PDA

View Full Version : 80 Series Mod Party

Crash
01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
In a topic started in Treeroot's thread about his new 80 and things he's doing to it, Uncle Ben has offered to bring electrical parts and his skills required to make several worthwhile mods to 80s should we get something like that going as a group. I am offering to host such a gathering at my northwest Denver home and some Saturday seems to be the best for most of those interested. The water temp gauge and auto-up window mods are the two most talked about so far and other suggestions will be appreciated. Uncle Ben has requested that we wait a bit to let the holiday upheaval die down a little. I'm in for both mods how about you? Since it would be "light" mechanicing, a few beers while modding wouldn't be out of the question.
:beer:

Romer
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a aftermarket temp gauge, but might go for the window mod

nakman
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm in for both- temp gauge and auto-up window! I'll finally fix that D light, too.

treerootCO
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm in for both- temp gauge and auto-up window! I'll finally fix that D light, too.

The D light fix is easy. Mine fixed itself on a really hard landing. Now I need the bent axle tube mod...

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM

I'll get Jerry to get in some cluster bulbs for those who would like a bright green D again...

treerootCO
01-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I'll get Jerry to get in some cluster bulbs for those who would like a bright green D again...

Can you ask Jerry to see if he can find an FJ Cruiser grill emblem for me. Just the Toyota part. Last round he wasn't able to find the part number for just the Toyota. I would hate to go to the dark side :p:

Cowboy bob has to go!

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
If we get an assembly line going we can crank this stuff out fast! Couple folks R&Ring, a couple folks cleaning contacts, someone to be the soldering assistant and of course someone playing beer gopher. ;) If someone wants to do the speaker upgrade contact Nakster or Romo to find what you need and get it ordered ahead of time. The biggest job is removing the cluster but once you know the tricks it goes pretty quick. I have plenty of diodes and resistors for both mods.

treerootCO
01-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I have all the OE parts for a dual battery mod I can bring over if someone was interested. I also have the wash bottle relocation kit from Christo.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
You once threatened to make up temp gauge stickers....any hope? :confused:

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Should we move this to members only or should we make non members feed and hydrate us?

corsair23
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm in :thumb:

Definite on the window mod, probable on the temp gauge mod just 'cuz if there is time, and maybe I'll even bring my new speakers that have been sitting in the garage for like forever now. Maybe after watching and helping I can tackle the :Princess:'s 80 later :)

EDIT: I know we haven't discussed dates yet but Feb 9th & 10th are out for me

Romer
01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I probably should come. Sounds like you 80's guys need some moderation :D

corsair23
01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I have all the OE parts for a dual battery mod I can bring over if someone was interested. I also have the wash bottle relocation kit from Christo.

Did you buy extras Mike? I plan to do the dual battery eventually but I've haven't procurred any of the parts yet. Not a priority on my list of to do's but if you have extra stuff I could buy then no reason not to get 'er done at least partway :thumb:

corsair23
01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
You once threatened to make up temp gauge stickers....any hope? :confused:

I wonder...I have a Scanguage II. Might be possible to use it to determine the temps on the modded gauges? Although I have read that each one seems to come out just a little different. Not as fancy as the way RT on MUD figured it out though :D

isotel
01-09-2008, 03:18 PM
80 Guys, I have access to a Vinyl Cutter, What would be needed for the Temp Guage Stickers?? If someone designs something in Illustrator, i could have a bunch cut out!
Small Numbers can be hard to trim and install, but it may be better than, Hot/cold

DaveInDenver
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Still trying to figure out if the temp gauge mod works on mini trucks (it would use the same values resistor values as a 91-92 FJ80, since the temp senders are the same on the 3F-E, 22R-E, 3VZ-FE).

But if you need extra tools, I have a Hakko 936 soldering station (I've got a few different sized tips good from ICs up to PL259 connectors), Goot CS-30 soldering iron with a regular 1.5mm tip, a big ol' roll of Kester '44' 63/37 in 0.025" diameter (I also have heavier gauge 60/40 and some 0.025" 62/36/2 silver solder if someone really wants it), a Panavise, a mini bench vise, bunch of electronics hand tools. Let me know if you want any of it for the assembly line. Years ago I went through soldering training at HP, but I'm worthless for anything smaller than about 1206 or 50 mil SOIC. I just let the techs downstairs do the 37 mil pitch and finer and the 0805, 0603 and 0402 junk.

nakman
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
All I was thinking of doing for stickers would be printing them onto clear sticker paper and cutting them out. Vinyl would be way better, but yes tough to cut. I will work on matching the font type and size with the rest of the dash numbers.. can someone feed me the numbers you'd like to have? you know, 160, 180, 220.. then we'll decide as a group where to stick 'em.

And I guess if anyone wants to do their recliner hinge mods on the same day, I would be willing to supervise that operation as well. All you need is your 2nd row seats, and the hinges from your third rows. I'm going to assume Crash has a drill press.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I wonder...I have a Scanguage II. Might be possible to use it to determine the temps on the modded gauges? Although I have read that each one seems to come out just a little different. Not as fancy as the way RT on MUD figured it out though :D

The temps do not have to be exact...it's only water temp! If your close then it's more than fine! 99.8% of the vehicles out there have temp gauges like ours that are basically an analog warning light! The trouble is if you get into exact placement of your temp stickers you will turn the project into an all day job then STILL have to wrestle the cluster back into the dash when your satisfied on the marks. RT has a pretty darn close approximation on the thread on Romers excellent 80 FAC!

The approximations are....

Full sweep peg to peg is 94

Pegged hot 244
Top of red is 227
Bottom of red 217
Center is approximately 189
Cold line is 160
Pegged cold 150

I have checked mine with my infrared gun and it's very close to the same numbers!

Crash
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
All I was thinking of doing for stickers would be printing them onto clear sticker paper and cutting them out. Vinyl would be way better, but yes tough to cut. I will work on matching the font type and size with the rest of the dash numbers.. can someone feed me the numbers you'd like to have? you know, 160, 180, 220.. then we'll decide as a group where to stick 'em.

And I guess if anyone wants to do their recliner hinge mods on the same day, I would be willing to supervise that operation as well. All you need is your 2nd row seats, and the hinges from your third rows. I'm going to assume Crash has a drill press.

Tim, your assumption is correct about the drill press and it is Slee Off Road approved - it was Christo's first shop press I believe! Dave, yes please come as an EE is always welcome at a soldering party and it would be a good chance to return any tools of mine you might still have. :hill:
Uncle Ben, I think this would be a good "Members Only" function. Might work as incentive for those fence sitters to join the club?

DaveInDenver
01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Dave, yes please come as an EE is always welcome at a soldering party and it would be a good chance to return any tools of mine you might still have.
I know of one that has been in my truck for at least the last 2 club meetings, but no Crash to receive them. :-P

Do I have any others besides the leak down?

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Dude....what planet do you call home? :confused: :homer:
I have my Weller with a tip, a sponge, some small resin core solder, a set of helping hands, a vacuum solder sucker outer, some solder braid, needle nose, picks, small reamers, and an extension cord......oh and a great set of roach cli....oops I mean hemostats! :flamingo::hill:

Still trying to figure out if the temp gauge mod works on mini trucks (it would use the same values resistor values as a 91-92 FJ80, since the temp senders are the same on the 3F-E, 22R-E, 3VZ-FE).

But if you need extra tools, I have a Hakko 936 soldering station (I've got a few different sized tips good from ICs up to PL259 connectors), Goot CS-30 soldering iron with a regular 1.5mm tip, a big ol' roll of Kester '44' 63/37 in 0.025" diameter (I also have heavier gauge 60/40 and some 0.025" 62/36/2 silver solder if someone really wants it), a Panavise, a mini bench vise, bunch of electronics hand tools. Let me know if you want any of it for the assembly line. Years ago I went through soldering training at HP, but I'm worthless for anything smaller than about 1206 or 50 mil SOIC. I just let the techs downstairs do the 37 mil pitch and finer and the 0805, 0603 and 0402 junk.

DaveInDenver
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Dude....what planet do you call home?
You do know what I do, right? Look at the last picture of the Cassini spacecraft. You're lucky I don't really open up the terminology can of worms. BTW, the first picture is the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and the second is the Kepler bird.

nuclearlemon
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
i think i already have the window mod cause mine does auto up and down. i have no urge to see my "d" light...i think that would be annoying. i use my scanguage for temp readings, but i suppose it would be good to have the mod in case anything happens to the scanguage. i definitely would like to come check out all the action.

anybody know how to fix tripmeters? that's not working on mine.

mike, i don't have the bent axle mod, but i've got the "bent everything else" mod...i'd be more than happy to share it :hill:

Crash
01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Uncle Ben;57041]Dude....what planet do you call home? :confused: :homer:

Hopefully, the goober is from Mars and not Venus! :p:
That's the only thing I can think of Dave and thanks for reminding me I need to mail Hulk a check. Oops!!
Kevin, does the WebMaster have to move the thread to Members Only or can we do that ourselves? Also, since you da man with the skills and the parts, when would you like to see this thing occur? That would best be answered when the thread gets moved, I suppose.
:beer:

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Heres where I got my electronics training....
http://www.slick7.com/images/S7slot1.jpg and then....http://www.hobbyconnect.com/images/Big_Cars.jpg....still into those a bit....and of course....http://www.finkbuilt.com/static/images/articles/MSinterior.jpg

It all started as a little boy....I took stuff apart and if dad couldn't put it back together and I couldn't put it back together I got....http://gizzy.sstwo.net/pics/matrix1.jpg

My stuff may not fly very far but it usually holds up to the landing. :lmao::lmao: :thumb::hill:

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
i think i already have the window mod cause mine does auto up and down. i have no urge to see my "d" light...i think that would be annoying. i use my scanguage for temp readings, but i suppose it would be good to have the mod in case anything happens to the scanguage. i definitely would like to come check out all the action.

anybody know how to fix tripmeters? that's not working on mine.

mike, i don't have the bent axle mod, but i've got the "bent everything else" mod...i'd be more than happy to share it :hill:

Ig.....what year is your 80....I forget. The temp gauge mod only works on 95 and up.

nuclearlemon
01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Ig.....what year is your 80....I forget. The temp gauge mod only works on 95 and up.

95 ;)

Romer
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
You do know what I do, right? Look at the last picture of the Cassini spacecraft. You're lucky I don't really open up the terminology can of worms. BTW, the first picture is the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and the second is the Kepler bird.

So, what do you do?

I supported the Mars spacecraft and the Magellean (Venus) Spacecraft and designed the onboard computers for a bunch of spacecraft I can't talk about.:D

timmbuck2
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
temp gauge, window up, d light, cdl switch, speakers, cb uniden 510 install in the ashtray. What else can I do with the dash off? :)

T

corsair23
01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
temp gauge, window up, d light, cdl switch, speakers, cb uniden 510 install in the ashtray. What else can I do with the dash off? :)

T

Front and rear axle rebuild, replace rotors and brake pads, coolant flush, PHH replacement, front/center/rear diff fluid exchange, plugs and wires, PCV, oil and oil filter change, ATF change, wiper replacement, etc.

Although technically I guess you don't really need to remove the dash to complete these items :hill:

Crash
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone have a CDL switch they need to unload? I'd like to do that, too. I'm such an 80 noob.

Convert
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Im in for the auto up mod :thumb:

Romer
01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Digital Hardware Engineer at SEAKR, about 50/50 PCBs and FPGAs. We can talk sometime about the programs I've been on, mostly they're located at Boeing-Sunnyvale, JPL, USA, BATC, LMA.

Yes, we used a SEAKR Tape recorder on a spacecraft I worked on once. Did a lot of reserach on the solid state version before going a different direction.

But then that was the late 80's early 90's

Hulk
01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm in for this. I'd prefer to do it NOT on Jan. 26th. My Mom is in town from St. Louis. How about Jan. 19 or Feb. 2?

timmbuck2
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Jan 19 is great for me...and anyone want to ski the 20th? :)

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Anyone have a CDL switch they need to unload? I'd like to do that, too. I'm such an 80 noob.

That would have to come from Mot, C-Dan, or Christo

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Jan 19 is great for me...and anyone want to ski the 20th? :)

Where....I'm prolly up for a boarding trip! As far as doing the mods on the 19th....it would be great if we did them in fair weather. Pulling plastic trim off when it's cold often results in undesirable issues!

timmbuck2
01-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Where....I'm prolly up for a boarding trip! As far as doing the mods on the 19th....it would be great if we did them in fair weather. Pulling plastic trim off when it's cold often results in undesirable issues!

I plan to hit Copper the 20th, maybe 21st.

That would have to come from Mot, C-Dan, or Christo

If you order one Crash, let me know, we can save on shipping.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I plan to hit Copper the 20th, maybe 21st.

If you order one Crash, let me know, we can save on shipping.

I have a class on the 21'st but the 20th might just work!

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I have 4 indicator bulbs on their way. Do I need more than that? Root....the Toy emblem on the FJC is part of the grill...still want it?

treerootCO
01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
probably not...I'll have to see if a 78 or 79 FJ40 emblem will work.

Romer
01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Can you get a 93 or 94 Emblem and will that work for you?

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Update,
I picked up the special order cluster bulbs to resurrect your "D" lights again. Jerry donated them to us! So when we do the 80 mod party up to 5 lucky folks will have the D functioning again! ;) (mine has already been changed when I did the temp gauge mod) :cheers:

nakman
01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Sweet! I should have a bunch of bulbs too, if I can find them. Do we have a date yet?

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Sweet! I should have a bunch of bulbs too, if I can find them. Do we have a date yet?

I would prefer a slightly warmer time so we don't break plastic!

Hulk
01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Update,
I picked up the special order cluster bulbs to resurrect your "D" lights again. Jerry donated them to us! So when we do the 80 mod party up to 5 lucky folks will have the D functioning again! ;) (mine has already been changed when I did the temp gauge mod) :cheers:

Awesome! My D light has been out since I bought the truck.

Crash
01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I would prefer a slightly warmer time so we don't break plastic!

Again, since Kevin is THE MAN making this work, let him pick a date and we'll go from there. Kevin, I suggest that when we do have a firm date, that we post that in the Member's Section, otay? My place is still available for the gathering.

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Again, since Kevin is THE MAN making this work, let him pick a date and we'll go from there. Kevin, I suggest that when we do have a firm date, that we post that in the Member's Section, otay? My place is still available for the gathering.

:thumb::thumb:

corsair23
01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Awesome! My D light has been out since I bought the truck.

And mine will go out right after the party is over :hill:

I'm with UB about waiting for warmer weather...no fun trying to do this with frozen fingers

timmbuck2
01-16-2008, 07:25 PM
and Tim could school us on LED lights. :)

Crash
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
TTT
Days are getting longer and warmer and Cruise Moab is right around the corner. The original offer to have everyone at my house still stands or could this possibly be an add-on to the WBPP? Ricardo?

FZJ4FUN
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I just baught a 97 FZJ80 and it sounds like most of the work you guys have planned my rig needs done. Such as the D light. I would like to join if there is room for another and ask some ??? if possible. Thanks Guys.
:bowdown:

LARGEONE
02-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Every time I read this thread, I wish I had purchased my 80 a year earlier!!! If there are others who would like to make some of these mods, I would definitely volunteer my house/garage for the work!

My D and N lights are out, and I believe a couple others. The auto window mod and others sound awesome as well.

So, I'm in if there is ever another 80 mod party!

Please, Please, Please!!!

timmbuck2
03-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Paging Mr. Maestas!

Crash
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Paging Mr. Maestas!

Geezz, Timm, isn't Ricardo's cubicle about two doors down from yours? :hill:

timmbuck2
03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Geezz, Timm, isn't Ricardo's cubicle about two doors down from yours? :hill:

Heck no, it is at LEAST 20 feet away! :hill: