PDA

View Full Version : What the...(!)

subzali
01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I was taking apart my knuckles to use the fancy dancy centering tool that TJ loaned me and all the sudden I start seeing loose rollers falling down through the axle housing. When I pulled the top steering arms/bearing caps it took the inner race with it! Anyone have this happen before? Now I gotta figure out how to get the race off the steering arm...

What? :confused:

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I was taking apart my knuckles to use the fancy dancy centering tool that TJ loaned me and all the sudden I start seeing loose rollers falling down through the axle housing. When I pulled the top steering arms/bearing caps it took the inner race with it! Anyone have this happen before? Now I gotta figure out how to get the race off the steering arm...

A little bit of heat on the race and it will slide easily off the pin! You didn't have enough preload on the bearings!

Red_Chili
01-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Just think how fine it will handle when you get it back together! :thumb:

PatrolMan
01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
This did happen to one side of my brothers 85. Took an angle grinder to the rest of the race and cut it into 2 piece with a steady hand.

subzali
01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Hm...so it didn't have enough preload, wobbled around and made enough clearance so that the cage just pulled out of the race? At least I get to see how bearings are assembled now!

nuclearlemon
01-20-2008, 12:04 AM
not enough shims. got it too tight and forced it in too far.

Uncle Ben
01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
not enough shims. got it too tight and forced it in too far.

How can you compress steel Ige?

nuclearlemon
01-20-2008, 12:21 AM
How can you compress steel Ige?

pressed the dowel like section too far into the bearing. i've done that twice before :doh:

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I try to get things pressed together as tight as possible, then shim for bearing preload via a pull gauge... :confused:
Otherwise, it will loosen in short order ... ???

PabloCruise
01-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Bummer Dood!

I am guessing this has something to do with why your seals failed so quickly...