PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Colorado to go crawlin, need suggestions on where to live

hamilton
01-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Some friends and I will be traveling out there next week (flying into Denver) to scope out the areas and try to find the best area to live. We currently live in NC and have worn out the trails. With a lot of luck and a little nest egg, we are planning on up routing to discover new trails. We ride all hard core trails and are specfically looking for those trails in Colorado. Any suggestions will be appreicated.

Shark Bait
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Best area to live? That probably depends on what you are going to do and what you like, city or mountains.

As far as where to wheel, check out this (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4) thread :D

HTH

nakman
01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hmmm... well if you moved to the west side of the state, you could possibly hook up with these guys http://www.proffittscruisers.com/

corsair23
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
x2 on what Chris states on the best area to live...

Do you like the city or wide open spaces? Do you have children that you need to worry about schools for? What price range are you looking for? Do you mind a long commute for work?

Lots of great areas but it all depends on your likes/dislikes. Heck, the metro area is even sort of partitioned based on political affiliation :lol:

hamilton
01-03-2008, 08:32 PM
well preferbly we would like to be in the mountains, however we still need to be able to find jobs. It seems the larger cities are on the East side, but if the better trails are to the west or south which could be easy access to Arizona and NM we would focus on getting to those areas.
We are in our late 20's with no children or significant others so we can be flexible in that regard.
Thanks a lot for the feed back!

Hulk
01-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Grand Junction is a pretty big city these days. Lot of wheeling nearby, Moab is only 90 minutes away, and you don't have to be a hermit. You might also check out Durango in the SW part of Colorado.

farnhamstj
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Colorado is a terrible place to live, I can't imagine why anyone would want to live here. I'd maybe try somewhere like Texas or California instead.

Bighead
01-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Colorado is a terrible place to live, I can't imagine why anyone would want to live here. I'd maybe try somewhere like Texas or California instead.

:lmao:

Hamilton: Where are you coming from in NC?

farnhamstj
01-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Hamilton, Welcome to the board! How about you post up a little about yourself and your rig. Check out the western part of the state for "hardcore" But there is no shortage of trails regardless of where you live in CO. Winter may not be the best time as most trails are covered in 4' of snow. Unless you ski, or are as dumb as the rest of us and still wheel in the winter. I think we have more LandCruiser nerds in Denver than in the rest of the state.

hamilton
01-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I currently live in Bryson City, NC. Its in the mountains only about an hour from Tellico and less than 5 hours to multiple other good riding.
I was thinking Grand Junction or Durango might become a suggestion, they were defintenly towns I have looked at. However, Durango seems pricey and Grand Junction seems like its very small. Small town is not a bad thing I am just afraid it might be hard to find jobs.
I have attemped to attach some pictures, the first two are my original Cruiser one before the tube work and one after. The final one is old comp buggy I brought back to life this past summer.

wesintl
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
guard rail? I guess it depends on what kind of job your would look for. If your a mechanic or in construction it'd be easier to find a job unless say you were project manager...

Durango is a much smaller town than GJ. ~13k vs 41k people.

There are hard core trails all over. Carnage bv, montrose, indy, farmington, moab, black hills, I've never run any of them so I can't really tell you anything. :D

Might ask one of the HG crew.

hamilton
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Yep, thats guard rail; good eye.
Two summers ago I was out there with the cruiser, we rode carnage, independence, moab, montrose, and some others. I guess that is what has got me hooked, I want more!
I'll do some more research on GJ.
Who is the HG crew?
Thanks again

chilitoy
01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Just to confuse you more, I lived in Vail for the last 10 years and just moved to Denver downtown area,and both are great.If you live in the mountains around Vail,Breckenridge area - rent or houses are expensive, but you access to all kind trails and other recreation,and depending on what you want to do for work jobs arent too hard too find. Construction jobs are plentiful and pay decent.The city is cheaper and and still close to recreation, however sometimes more crowded.But there are also alot of places, that with a short cruise to, you can play all day and get home in time for din-din.

Uncle Ben
01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Yep, thats guard rail; good eye.
Two summers ago I was out there with the cruiser, we rode carnage, independence, moab, montrose, and some others. I guess that is what has got me hooked, I want more!
I'll do some more research on GJ.
Who is the HG crew?
Thanks again

Contact Ben Swain at Slee Off Road for HG tour dates! :lmao:

Trapper50cal
01-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Durango, Hands down. especially if you hunt too or do any flyfishing.

isotel
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
GJ is a Good Central location for hard core wheeling! the climate there is pretty nice too!, but its pretty far from the front range.