PDA

View Full Version : computer tech

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
installed a new writeable dvd drive in place of a busted one (e:). when unhooking it, i also unhooked the other drive (d:). now, my computer doesn't show either drive existing. how can i get the computer to search for them?

edit, i did try add hardware, but computer still didn't find them

Romer
01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
So how did you hook it up.

I will guess that you hooked this up via an IDE cable. Thats the ribbon cable that comes from the motherboard.

The IDE port the cable is tied to will have an option for a Master and Slave on the same Cable. If you have both set as master or both set as slave, neither will show up.

On some computers you have to go to BIOS settings (press delete when booting) to set up an IDE drive, some you do not.

Could also be a driver issue. Your running windows XP, did the box say XP compatible?

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
i am running xp. when i got it at microcenters, i told the salesman that. he said this would plug right in and that all the settings should be correct.

it is connected by the ribbon cable. there were two originally, i unhooked one and removed one. installed new one in place of removed one, plugged both in and hooked computer back up.

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
found both drives in device manager and properties on both show they are working properly, but my computer still doesn't show them.

Romer
01-16-2008, 09:51 PM
how many things are on that one cable? If you have two items on their they both could be set as master or one cable select (C/S) and the other not. If the other drive is not your hardrive, I would disconnect it from the ribbon cable and see if thet does anything. If it recognizes it, its likely a master/slave cable issue and you need to look at the jumpers on the back of each drive.

If it doesn't recognzie it, I would go into Control Pannel and click add a device and see if it finds it, if not try and do a manual look

Also, in Control Panel, you need to get to Device Manager, might be in System . Open that up and see if there are any X or yellow marks on any devices.

Romer
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
found both drives in device manager and properties on both show they are working properly, but my computer still doesn't show them.

Ok your ahead of me. Might not be the right driver though. Have you tried a google search or using the microsoft web site?

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok your ahead of me. Might not be the right driver though. Have you tried a google search or using the microsoft web site?

huh?

Romer
01-16-2008, 09:56 PM
huh?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=windows+xp+cant+see+drive

Romer
01-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Did the drive come with a driver disk or CD? Might be the driver and thats why it can't see it.

If you can't get it to work in the next few days, I'll drop up and take a look at it for you.

Past my bed time now

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
computer originally came with a dvdrom and a rewriteable. the rewriteable puked. if that's what you're asking

Romer
01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
computer originally came with a dvdrom and a rewriteable. the rewriteable puked. if that's what you're asking

No, what I am asking is there a floppy or CD ROM/DVD that came in the box with the new drive? That would be a disk with new drivers.

Did you follow the install manual or just plug it in ?

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
no programs came with it. no manuals...no nothing.

Shark Bait
01-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Dumb question, but have you rebooted your system?

Romer
01-16-2008, 10:09 PM
The only thing I would try is to unplug the other drive, both power and the cable and see what happens.

Wondering if your BIOS settings are enabled for a master and slave on that IDE port. Did you check the BIOS settings?

Good luck Ige

Romer
Oh, make sure you power down before disconnecting anything :D

RockRunner
Ige. go to my computer and right click on it
then click on manage
click on disk management
Your C drive should show up and then there should be two more.
Your D drive may most likely need to be formatted and a new drive letter assinged
Your E drive should just need to have a new drive letter assigned to.

I can call you if you want and remote onto your system to help you.
Give me your number is you need it, can,t call me wife asleep already.

Shark Bait
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
That was going to be my next suggestion. Unplug the new drive, power back up and see if you can at least see the other drive.

nuclearlemon
01-16-2008, 10:22 PM
going to bed now...getting tired. still recovering from a long day yesterday. only drives that show up in disk management are c and f (external harddrive). will try unplugging stuff tomorrow. thanks all.

RockRunner
01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Cool, you can call me at work tomorrow and I can try and help. Just PM me.

leiniesred
01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
get a Macintosh.

(I'm a darksider in the IT world too)
Sure, I administer Windoze networks all day, but I've had a macintosh in the house since 1989.

Ige: If the device shows up in "device mangler," then it should certainly show up in "my computer" with a drive letter under "devices with Removable Storage." Mirocenter does service what they sell, or bring it by my place in A-town. We'll getcha fixed up in a jif. You can play with the Macintosh while you wait or you can assemble the transmisison for my MR2-Spyder!

nuclearlemon
01-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Cool, you can call me at work tomorrow and I can try and help. Just PM me.

won't get to work on it til late tonight. working til 6, then have to get stuff ready to go pick up a cruiser tomorrow.

nuclearlemon
01-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Ige: If the device shows up in "device mangler," then it should certainly show up in "my computer" with a drive letter under "devices with Removable Storage." !

shows in device manager under disk drives, but only things in my computer are c drive, f drive, scanner deal, my docs, guests docs, shared docs, and maybe something before c drive, but i don't remember.

may have to take it to micro centers, but no money now. it does need to be gone through though, cause it's getting f'n slow, and for some reason gmail won't load on it anymore.:confused:

Romer
01-17-2008, 09:10 AM
won't get to work on it til late tonight. working til 6, then have to get stuff ready to go pick up a cruiser tomorrow.

Did you buy another one:eek:

nuclearlemon
01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Did you buy another one:eek:

no, but i'll be saving the residuals :D

although, i can't get that little white stout out of my mind

Shark Bait
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
although, i can't get that little white stout out of my mind

Any idea how much they wanted for that thing? :D

nuclearlemon
01-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Any idea how much they wanted for that thing? :D

no, was planning on asking them tomorrow, but i'm not going there tomorrow now, so i guess next week

Shark Bait
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
It might be fun to clean it up and paint it and drop a better engine in it. :D

Hulk
01-17-2008, 12:06 PM
shows in device manager under disk drives, but only things in my computer are c drive, f drive, scanner deal, my docs, guests docs, shared docs, and maybe something before c drive, but i don't remember.

You may just need to assign a drive letter. I've had this happen.

nuclearlemon
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM

except, won't be that easy....engine tranny, xfer, axles and steering shaft are already going to be going on other rigs.

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM

This thread should be in chat! ;) :bolt: :lmao: