skills that seem to atrophy in us older folks - I would wager that after one read through of this (http://w5ac.tamu.edu/Element2_Study_Guide.pdf) you will be consistently passing the practice exams. :thumb:

Groucho
02-12-2008, 05:59 AM
We can begin on learning the "hands-on" schtuff. Stay tuned for some information to make those classes a little more interactive...

See ya next week. :D

DaveInDenver
02-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I mentioned something in passing last night that I think need a touch of clarification (see how this stuff rattles around my head, I'll bet I'm the only one still lingering on this). The slide said that for a properly designed antenna the capacitance and inductance cancel.

For the technician's licensing test, this will be TRUE. You can safely stop reading this post now.

Couldn't stop, eh? You're hooked, like it or not. This is only true at a specific physical length of an unloaded antenna (approximately 2% shorter than 1/2-wavelength for a dipole and 1/4-wavelength for a monopole) and really only at one exact frequency or phase. This is where the idea of "bandwidth", "reflected power", "gain" and "antenna impedance" begin to creep in, so I don't want to confuse anyone prematurely, since there's still a touch more boring technical things to cover. I will just say that when the term "resonance" is thrown out it often simply means that you have an acceptably low reactive (i.e. some non-zero combination of capacitance and inductance) impedance over a range of frequencies.

In the end it's splitting hairs on a term. You do want ideally a perfectly resonant antenna, but that is not realizable in the real world if you want to use more than one frequency or have some directivity (or gain). So you live with compromises. Often to make real antennas look resonant to the transmitter you have to add components. A true resonant antenna will have no loss beyond the extremely small heating of the whip and any time you add components, you reduce the amount of energy radiated by the antenna itself. So to imply that a tuned antenna at resonance will radiate all the energy from your radio is not right for all antennas. Now WAKE UP AND BACK TO WORK!

Jacket
02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for that clarification Dave. I spent half the night mulling this over in my head :p:

On a positive note, I took my first two practice tests and scored 74% and 80% on them. And I aced the questions on Electricity concepts :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that clarification Dave. I spent half the night mulling this over in my head :p:

On a positive note, I took my first two practice tests and scored 74% and 80% on them. And I aced the questions on Electricity concepts :thumb:

Just for follow up....interactive tests can be found on the QRZ.COM (http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl) web site. The test questions come from the same pool of questions that will be on the exams. Take the sample tests and find out where you're weak at then focus on that part of the study.
I studied and passed the test easily but as I found out the test is the easy part of Ham radio. The things you will learn in class from real humans will help you in far greater capacity when you try to actually talk on the radio and fit in! :thumb::thumb:

Jacket
02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
^Those are the ones I took. Quick and easy to use:thumb:

RockRunner
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Took some tests and came away with a 72 and a 74, some of my answers were common sense thinking. Still a lot to learn and like Kevin said, actual use of the radio is still a ? mark for me.

Class was very enjoyable and informative, thanks again for doing this and all the guys who came to support us and help.

Mendocino
02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Taking the practice tests my curiosity was piqued on Sporadic Es and any correlation to Total Electron Content Units (TECUs) in the Ionosphere. I found this monograph that has a discussion of the E Layer on page 19 if anyone wants any light reading.:rolleyes:

http://gge.unb.ca/Pubs/TR188.pdf

(Yes-I am a nihilistic technofetishist):)

Groucho
02-13-2008, 03:19 PM
TEC's are directly influenced by the amount of solar activity present. The amount of sunspots(solar flares, solar activity) presently determines how well the radio waves we use in HAM radio propogate around the earth. Using the different layers of the ionosphere, we get to carry our radio waves further around the earth before they all just shoot off into space. The more solar activity, the better the reflection of the radio waves, the further the radio waves can be effectively received.

The sunspot cycle goes through 11 year cycles. We are currently at the low point of the 11 year cycle, supposedly heading back up. The least amount of radio waves carry around the earth right now. In another 5-6 years we will be experiencing high solar activity and more radio waves will carry further with less power. There are times right now when a big solar flare happens that more reflection is present for a short period of time. But those are far and few between.

For those who want the basics; the regions of the ionosphere act like a mirror bouncing the radio waves back to earth like light on a mirror.

subzali
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
It's kinda more like light reflecting off water right? Sometimes you get a reflection, but other times you don't? I know it's not directly related to the laws of refraction, but the ionosphere isn't opaque like a mirror. Okay I've said my nerdy peace, lurk mode on again...

Mendocino
02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
This was a bit of an epiphany for me. For about 15 years I have dealt with GPS and GNSS for a living. I also deal with some terrestrial radio and my company owns spectrum at 35 MHz. I'm not an engineer but know "enough to be dangerous."

Most of my experience with radio is via space based radio navigation and as a result I am very concerned with signal attenuation and decorrelation as well as multipath from satellites, pulsars and quasars passing through the ionosphere and in the case of the celestial bodies, the magnetosphere.

To wit, I have spent a great deal of time (and corporate funds) characterizing the ionosphere globally in regional contexts to reduce spatial decorrelation of "network RTK" solutions in wide area contexts. This research and subsequent commercialization has been very successful.

When I first read about Sporadic Es it was counter intuitive based on my experience with RTK. After Nathaniel posted I talked to a bunch of radio engineers that I work with and they confirmed that the increase of TECUs does increase the refractive index of the iono and will result in reflected VHF transmissions. You are never too old to have your perspective changed.

This HAM class has been very valuable. Great job Rising Sun!.

Cheers,

Jeff

DaveInDenver
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I dunno if I'm supposed to talk tonight or not, but I'm probably gonna absent or at least pretty late. I'm trying to slip from work ASAP (looks like in the next 30~45 minutes most likely), but still have to get home to service the dog and cat. I'll have a radio on, standard frequencies.

Jacket
02-18-2008, 06:24 PM
I'll be missing tonight's program due to a nasty case of strep throat that's now stricken everyone in the house.

And as it stands now, I'll probably have to miss next week as well (wife is flying to Orlando on Monday).

:(

Uncle Ben
02-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm trying to slip from work but still have to get home to service the dog and cat. :eek: :lmao::lmao:

RockRunner
02-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I MISSED THE CLASS, who took notes............????? I am so bummed, had to work late with no way of getting out of it.

If I read all the chapters covered should I be OK to come to the third class and then maybe take the test??

Red_Chili
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I had to miss... I was flying in from Oklahoma with Carrie's new puppy.

And of course, my choices were, skittle across town to show up an hour late and leave my wife and no dinner, or ...

Watch the puppies get to know each other, start playing with each other, run like holy terrors around the house with the happiest expressions you could imagine, yipping and hollering in joy, and us laughing until we cried....

hmmm. Tough choice.

subzali
02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Last night was fun, but it was Brian's expression of how to get bounce off of the inversion layer, the auroras, the thunderstorms, and meteor showers, along with hearing the Bruce Miller and friends '88 south pacific island expedition recording that really made the night. All of the material that was covered is in the book, so just keep reading and doing the practice problems and tests! :thumb:

RockRunner
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Cool good to hear i can still catch up. Looks like a lot of reading is in my future.

RockRunner
02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Watch the puppies get to know each other, start playing with each other, run like holy terrors around the house with the happiest expressions you could imagine, yipping and hollering in joy, and us laughing until we cried....

hmmm. Tough choice.

No good with out pictures...:photo: