PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGH! full front rebuild, 1 hub hot after small trip

FJBen
01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Ok, just finished the whole front end rebuild, longfields, e-locker swap and after driving for about 15minutes on at 50mph for about 5. I went to check the the 4wd so I was going to lock in the hubs. Drivers side fine, but passenger side HOT. Like you couldn't hold your hand on it for more than a second. It was definitely all the heat in the hub.

:mad: WTF? I have a very long trip to make saturday in it (long story you'll soon know about) but now it's a little sketchy.

So I drove it into work this morning, only a few miles, and the hub was still freezing cold. No sounds, no pulling.

Is there some chance the hub could have been partially engaged?

Wheel bearings took a dive on that side?

HELP :beer::D

subzali
01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Wheel bearings too tight?

FJBen
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Wheel bearings too tight?

With the tire in the air, you can spin it pretty good and it will spin for a while. It's not really dragging that i can tell.

We used the same shims from before. The axle never got hot before.

Red_Chili
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Brake caliper hanging? Heats the hub more than you would think.

FJBen
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Brake caliper hanging? Heats the hub more than you would think.

It's a thought, I"m going to try a test drive here in the the few minutes and see if it's gets stupid hot again. Only thing I did was wash everything off at the carwash at 8:00pm last night...maybe that froze something????

It's just strange there was no heat this morning. I"ll test again.

Red_Chili
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Only thing I did was wash everything off at the carwash at 8:00pm last night...maybe that froze something????
Naw.

leiniesred
01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
brake drag is MOST likely.

You did a full-meal-deal rebuild, which means you pulled the caliper. Did a hard brake line get kinked? Did the old flexible brake line get damaged when you flipped the caliper out of the way? (or left it hangin'?)

Sometimes, you can't SEE the problem, but the hose swells up on the inside, preventing the brakes from backing off. I did it on my VW once. Hoses looked fine, but were old. Brake started dragging, as it got hotter, the fluid expanded and it dragged harder and harder until it went on 100% and the car would NOT move. Changed brake hoses and problem solved.

FJBen
01-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Ok...strange...:confused:

just drove around 15ish miles, 65mph...stop turn around...a few stops and goes and the hub is cold as can be. :confused: Maybe something just stuck last night???

Beater
01-11-2008, 11:51 AM
you could have also had something silly like a rock/gravel/sand in the pad/caliper hardware.

Happened to me once on a porsche.... only way I found out was the knick it left from being squeezed in there when I took it all apart. It had already fallen out.

j

Rzeppa
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Sig line says 1967 FJ40, which is drum front. Seeing the replies on this thread suggest disks. Which would mean FDC. So, Ben what's your front setup?

60wag
01-13-2008, 08:31 AM
The brake comments sound good to me but if you want more ideas..... Maybe you severely overpacked the bearing with grease. This makes the grease get "worked" much more than a properly filled bearing. When the grease exceeded its flow temp, most of it ran out of the bearing which explains why its not hot anymore.

Did you change the bearing races? Maybe one wasn't seated correctly and gave a false feeling of bearing preload. It got hot and managed to seat itself dropping the preload to nothing. I'd at least pull the freehub and see if the grease has been liquified.

Rzeppa
01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Again, it makes a huge difference if we are dealing with stock 1967 drums or a FDB conversion. When the wheel bearings lose their preload, they behave entirely differently on drums versus disks.

FJBen
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Again, it makes a huge difference if we are dealing with stock 1967 drums or a FDB conversion. When the wheel bearings lose their preload, they behave entirely differently on drums versus disks.

It was a fully rebuilt front end, mini-truck knuckles, longfield 30 splines and an elocker conversion.

I drove the rig 500 miles on saturday and the hub stayed as cold as could be. I'm guessing it was a stuck caliper for the first test drive or maybe it was too much grease...:confused: