PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu FT-7800R For Sale

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
In a moment of weakness, I ended up getting a new FT-8800R and so I'm selling the FT-7800R to offset the cost. Owned it now for about 2 or so years, mounted as one unit (not split) up high near the ceiling of my truck. Reused the mic and mounting hardware, so the stuff that came with the 8800 is going with the 7800. That all will be in the sealed plastic, radio is in the plastic bag. Other than being a little dusty in spots I could not reach with a cloth and already being programmed with about 150 memories, it'll be just like you bought it from the ham shop. Original owner's manual, warranty paperwork and Yeasu sticker even. I've got mostly Denver repeaters and Colorado simplex frequencies for TX and for monitoring I have FRS, GMRS and a few aircraft frequencies for Centennial. HRO had them at about $250 when I picked up the new one. How about $200 even, hand delivered to the meeting this week.

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 03:29 PM
More photos. I might add it's got pretty low transmit hours. I'd estimate maybe about 100 hours total in the two years and no more than about half of that would be at the full 50W. I typically keep it at levels 1 and 2 around town, which are 10W and 20W, and used it at full power mostly up in the mountains and few times out in Moab to get into repeaters. Oh, I can show you how to reset the radio completely if you want it to be more like brand new, too.

corsair23
12-31-2007, 03:34 PM
So tempting but I'll let UB go first :hill:

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Go for it man....I don't need it.... :rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Go for it man....I don't need it.... Who cares about needing it? I didn't need this 8800 either, but that didn't weigh heavily (enough?) into the decision to part with my Christmas bonus. ;-)

Hulk
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Dude, that's the radio I have. Great radio. Once you talk Dave down to a better price for a used radio, like $150-160ish, you'll have a awesome deal.

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Dude, that's the radio I have. Great radio. Once you talk Dave down to a better price for a used radio, like $150-160ish, you'll have a awesome deal.
How many used radios come pre-programmed and with all new accessories? That's just gotta be worth a couple of Jacksons. Surely knowing that the mic has not been sneezed or spit on by anyone is an upside compared to the riff-raff you see on eHam. No? Kidding aside, it is a great radio. Working through the 8800 configuration I already miss how much easier the 7800 is to program and use. With the 7800 I never once felt I needed programming software (and I have a VX-7R, so I understand the concept). I caught myself looking at the programming cable and software for this 8800...

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Does it get all channels, 1-40, and have a PA output? :rolleyes::hill:

Red_Chili
12-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey Dave, I'm interested. I know nothing though. Can you bring it to the meeting? I need a radio I can split though, I have very little dash room and would like to mount the bulk of it beneath the seat.

[edit: duh. Did a Google. Apparently one can spend $70 for the Yaesu kit to remove the faceplate, or $12 for a phone cable and rewire one end. TOLD you I knew nothing!]

nakman
12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
This is also the same radio that's in the Cruise Moab command center... ;)

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Dave, I'm interested. I know nothing though. Can you bring it to the meeting? I need a radio I can split though, I have very little dash room and would like to mount the bulk of it beneath the seat.

[edit: duh. Did a Google. Apparently one can spend $70 for the Yaesu kit to remove the faceplate, or $12 for a phone cable and rewire one end. TOLD you I knew nothing!]

Chili....if you bought a new one today, 12/31/2007, for just $49 over that price you would still get the separation kit free, a warrentee and free shipping. Check out http://www.gigaparts.com

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Not much to know, very good radio. It is a model that is designed to be split with the face remotely mounted from the main body. It's not difficult or hard to do. This is a great radio and does everything I needed. What prompted me to get the next model up was our holiday road trip. We drove the 4Runner, which has an antenna mounted that I just use with the VX-7R (my little handheld). The VX-7R is what's called dual VFO (variable frequency oscillator), which means it can listen and talk on two different frequencies basically at the same time. I got used to that and wanted it afterall (I decided when I bought the 7800 that I didn't need it). The 7800 can talk and receive on multiple bands, but only one at a time (call it single VFO). So from a hobby stand point it's just a little less convenient. For utility the 7800 and 8800 talk and listen on the exact same frequencies with the same power, it's just that the 8800 is a bit more flexible when trying to make ham contacts or chat with other hams (the geeky ham stuff). I briefly considered keeping both, one in each truck, but at the time that's not really a financial option if I also want to do sliders and a Budbuilt skid. In more than a few ways the 7800 is the better mobile radio since the display is easier to read, the buttons light up, etc.

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Not much to know, very good radio. It is a model that is designed to be split with the face remotely mounted from the main body. It's not difficult or hard to do. This is a great radio and does everything I needed. What prompted me to get the next model up was our holiday road trip. We drove the 4Runner, which has an antenna mounted that I just use with the VX-7R (my little handheld). The VX-7R is what's called dual VFO (variable frequency oscillator), which means it can listen and talk on two different frequencies basically at the same time. I got used to that and wanted it afterall (I decided when I bought the 7800 that I didn't need it). The 7800 can talk and receive on multiple bands, but only one at a time (call it single VFO). So from a hobby stand point it's just a little less convenient. For utility the 7800 and 8800 talk and listen on the exact same frequencies with the same power, it's just that the 8800 is a bit more flexible when trying to make ham contacts or chat with other hams (the geeky ham stuff). I briefly considered keeping both, one in each truck, but at the time that's not really a financial option if I also want to do sliders and a Budbuilt skid. In more than a few ways the 7800 is the better mobile radio since the display is easier to read, the buttons light up, etc.

Plus you can cross band repeat with the 8800 which means you can repeat with 50w through a real antenna while using your HT remotely! Huge advantage of the 7800 is the backlit buttons!

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Apparently one can spend $70 for the Yaesu kit to remove the faceplate, or $12 for a phone cable and rewire one end. TOLD you I knew nothing!]
This is true, regular 6-wire telephone cable like on a business phone. There's even a way to do it without cutting and splicing anything. A piece of velcro to hold the face and you have a split kit. I can bring the YSK-8900 kit that I got with this new radio, I won't need it for anything since I don't remotely mount my radio (the FT-7800R looks to use the YSK-7800, but I dunno what's different between the two separation kits). How Yaesu gets away charging more than $10 for these kits is beyond me. It's just a plastic tray and a couple of cables.

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
This is true, regular 6-wire telephone cable like on a business phone. There's even a way to do it without cutting and splicing anything. A piece of velcro to hold the face and you have a split kit. I can bring the YSK-8900 kit that I got with this new radio, I won't need it for anything since I don't remotely mount my radio. How Yaesu gets away charging more than $10 for these kits is beyond me. It's just a plastic tray and a couple of cables.

That would make the deal sweeter!

Red_Chili
12-31-2007, 05:28 PM
...not really a financial option if I also want to do sliders and a Budbuilt skid. ...
Hmmm... Sliders...

Dave, we may be able to work something out here. I happen to have some steel in my garage intended for exactly that use. My son won't be happy with me but I can build you some robust sliders (Moab tested, by the way) like the ones my wife has been running on her 4Runner... Hmmm... VERY sellable to the spousal unit... ;)

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Plus you can cross band repeat with the 8800 which means you can repeat with 50w through a real antenna while using your HT remotely!
Which in some configurations is illegal to do since the 8800 and 8900 do not self ID, but the hardware will do it in a pinch. You can use the 8800 and 8900 as UHF->VHF (or VHF->UHF) range extender, but the 8800/8900 can't be legally used to extend the range of the receive side of your HT. So in the interest of full compliance you will still need to be able to receive on the HT anyway, so having a transmit extender might or might not help you. Plus since they can't be remotely operated (i.e. turned off and on with the HT), you have to leave it running all the time in your truck, so that opens up problems. Not to mention another legality issue, since you are also supposed to be at the controls of your station all the time should it go haywire or start causing interference. I'm still not really seeing the selling point there (I do admit it seems to be a HUGE marketing point for Yaesu, everyone talks about it!).

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Which in some configurations is illegal to do since the 8800 and 8900 do not self ID, but the hardware will do it in a pinch. You can use the 8800 and 8900 as UHF->VHF (or VHF->UHF) range extender, but the 8800/8900 can't be legally used to extend the range of the receive side of your HT. So in the interest of full compliance you will still need to be able to receive on the HT anyway, so having a transmit extender might or might not help you. Plus since they can't be remotely operated (i.e. turned off and on with the HT), you have to leave it running all the time in your truck, so that opens up problems. Not to mention another legality issue, since you are also supposed to be at the controls of your station all the time should it go haywire or start causing interference. I'm still not really seeing the selling point there (I do admit it seems to be a HUGE marketing point for Yaesu, everyone talks about it!).

Where I see it useful would be while sitting in camp around the campfire and being able to reach out and touch someone from the comfort of your fold up chair and rubber ducky antenna! You could be enjoying the stars above Holy Cross city and tell your buddies on the way up that your running out of Gateraid or somethin' so they can get ya restalked when they get there and you never left your hammoch!

DaveInDenver
12-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Where I see it useful would be while sitting in camp around the campfire and being able to reach out and touch someone from the comfort of your fold up chair and rubber ducky antenna! You could be enjoying the stars above Holy Cross city and tell your buddies on the way up that your running out of Gateraid or somethin' so they can get ya restalked when they get there and you never left your hammoch!
Oh heck yeah, I didn't say it wasn't useful (however only strictly in theory, Mr. FCC Man). ;-)

Convert
12-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you have been studying up on ham radios, there are a lot of advantages to the ham set up. I looked hard at the 8800 with the crossband repeat for the above mentioned reason but went with the 7800 and a hand held. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh heck yeah, I didn't say it wasn't useful (however only strictly in theory, Mr. FCC Man). ;-)
;) :cool:

Uncle Ben
12-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Sounds like you have been studying up on ham radios, there are a lot of advantages to the ham set up. I looked hard at the 8800 with the crossband repeat for the above mentioned reason but went with the 7800 and a hand held. :thumb:

Gotta know the enemy! ;) :hill:

Shark Bait
01-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd be tempted for my 40. Dave, how did you program it? Did you use the cable & software? I'd love to program mine.

DaveInDenver
01-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I'd be tempted for my 40. Dave, how did you program it? Did you use the cable & software? I'd love to program mine.
I programmed it by hand, something that's proved to be much more of a pain on the 8800. I'm gonna buy the cable and software for the 8800... I'll let you know, right now Bill Morgan and acon40 have both offered to buy it and so they get first refusal.

Shark Bait
01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I programmed it by hand, something that's proved to be much more of a pain on the 8800. I'm gonna buy the cable and software for the 8800... I'll let you know, right now Bill Morgan and acon40 have both offered to buy it and so they get first refusal.

No problem. I'd be happy to split the cost with you. I'd love to have my 8800 programmed.

Red_Chili
01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I think Dave and I have an agreement in principle that should work out very well for both of us, so consider it sold. Just need to work out details and timeline. Thanks, Dave!

DaveInDenver
01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I think Dave and I have an agreement in principle that should work out very well for both of us, so consider it sold. Just need to work out details and timeline. Thanks, Dave!
We did come to a gentleman's agreement and so it's Bill's for all intents and purposes. Just replying with the on-deck order so that anyone who's shown interest knows where they stand.

Groucho
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Chili....if you bought a new one today, 12/31/2007, for just $49 over that price you would still get the separation kit free, a warrentee and free shipping. Check out http://www.gigaparts.com

They always do that!

Shark Bait
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
They always do that!

Yes. Not to dampen UB's enthusiasm any more, the separation kit is a basket to hold the head unit, a flat LAN cable and an audio cable to mount a remote speaker. I called Yaesu and managed to buy a "replacement" basket for $5. I know, it sounds like a great deal. :p:

nakman
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, everyone tosses in that overpriced separation kit for some reason, and when you get it you're instantly disappointed by the fact that it's a cheap piece of plastic and a phone cord.

here, Ham City for $235.. http://www.hamcity.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=ft7800