PDA

View Full Version : 4.88s for my 80

Hulk
01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Just bought a 4.88 kit from Carl at JTS Diff Parts & Accessories (ringpinion.biz on Mud - here are the details (http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/177925-4-56-4-88-5-29-gears-lc-40-55-60-70-80-100-series.html)). Bought the front carrier bearings too, plus a solid spacer instead of the crush sleeve. My bank account is rapidly becoming depleted. :(:eek:

He's sending me the Precision Gears at the $679 price (not including the carrier bearings and solid spacer).

Romer
01-14-2008, 02:23 PM
PRECISION, why would you want to go Precision?

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 02:32 PM

Why wouldn't he is the question? :confused:

Romer
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Why wouldn't he is the question?

Matt had asked me what I would recommend and I told him Precision. That's what I am running as well.

Just trying to give him a mid-afternoon increase in metabolism :D

nakman
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Hooray, gears! You're going to love it.

Romer
01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Lesson learned. Make sure you use the red FPIG (or equiv) in addition to the gasket. Both of mine leaked and Ben, Dan and others said I should have used that. With FPIG, no leaks for me.

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Matt had asked me what I would recommend and I told him Precision. That's what I am running as well.

OIC! Sounded like you were dissing Precision. :rolleyes: :thumb::thumb: Right on Matt! :cool:

Romer
01-14-2008, 03:12 PM
OIC! Sounded like you were dissing Precision. :rolleyes: :thumb::thumb: Right on Matt! :cool:

No they are the best and worth the extra money.

I had this picture in my mind of Matt sitting at his computer, his eyes getting wide with panic and thinking "Did I buy the right gears" . I was watching closely for his reply.

I owe'd him, but I'll collect another way :hill:

sleeoffroad
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
FWIW, Precision is just the house brand from Reider Racing, just like Yukon is the house brand for Randy's. We have seen slightly better quality from Precision, but you should be aware that there is no manufacturer called Precision.

Shark Bait
01-14-2008, 04:52 PM
He's sending me the Precision Gears at the $679 price (not including the carrier bearings and solid spacer).

Is that for both sets? :D

corsair23
01-14-2008, 05:39 PM
My bank account is rapidly becoming depleted. :(:eek:

That reminds me...You still owe me 5 bucks :D

I can take the gears in exchange though if you'd like :hill:

Seriously though...Before you put 35's on that beast I'd like to feel the difference between your rig on 33s and 4.88s and mine on 33s (oops, 35s :thumb:) and stock gears.

FJBen
01-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I really like the difference of a rig on 35's and 4.88's as opposed to stock gears. It was very evident on the highway when coming up on hills in cruise control it didn't struggle at all. Maintained speed nicely. I'm sure offroad will be MUCH better as well.

I wouldn't want stock gears and 35's on an 80 anymore.

It's not like it's a rocket but my judgement is skewed as my 40 with the TBI 350 and 37's was actually pretty fast.

Hulk
01-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Oh crap! I thought that's what you told me YOU had??????

Whew! :lol:

Lesson learned. Make sure you use the red FPIG (or equiv) in addition to the gasket. Both of mine leaked and Ben, Dan and others said I should have used that. With FPIG, no leaks for me.

Good to know. Is this a Toyota-specific product, or can I get it at Checker? Or Napa?

FWIW, Precision is just the house brand from Reider Racing, just like Yukon is the house brand for Randy's. We have seen slightly better quality from Precision, but you should be aware that there is no manufacturer called Precision.

Hey, that's good to know. JTS Diff Parts & Accessories also has their own house brand, too. Ben Ashcraft told me that he thinks their quality is comparable to Precision's. JTS was actually sold out of their house brand in the 4.88s; they do have them in the 5.29s right now.

Is that for both sets? :D

Yes sir. However, by the time I paid for the carrier bearings ($80) and solid spacer ($29), plus shipping, my bill was ~$800.

That reminds me...You still owe me 5 bucks :D

I can take the gears in exchange though if you'd like :hill:

Ummm. Do you take food stamps?

Seriously though...Before you put 35's on that beast I'd like to feel the difference between your rig on 33s and 4.88s and mine on 33s (oops, 35s :thumb:) and stock gears.

I'll be running the 4.88s with 33s for a while until I figure out my lift (and I put some more money in my Cruiser bank account). I don't have 35s for you to test, but you'll be welcome to drive it with the 4.88s and 33s.

I really like the difference of a rig on 35's and 4.88's as opposed to stock gears. It was very evident on the highway when coming up on hills in cruise control it didn't struggle at all. Maintained speed nicely. I'm sure offroad will be MUCH better as well.

That's really good to know. I was hesitating a bit, thinking maybe I should have purchased the 5.29s. Sounds like there is still decent power with 35s and 4.88s.

Shark Bait
01-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes sir. However, by the time I paid for the carrier bearings ($80) and solid spacer ($29), plus shipping, my bill was ~$800.

Ha! Maybe someday, if my ship comes in. :D

sleeoffroad
01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Good to know. Is this a Toyota-specific product, or can I get it at Checker? Or Napa?

And you call yourself a Cruiserhead :D

Form In Place Gasket, like RTV but stick to the Toyota specific ones. They really work and you will thank us when you have to ever remove it. Red and black is available for diferent applications. You want red.

Hulk
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
And you call yourself a Cruiserhead :D

Form In Place Gasket, like RTV but stick to the Toyota specific ones. They really work and you will thank us when you have to ever remove it. Red and black is available for diferent applications. You want red.

I'm just a pretender. That's why I hang out with all you real gearheads. :thumb:

Rzeppa
01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
FWIW, Precision is just the house brand from Reider Racing, just like Yukon is the house brand for Randy's. We have seen slightly better quality from Precision, but you should be aware that there is no manufacturer called Precision.That's good to know. I didn't realize all those Yukons I've used were actually Randy's. And, I didn't know Randy was a manufacturer, I had always thought they were a distributor.

cruiseroutfit
01-15-2008, 09:06 PM
That's good to know. I didn't realize all those Yukons I've used were actually Randy's. And, I didn't know Randy was a manufacturer, I had always thought they were a distributor.

Yup, Yukon is the house brand of Randy's, Sierra is the house brand of West Coast Diff, very often times they come from the same manufacture (they sub-contract and re-box). Both Randy's and WCD have their "value" lines... lower quality sets.

I would highly doubt JTS has their own "house" brand, rather the are re-boxing someone elses? Make sure they are not the value line sets.

Hulk
01-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Ooohhhh... a box came yesterday.

Shark Bait
01-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks like your #1 mechanic is already on the job! :D

Red_Chili
01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
FWIW, and not to contradict Slee who has done more diffs than most of us have even seen, but Brian at Front Range Offroad Fab has switched to "The Right Stuff" to counteract the effects of broken seals by bopping diffs on rocks.

I used Toyota Orange FIP, with a gasket (FIP both sides) on Justin's truck after orange FIP alone started to leak. No more problems.

I used The Right Stuff, with a gasket (FIP both sides) on the Chili rear after FIP alone started to leak, again, no more leak.

FWIW, Toyota Orange is all the front has, and has never leaked. Be sure your breathers are clear, this is important (for the pinion seal as well). You do have a tube taking the breather up above water level, RIGHT?

powderpig
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I like the right stuff, it is a formulation of rubber, not a rtv type stuff. It is a little more flexiable. The toyota stuff is more of a special type of RTV and is not quite as flexiable. That said, I have only used the Right stuff for engine work. Used the red fipg material for the diffs in the past. One thing is that the Right Stuff is fairly expensive(the last time I bought the stuff any way). Any how using a gasket as well is the key with what ever you do. later Robbie

Cheeseman
01-18-2008, 07:21 PM
When I regeared my 62 I learned alot about gear manufactures. Robbie did the work of course. Who else. But when I contacted local dealers they said all was out of stock. So I got on the phone and started to persue. I got ahold of the Moline gear manufacturer, hope I have there name right, and then the classes began. The off road dealer in Aurora off of 225 that Kevin knows is who got me to them. According to the factory Moline guy they are the ones who supply Precision. This guy knew exactly when new gear sets and how many were coming into the US and exactly how many were being allocated to Precision. I then got to a guy at the main Precision wharehouse, actually Reider Racing gears in Michigan. He actually said that they had my gear set but were committed to someone else who hadn't honored there committment. Money talks and I got my gear set. Otherwise I would have had to wait until Moline released them to Precision. A short version to the story but very interesting.
________
Herbal Vaporizer (http://herbalvaporizers.info)

Hulk
01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
More pics...

Convert
01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet you won't regret 4.88s gears :thumb:

Beater
01-21-2008, 07:04 AM
robbie's right on about "right stuff" you can buy it in caulking tubes as well. Ford's black sealant is very similar, and similar in cost. Remember when using "right stuff" that it is a "soft cure" product, and you can over squish it at first.

oh- and this is important. acetone and 3m green pads are your friends

j