PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question - Windows Install new computer

isotel
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
So, im wondering if any of you guys have any incite for me.

Ive Re-Built an old machine, new Motherboard, CPU, and Memory. Im using a SATA Hard drive, and the old Case, power supply, and cd/floppy drives.. I start the install on the machine, Add the drivers for SATA on from the floppy, Reformat the drive, and the setup copys the data over and starts the install process, Then it wants to reboot the machine and continue the setup, i take out the floppy, and it reboots, then instead of continuing the install, it goes back to the original install screen and tries to go thru the whole process over again.. :confused:

Ive tried this with an XP SP2 disk, and a win2K disk, same results.. What am i missing here

treerootCO
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
How does it go back to the install screen if the floppy is removed? Those instructions should be only on the floppy.

Tch2fly
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Check the boot order in the BIOS and make sure it is set to boot from the HD not the disk (don't ask how I know that ;) )

isotel
01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Root, it asks me to remove any floppy's before the reboot,

Boot Sequence is set for HDD then Cd

isotel
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
on the second bootup, it states that it could not find the partition on the HDD, then procedes to boot from the cd and start the reinstall over again.. so i may have an issue with my sata settings or drivers, or a bad HDD..

theboomboom
01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Try removing the install CD aswell. Once it gets to the install, it will ask for the CD if it isn't already in the drive. Also, try downloading the SATA drivers from the manufacturer's website as the ones you have now may be outdated.

Romer
01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
When I just built a new machine with SATA I tossed the SATA drive disks away, put the install CD in the computer and botted from it. Used the CD for windows install to format and partition the drive and then installed the operating system.

My guess is the floppy's are formatting your disk to a different format than windows, thats why I don't use the floppy drivers for anything until after the operating system is installed.

treerootCO
01-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Some operating systems are also picky on HD size. Your HD may be too large for the OS on bootup. Newer drivers will work or you can throttle down the HD size in BIOS as well. You should also look into updating your BIOS if you haven't yet. Older systems are not aware of newer technology like larger drives because at the time of manufacture, they didn't exist. Be careful flashing BIOS because you may end up with a brick.

isotel
01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
thanks guys, I ended up Ditching that drive, and going back to an older IDE one, Works fine now.. But i really wanted 3GB/sec Speeds :comp:

Romer
01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Like I said, worked fine when I built my new computer using the windows install disk to format the drive.

be easy for you to test. Just unplug the IDE and try it and if it doesn't work, plug it back in.

Glad you got it working though