PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Moab rig prep and gear list

Mendocino
01-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Does anyone have a rig preparation checklist? I have read the tech inspection requirements, but was looking for something more substantial. Also, does anyone have a list of gear that they typically bring for thier rig's needs?

I have never done a trip like this and would like to minimize issues, especially considering I am taking a "new" '40.

:cheers:

Shark Bait
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
We are planning on resurrecting the annual Rising Sun Wheel Bearing Packing Party, sometime in April. That would be a good time to re-pack the front wheel bearings and do basic maintenance. Fluid exchanges, engine tune up, etc.

Tools and basic spares like belts & hoses would be a good start. Spare Birfields, axles, driveshafts, 3rd members, tie rods & ends, and all the seals and gaskets you might need, all would be nice to have. If I bring a 3rd member it usually stays in camp. Extra grease and fluids, 90w & 40w, PS, brake fluid and coolant. It all depends on how much you want to carry. There is a NAPA in Moab, so you could buy some stuff there. A Trail Spill (http://www.bluedevilproducts.com/Standard%20Products/Trail%20Pails/Graphics/BDP%20-%20Trail%20Pail%20ATP1.6%20Instruction%20Sheet.jpg) kit is a good thing to have.

Rezarf
01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
The best thing to do is to make sure you have taken care of all of the "known" issues before heading out.

Make sure your brakes and steering are really safe and tight.

Make sure all your fluids are clean and the correct amount is in there.

Make sure your tires are in good shape. And you have a good spare that matches the size on your rig and all the equipment needed to change it out.

As for what to bring, Chris' list above is a great place to start. I bring a good set of hand tools, and my manual as well. I bring spare belts, a hub flange, fluids, a 3rd member, rtv zip ties and duct tape. Rubber gloves and hand cleaner is nice too.

The great thing about CM is that most folks are there looking out for one another. And if you break down bad, no one is going to leave you stranded on your own, folks will help to get you running again. Now if you bring a basket case to the trails, that grace tends to ride pretty thin pretty quick.

:thumb:

AxleIke
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
The best thing to do is to make sure you have taken care of all of the "known" issues before heading out.

Make sure your brakes and steering are really safe and tight.

Make sure all your fluids are clean and the correct amount is in there.

Make sure your tires are in good shape. And you have a good spare that matches the size on your rig and all the equipment needed to change it out.

As for what to bring, Chris' list above is a great place to start. I bring a good set of hand tools, and my manual as well. I bring spare belts, a hub flange, fluids, a 3rd member, rtv zip ties and duct tape. Rubber gloves and hand cleaner is nice too.

The great thing about CM is that most folks are there looking out for one another. And if you break down bad, no one is going to leave you stranded on your own, folks will help to get you running again. Now if you bring a basket case to the trails, that grace tends to ride pretty thin pretty quick.

:thumb:

x100

Well said.

RockRunner
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Believe it or not a pair of jumper cables. We needed a set last year and only one person had a pair and he nearly left them behind. Also any specialty tools you may need for you rig, like a Hub socket. Jeff not sure if you meant spare hub or socket. Besides that Chris pretty much covered it, oh maybe a tarp just in case. Protects you from the sun or rain if stuck working on the truck.

corsair23
01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Believe it or not a pair of jumper cables. We needed a set last year and only one person had a pair and he nearly left them behind.

Look me up next time Tom - I ALWAYS have a set in my rig just in case. Of course if you're not on the same trail as me that won't help much :hill:

As for the list. Drew hit is on the head...Bring as much as practical and be as prepared as possible. Keep in mind the trails you are planning to run and what things are likely to break and go from there.

Oh, and start now. CM always has a way of sneaking up on you and then suddenly it becomes the mad scramble to get ready :hill:

bigbluefj
01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
bring every thing plus the kitchen sink, someone will alway's need some thing or another..

ScaldedDog
01-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Just follow these easy steps:

1) Fix what's broke before you leave.
2) Take what you need to fix what might break while you're there.
3) Wheel with Marlin. :D

Seriously, I do most of my own work, and carry the tools I used to do it, along with common spare mall parts (e.g. electrical connectors, hoses, fluids, etc.). I can't afford to carry spare axles, but I'm hoping mine are strong enough to make breakage unlikely.

Mark

60wag
01-06-2008, 06:34 AM
What you need to bring depends a lot on your truck and how you drive it. If you have a V8 powered 40 and a habit of breaking things, then your spares should weigh in around 30% of the vehicle weight. With my 2F powered 60, I've never broken anything in Moab and my relatively light weight stash of spares went untouched. As mentioned above, take care of any known issues before you leave the house.