PDA

View Full Version : can a tax retun be done?

acon40
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Can I do my tax return now based of the last pay check of the year that has all the figures on it or do I need to wait for the w2?

Uncle Ben
01-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Can I do my tax return now based of the last pay check of the year that has all the figures on it or do I need to wait for the w2?

If you qualify for on line filing you can technically file with out the W2. Do not forget the State refund you got last year as it is an income.

Romer
01-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I always fill out my taxes based on my last paycheck for planning purposes at least. If you file electronically you don't need to attach it. Bear in mind, if you have a typo that doesn't match, there will be a hassle to fix it.

corsair23
01-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Personally I'd wait unless you know FOR SURE it is exact and you don't have any other forms you are waiting on from other places (interest income, dividends, etc)...

What I usually do is get is all ready to go using last paycheck etc. and then sit on it. Once the W2 arrives and you verify all is good, bang, your done :thumb:

Can you get an electronic W2 from your employer? Seems to be the wave of the future and apparently much quicker to get.

Romer
01-02-2008, 08:39 AM
If your getting a refund, those won't be available till late February due to the extension of the AMT a few weeks ago by Congress. The IRS has to reprorgamm all their computers. I for one am glad they extended it as it is saving me some money. Otherwise, it would have gone back to 1985 thresholds.

corsair23
01-02-2008, 06:50 PM
If your getting a refund, those won't be available till late February due to the extension of the AMT a few weeks ago by Congress. The IRS has to reprorgamm all their computers. I for one am glad they extended it as it is saving me some money. Otherwise, it would have gone back to 1985 thresholds.

x2...Now if they could just agree earlier rather than later for a change :hill: