PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing radius tubing bend

Red_Chili
01-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Anybody know anybody who can do this? My front fenders have some complex radius bends and I would like to bend tubing to match. 1 1/2" tubing if that matters to ya.

I have heard that the bender may be called a roll bender.

Red_Chili
01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Another thought: one bend would be approximately 8" radius, the other approximately 10" radius, with an easing into the bend, and another gentle curve, that I could probably 'encourage' with a HB pipe bender.

Anybody have these radii for 1.5" tubing?

Rezarf
01-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Bill, post up a pic so we can see what you are talking about. FWIW, pipe and tube are measured differently. I have a pipe bender if it would be of help.

Drew

chilitoy
01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Also check with Roadrunner Fabrication.They are known for their rolling and bending equipment and tools.Also try Denver Boiler(I think),they roll and bend all types of tube and pipe.We use both places when we have crazy bends and odd sizes.I dont know how much they charge,but either should have no problems.

Red_Chili
01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the leads! This Roadrunner? http://www.roadrunnerfabrication.com/home.html
Yeah, I know about the diffos between pipe and tube, and I have a new pipe bender... 1.25 pipe is *slightly* larger OD than 1.5 tubing. It would look OK if I did that.

I heard about HRH fabrication, I will go down there tomorrow afternoon and see what they do. I described it and he said they had done things like that for J**ps.

Here is the front fender I hope to protect (from right after the rebuild):
http://thexota.org/d/7701-1/F1.jpg

Notice the compound curves that would have to be in tube at the fender's edge:
http://thexota.org/d/7707-1/F4.jpg

RockRunner
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Have you talked to Hanks auto? They are a few blocks south of C-470 and Sante Fe. He posts on Colorado4x4.org, you can get his info there maybe. I have seen his work, very clean and straight

J Kimmel
01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
hank doesn't have a roller.

the other possibility is simply using two different dies, one 4-4.5 ish and the other 5-5.5 ish.

Beater
01-14-2008, 07:46 AM
sorry bill, I took mine apart.

you need a hydraulic one to replicate stuff accurately though.. roadrunner is up on 58th ave in denver

Red_Chili
01-14-2008, 08:32 AM
HRH was the first place I called, then I saw that Roadrunner was a Yotatech sponsor at one point. We'll see. THANKS for all the suggestions! I have gone from hopeless to very intrigued at the possibilities here. Hopefully my fab skills will lead to something very cool and workable.

At the mall of course.

chilitoy
01-14-2008, 11:31 PM
When I did my front bumper,I made a slight bend(about 15-20 deg.),then moved the pipe forward in the die about an inch, and so on. I also twisted the pipe in the die at the same time to get a rolled and helical effect. I tried to start the bends as close as I could to each other so there was not a kinked look. Mark the pipe at the beginning of each bend(your die should have an arrow) so you have a reference for the other side. You said you have a bender, so throw some scrap in and play around and see what you can get it to do. Have fun!

RockRunner
01-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Bill, I see a bender in your future! I have been wanting to buy one too, want to share the cost??? Can always sell it after we are done. LMK what you think.

Red_Chili
01-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Got a pipe bender. You are welcome to use it if pipe works for your plans rather than tubing. It would be tempting to try to have a tubing die made for it, frankly. 1.5" and 2", that would take care of most needs. I don't know why HF doesn't sell them. Guess pipe works for their clientèle.

Maybe lining the next size up pipe die with some 'skin' from tubing would work? Cheep-N-Cheesy. Hey, but if it works...

I just don't bend enough tubing to justify a tubing bender and dies.

RockRunner
01-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Got a pipe bender. You are welcome to use it if pipe works for your plans rather than tubing. It would be tempting to try to have a tubing die made for it, frankly. 1.5" and 2", that would take care of most needs. I don't know why HF doesn't sell them. Guess pipe works for their clientèle.

Maybe lining the next size up pipe die with some 'skin' from tubing would work? Cheep-N-Cheesy. Hey, but if it works...

I just don't bend enough tubing to justify a tubing bender and dies.

I hear you, I just don't know how well pipe will hold up to abuse from the Rubithon. If you think it is OK I would be willing to split the cost of a die maybe. I want to add to the outside protection, not a full EXO but a half maybe. Protect the fenders and top somewhat etc. Not to mention the rear sides like you did and anything else. Give me a call when you can, maybe we can figure something out.

BTW how are you and your family doing? Sharon and I gave our dogs a big hug from your family and Anna MacKay ;) We were sad the rest of the night, she was a beautiful member of your family.

Red_Chili
01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Tom. It's tough.

As far as pipe, it is not as strong or light, but should be strong enough. I have all the pipe dies. Let me know.