PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want $5K to go?

Red_Chili
01-18-2008, 09:48 AM
From Ed Self of Wildland Restoration Volunteers - they work on Left Hand Canyon, and note who their competition is. I think it is safe to say we would prefer WLRV get the money!
From Brant Wobig of the CCRD:
Just wanted to spread the word about this opportunity to cast your vote on
the most deserving group. We(Forest Service) work regularly with Wildland
Restorations Volunteers and feel like they are a very good organization and
have helped with many public lands projects. Each candidate has a link on
the website below for you to review. I don't know anything about the other
groups so peruse and cast a vote if you wish. Feel free to pass this on to
others as you see fit. Thanks.

Brant Wobig
Clear Creek RD
Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forest
Idaho Springs, CO
(303) 567-3022
----- Forwarded by Brant D Wobig/R2/USDAFS on 01/18/2008 07:59 AM -----

edself@wlrv.org

01/17/2008 02:51 To
PM pturecek@fs.fed.us
cc

Subject
Help Wildlands Restoration
Volunteers receive $5000 with your
simple vote

Greetings,

I'm writing to ask a simple favor. With your simple anonymous vote for
Wildlands Restoration Volunteers in a Boulder contest, you can help us
receive a $5000 donation to support the 30+ exciting restoration projects
WRV has planned in 2008.

Patagonia is opening a store in Boulder at 1212 Pearl St. They want to
give something back to the community while raising awareness of their store
opening. Patagonia set up a contest where you can vote anonymously online
for one of five pre-selected organizations. Of course, we hope you'll vote
for WRV!!!
Wildlands Restoration Volunteers
Eco•cycle
Prairie Dog Coalition
Rock the Earth
Thorne Ecological Institute

The organization with the most votes by March 29, wins the $5000. The
voting is easy and anonymous. It takes 3 clicks and seconds of your time.
Go to http://www.patagonia.com/boulder. (http://www.patagonia.com/boulder) Look for the brown voting box on
the right side.

SPREAD THE WORD
PLEASE invite your friends and colleagues to vote for WRV, because $5000
would go a long way toward supporting our programs.

BACKGROUND ABOUT WRV
WRV organizes over 30 volunteer projects per year, involving 20 to 120
volunteers each. Since 1999, we have completed a diverse range of over 140
projects involving thousands of volunteers, who have contributed over $1.7
Million in volunteer time toward the care of Colorado public lands.

We restore streams and wetlands, restore wildlife habitat, build or
maintain trails, obliterate old roads, restore areas burned by wildfire,
remove invasive weeds, and much more. We work from the low land prairie up
to high alpine country. Each year, our work improves and/or protects
thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, prevents severe soil erosion from
numerous causes, improves water quality in our Colorado streams, helps to
prevent wildfires, enhances recreational trails, and so much more.

But honestly, the greatest impact of our work reaches beyond the thousands
of hours of volunteer labor on the ground. WRV provides skills, education,
tools, and a vision of hope that catalyzes people to fall in love with
places and realize that they can work together to restore those places and
make a real difference in the world.

Happy voting!
Ed Self
Executive Director

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2515 East Sterling Circle, Suite 201
Boulder, CO 80301
303-543-1411
edself@wlrv.org
www.wlrv.org (http://www.wlrv.org/)

nuclearlemon
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
link is typed correct, but doesn't link correct. if you click it you'll come up with a bunch of stuff after boulder in the address, just delete everything after boulder and it works. wlrv is in second place right now.

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 10:07 AM
link is typed correct, but doesn't link correct. if you click it you'll come up with a bunch of stuff after boulder in the address, just delete everything after boulder and it works. wlrv is in second place right now.

Just voted and it looks like they are in third place, only 28% vs 39% for first.

Hulk
01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Just voted from work. I can probably vote again tonight from home, with a different IP address.

leiniesred
01-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Voted. 2nd place still but 30% vs 38%. We're making a difference?

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 11:16 AM
i had some of my office mates vote too, we are making up ground.

Romer
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
voted

corsair23
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
done...

We're only down by about 40 votes right now. Spread the word folks :)

Uncle Ben
01-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Done...we're catching quick! 31% vrs 32% ! VOTE!

Speaking of WLRV......check out the new posted thread.... :thumb:

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Bill, I had our whole area vote for us. After that I went to the server team, another 35 votes. I think all in all we got about 50-60 votes from LMSSC, were in the lead!!

Jacket
01-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Two more here: its 579 - 547 in favor of WRV

timmbuck2
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
600 - 562, in the lead!!! Ricardo and I both voted at work and home.

RockRunner
01-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Still a long way to go, voting ends March 29th. Try voting once a week or so if you can if you are on a DHCP system, your IP will change and a new vote is counted. Even if you have Comcast it changes but not sure how often. I just vote from every system I log onto during the day;-)

Rogue Leader
01-18-2008, 06:50 PM
just voted 658 to 625. i want the praire dog coalition to win. they're so cute and cuddly:)

bh4rnnr
01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Just voted. There in 1st place, at 33%.

corsair23
01-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Just voted from home and we're down now by 11 votes :( (697 to 708)

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
just voted again today and we are behind 34 votes!

corsair23
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
just voted again today and we are behind 34 votes!

Might have to start laying low and make the opposition think they have it in the bag so they slow down recruiting votes....Then on the 28th/29th get the votes in big time to pull out the win :D

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Might have to start laying low and make the opposition think they have it in the bag so they slow down recruiting votes....Then on the 28th/29th get the votes in big time to pull out the win :D

I'm no longer a member of Colo4x4 (and have no desire to be associated with it!) but posting the link along with a reminder that they are the ones who have helped us save Left Hand through revegitation might just get the surge to get ahead with a comfortable lead!

nakman
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Wow, neck & neck...

Uncle Ben
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Hello Kevin,

Thanks to everyone who has cast their vote for Wildlands Restoration Volunteers--over 1400 so far! It’s a close race, but we're slightly behind first place. It's so gratifying to watch dozens of votes coming in per minute some of the time. Many people said they forwarded to all their friends or their entire company or posted on their club website or posted it on their myspace page. Wow, what creativity!

Now, imagine 100,000 people or more learning about the five fine organizations in this contest! Remember the concept of six degrees of separation? Are you curious to see just how far this could go?

THE BASICS
Patagonia is opening a store in Boulder, Colorado. They set up a contest where you can vote anonymously online for one of five organizations. The organization with the most votes by March 29 wins $5000. Voting requires three clicks and seconds of your time.

Vote at http://www.patagonia.com/boulder or monitor the status of the contest.

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES
Of course, Wildlands Restoration Volunteers would love to win the $5000 prize and use it to restore public lands in Colorado. HOWEVER, the real potential of this contest is to tell 10,000, or 100,000 or maybe a million people about the exciting work of these five fantastic organizations. That’s far more important than the prize!

* Wildlands Restoration Volunteers: healing the land, building community—connecting people with nature as we restore and protect our beloved public lands
* Eco•cyle: working to build zero waste communities
* Thorne Ecological Institute: bringing nature to life for kids
* Rock the Earth: connecting music with environmental conservation
* Prairie Dog Coalition: protecting imperiled prairie dogs and restoring their ecosystems

HOW YOU CAN HELP

* Forward this email (or a summary) to all your friends, family and co-workers.
* Invite them to get caught up in the excitement of this contest and tell their friends.
* Post this contest on lists, blogs, MySpace, FaceBook, your website, etc…
* Maybe even make a funny video about it for YouTube.
* The sky is the limit!

You know how the internet is. Things can explode in popularity if enough people get excited about it.

WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT WILDLANDS RESTORATION VOLUNTEERS
Wildlands Restoration Volunteers organizes over 30 volunteer projects per year in northern Colorado. We restore streams and wetlands, restore wildlife habitat, build or maintain trails, obliterate old roads, restore wildfire damage, restore low land prairie and high alpine tundra, remove invasive weeds, and more. Each year, our work improves and/or protects thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, prevents severe soil erosion from numerous causes, improves water quality in our Colorado streams, helps to prevent wildfires, enhances recreational trails, and so much more.

Since 1999, we have completed a diverse range of over 140 projects involving many thousands of volunteers, who have contributed over $1.7 Million in volunteer time toward the restoration and stewardship of Colorado public lands.

But honestly, the greatest impact of our work reaches beyond the thousands of hours of volunteer labor on the ground. WRV is all about people—building community and connecting people with nature in deeply satisfying ways. WRV provides skills, education, tools, and a vision of hope that catalyzes people to fall in love with places and realize that they can work together to restore and protect those places and make a real difference in the world.

To learn more about our volunteer opportunities, trainings, and see thousands of great photos of our volunteers in action, see our website at www.wlrv.org.

VOTE COUNTING
Many people have been asking us how the votes are counted, thinking someone could just vote over and over. Actually, the voting website remembers that you voted on your computer, so you’ll only be counted once no matter how many times you click “vote.” If the tally appears to go down, just refresh or re-open your browser and you’ll see the correct tally.

THANK YOU
to Patagonia for their community-minded generosity in setting up this fun contest and selecting WRV to participate.

Happy voting!

Ed Self
Executive Director

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2515 East Sterling Circle, Suite 201

Boulder, CO 80301

303-543-1411

www.wlrv.org

Red_Chili
01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Prairie Dog Coalition: protecting imperiled prairie dogs and restoring their ecosystems
Because... we need the target practice?

Sorry... couldn't resist. Amazingly, Wyoming has no imperiled prairie dogs. Why, just cross the state line and they become vermin, no small game license even needed.

YMMV, IMHO, etc. etc., but the designation of the prairie dog as 'at-risk' in Colorado has made a lot of people very jaded about species protection, even where it is absolutely needed. I for one would be glad to see the PDC come in last place.

OK, take your shot.

nakman
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Won't get any flak from me Bill. I can't believe the little buggers are climbing in the polls though. Everyone go vote again!

Uncle Ben
01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Did anyone post this up on Colorado4x4.org yet? I no longer am a member and have no immediate plans on joining again.....

Red_Chili
01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
It would get nothing but flak...

Uncle Ben
01-31-2008, 05:12 PM
The burrowing rats have us by 13%! :(