PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners Insurance

Romer
01-16-2008, 08:25 AM
My Home owners insurance just went up 40%. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Insurance agent in the local area. I so have a wood shake roof and that has been a problem for some.

treerootCO
01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I use Farmer's Insurance Exchange, Ladonna Sheel 303-469-1778

Shark Bait
01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I am with State Farm.

nakman
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I am with State Farm.

Me too, seems pretty reasonable.

Chris
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Travelers is a good company, might not be the cheapest but buying cheap homeowners is like buying a cheap motorcycle helmet

- if you have a $2 head buy a $2 helmet. :D

RicardoJM
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I would echo the good reports on State Farm. I also had a wood shake roof. When we bought the house 6 years ago, my insurance company (Allstate) required me to have repairs/maintenance done to the shingles before the would cover the home. No big deal, I had the work done and then promptly switched to Colorado Farm Bureau Insurance because I was a bit tourqed with Allstate.

Long story, short I'm with State Farm because Colorado Farm Bureau left me hanging after a hail storm by refusing to replace my shake shingle roof when all my neighbors were getting their roofs replaced. My neigbors were mostly with State Farm, so that is how I ended up with them.

Romer
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I have been with Travlers for 10 years without a claim. The fact my bill went up 40% in one year really irks me. The uped the replacement costs on my house to something unrealistic and they said my option to change it is to get (pay myself) an appraisel of the home and send it in and they may look at it.

Red_Chili
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear that about Traveller's, I was about to recommend them.
We use an insurance agency that represents more than one company; they have been pretty good about suggesting alternatives when this sort of thing happens.

Maddmatt
01-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I've been with State Farm on everything for years. Very few claims but all handled promptly and professionally. I think about that every time I see an ad for cheaper insurance. When I lost my roof to hail a couple years ago I sent them the estimate, they cut me a check - deductible, no haggling, no problems.

wesintl
01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
not to hijack but has anyone heard about the new uninsured motorist law and companies raising rates because of it?

FJBen
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
not to hijack but has anyone heard about the new uninsured motorist law and companies raising rates because of it?

Yup, my mother in law works for an State Farm..she said basically it's going up to cover passengers outside of the family in a wreck in the event of uninsured.

So If I were shotgun in your rig Wes, and we got hit by an unisured jeeper :rolleyes: your insurance would cover you and not me...but NOW, they changed it to have coverage for you, your family and passengers in the car.

I'm with State farm and happy. The roof deal from what I understand from her, (the mil) is that on those wood shingles is that they cover them, but in the event of a claim, you only get cash value.

wesintl
01-16-2008, 11:22 AM
good to know but fawk me. each vehicle going up $120+ is retarded. I'm going to be calling around for car ins. I might have to sell some **** off.

Romer
01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
good to know but fawk me. each vehicle going up $120+ is retarded. I'm going to be calling around for car ins. I might have to sell some **** off.

You have two drivers so the rest of your evhicles should be characterized as Recreational with them.

I am getting a qoute from Sate Farm and if I like it, I may ask them to qoute Auto as well.

Thanks for the tip

MDH33
01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I Have a new policy with Travelers and i thought it was pretty good. I was able to group my vehicles into the combined policy as well. I had Travelers for renters insurance before, and AIG for the autos. With everything on Travelers, I am saving over 300 per year and have better coverage on everything.

Romer
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Hmm State Farm was more than Travelers.

wesintl
01-16-2008, 11:51 AM
rapid inflation... economy going to hell quick :eek:

:D

Chris
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I have been with Travlers for 10 years without a claim. The fact my bill went up 40% in one year really irks me. The uped the replacement costs on my house to something unrealistic and they said my option to change it is to get (pay myself) an appraisel of the home and send it in and they may look at it.

Those damned actuaries! Running the numbers and making the underwriters take the heat! :blah: :blah: :blah:

Your neighbors house values are to blame! :lmao:

corsair23
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM
We have had Allstate (Carol Bolanda) for about 11 years on our homes (and I had other stuff with her before that) and I've had good luck...No real claims though but our rates have been pretty stable...

Can't hurt to call and see what the rates would be. You could mention my name but I doubt it would help :hill:

corsair23
01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Yup, my mother in law works for an State Farm..she said basically it's going up to cover passengers outside of the family in a wreck in the event of uninsured.

Hey, ask your mom what's up with the decrease in rates that we were all supposed to get awhile back (2-3 yrs?) when the insurance laws were changed in CO. Something to do with medical or something IIRC. From what I could tell, the companies dropped this off, saved the $$, rates didn't change, and then they started charging for a different deal to cover what was lost. So if anything rates went UP, not down. Thank you Colorado politicians :rant:

Red_Chili
01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Hmm State Farm was more than Travelers.
They heard about your new wheels.

From the spammers! :hill:

RockRunner
01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
State Farm Ron Roberts, same agent and company since I was 16. They have always taken care of me whether it was my truck or home. Rates went up a little after three totalled vehicles but not 40%.

Can't say what they would do for you but our family is happy with him.

PS first time I actually endorsed him in any way...................feels good!

timmbuck2
01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
State Farm for years...no problems

RockRunner
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM

I was explained this for the Uninsured part. used to be you paid it on each vehicle you owned, now you can have it on one and it will cover all your vehicles. If you have three trucks and carry it on two it doubles your coverage, it stacks it basically.

We have 250/500 but carry it on two so now we have 500/1 mill. it covers our three trucks the two motorcycles and my quad. we now have better coverage and actually save money. 1st truck was $120 and the second I believe $75. This is great for us but if you only have one truck it sort of sucks.

Hope this makes sense.

ScaldedDog
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
The roof deal from what I understand from her, (the mil) is that on those wood shingles is that they cover them, but in the event of a claim, you only get cash value.

Exactly, and the effect of this is that if the roof is over about 7 years old (assuming 15% depreciation, which is the sample number State Farm used with me), then you get to buy your own roof if a hail storm hits. Also, the premiums are higher, even though the coverage is crappy, because of the increased fire hazard.

We're in the process of buying a house with a 16yo shake roof. When it's time for replacement, I'll be buying composite.

BTW, I've been with State Farm for many years, with no complaints. Katie Riley is our agent.

Mark

corsair23
01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Speaking of roofs...

If anyone needs a contact for roof replacement let me know. My co-worker's son has a roofing business. Might save you guys some :twocents: maybe...

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Speaking of roofs...

If anyone needs a contact for roof replacement let me know. My co-worker's son has a roofing business. Might save you guys some :twocents: maybe...

Does he rebuild them too?

corsair23
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Does he rebuild them too?

Ummm, don't know :confused:

I don't know much about roofs :hill: - but I can ask if you want