PDA

View Full Version : It's a BOY!!

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
One thing I learned upon losing Anna, I need a Sheltie in my life or Daddy ain't happy. Much less Mama.

Half an hour ago he had no name, and his forever home was unknown.

Now he is Akadia Try Baby Try, callname Ty:

He is by the number 5 Sheltie in the country, out of a champion producing bitch. He is going to pet/performance due to being most likely undersize, probably 12 1/2" or 13" at maturity. Gonna give Agility a try with him.

He is probably the cutest little furbaby Sheltie I have ever seen. You can tell he is small when compared to his blue merle brother, who my wife wants - but she is second in line for him.

Uh... insert obligatory 4x4 content here:
The breeders are into 4x4ing in the mountains of Idaho, and her husband is into old Powerwagons:

Romer
01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Congrats Bill. For a minute there I thought Squishy . . . oh never mind

Cute pup. Its hard to beat a new puppy.

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Squishy (Justin) better not! One thing I learned by rolling my truck: keep the equipment stowed.

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Great to hear Bill, looks like he is a character already...........

Size doesn't matter, they make up for it in different ways.

Sharon says " how cute, he should take them both!!!!" There is a thought?????

bh4rnnr
01-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Good looking pup there Bill! Congrats!:beer::beer:

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Great to hear Bill, looks like he is a character already...........

Size doesn't matter, they make up for it in different ways.

Sharon says " how cute, he should take them both!!!!" There is a thought?????
Working that angle... another person is first in line for the Blue, but Carrie wants him bad... His personality is more of a companion dog, which is ideal for her. When she is doing her aggregate leaf sculptures, she spends a lot of time outdoors, at her mom's place. Just a little fencing over there, and they could play together all day under her supervision.
Perfect situation.

In fact, in this case size DOES matter - he would be strictly going to a showing owner if he were 'in size'. He is a remarkable dog. Notice how the redeye removal left his eyes a bit 'blue' looking? Every single picture, he is looking the person right in the eyes. Not in an alpha way, but responsive. The breeder says this is something she looks for when selecting a dog for obedience and agility, which she shows and scores in. I've never done that but I love watching it, and Anna was never appropriate for it. Ty is. And being small, he will compete against slower dogs in his size class. Bonus for me (makes up for owner shortcomings... :lmao:)

She has never had a puppy with coats like these boys. You should see the dad... :eek: Stunning. Remember, these are ten week old puppies. Never seen Sheltie babies look like this.

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 02:29 PM
i know what you mean about size in that way, my parents got a Pekingese from a top breeder in Holland. He was going to euthanize the guy because his nose was 2 mm to short to be a SHOW dog. My parents got him because they did not care about showing him.

He lived to be 16, amazing on its own, lost both eyes in dog fights before being 5 years old. Was run over twice by cars, broke each hip, had rods in both. Till the day he died, his way, he ran the household. We had three cats, two more dogs an Amazon Parrot, they all tip toed around him. Never ran into furniture, moved it sometimes, when running to the dogie door.

Size does not matter in life just when showing dogs......................I rather have them laying next to me with a grin on both our faces.

Enjoy your new dogie (S) ;-)

wesintl
01-20-2008, 02:41 PM
dogs rule :thumb:

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 05:38 PM
YUP! They do. I like our cat, Miss Kitty, just fine... she is a member of the family... but she is a cat.
Our big neighbor tom is part Labrador Retriever and a talker, I like that aspect of him better (he hunts me down to jump in my arms), but he is still a cat.
...He was going to euthanize the guy because his nose was 2 mm to short to be a SHOW dog. My parents got him because they did not care about showing him.

That is a crime. They don't do that stateside...

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 07:15 PM
That is a crime. They don't do that stateside...

You would be surprised what they do, the puppy mills here are terrible. Since my parents and I have a Dogie store, food and supplies, we have been overwhelmed with people wanting to sell puppies through us.

We visited some here in CO and most were fine but two we went to got turned in to the state. We decided not to sell animals as there are enough people who do that. We sell healthy food that is part organic or freshly made. We also carry some of the better known brands but only the good stuff. When that dog food scare came we did not have to pull ANY food since none of our food was made with any of those ingredients.

Can't wait to see the little furball in person :thumb:

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh, puppy mills were not what I had in mind when I said that. Showdog breeders were. Puppy mills... don't get me started. I saw one this week who presented herself as a breeder of championship lined dogs... she is a cattle person who treats dogs like livestock. Unsanitary, crowded, and her bitch is working on developing an anxiety disorder or my name ain't Red Chili. And she bred a Blue Merle to a Sable, which is NOT done for genetic reasons, and ... and... OK breathe in, breathe out...

So you do dog stuff, eh? We must speak, suh.

Can't wait to see the little furball in person
You and me both. It will be at least a week.

Red_Chili
01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
By the way... the other people wanted the Blue. So my wife was not as fortunate as I... :(

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Bummer, give me a call when ever. We have some great foods for pups and adult dogs, even some for cats.

corsair23
01-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Beautiful new puppy Bill :thumb:

I love shelties :) - We've had several over the years and they were all great companions. Currently I'm saddled with a schizophrenic Bichon Frise that is afraid of his own shadow...My sister-in-law decided to buy the dog for my oldest daughter for her birthday without asking us...Much like they did on the pony they bought as well :rant:

Beater
01-21-2008, 06:55 AM
dude - I would have loaned ya skyler any day.... or week, or month

(just kidding)

congrats

Red_Chili
01-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Took off to Idaho with Tramontana who graciously (no, way MORE than graciously) offered to co-drive just for the heck of it. Boz is a very generous person and very good company.

I-80 was a terror. We had winds up to 50mph from the SW, and saw a dozen jack-knifed semis, and maybe a dozen vehicles off in the snow in the median and shoulder, several rolled and rather nasty. One had two ambulances. Just giving the Taco slight throttle resulted in sideways motion. Once we neared Rock Springs though, it was smooth (if long) sailing to Idaho.

Picked up Ty, got the run through of shots and other particulars, got the tour of old Powerwagons (he has some really really COOL Powerwagons, a flatfender Willys, an old M something or other Jeep, an Army Mule vehicle, and a great shop area with a waste-oil burning wood stove). Met all her dogs, including Ty's dad Deuce, who is an incredible dog and not usually interested in people much - of course, I had to rise to the challenge, and started scratching his chest, which had him putty in my hands and suddenly lost interest in anything else. He figured I was pretty OK as people go.

One of her dogs has a thing for chasing laser pointers. Really funny. Her cats play with the puppies and that will work out well for Ty and our Miss Kitty. Her other dogs jump into their two-tier kennel crates in the heated garage just by opening the doors. They are all like a bunch of kids in dog suits, all smart, and all very good natured.

Dinner with them at the sub shop had us discussing the incoming storm, and memories of I-80 had me thinking return routes and timing. We decided to drive through the night and beat the storm, and since I-80 had a high wind warning (as opposed to what we drove through? :eek:) starting at 2AM, I-70 was looking better all the time. So that is what we did.

1500 miles in 30 hours will wear a boy out for sure. We traded driving and did it safely though.

After one afternoon home, Ty is quickly getting the 'potty outside' thing. He learned tricks, played enthusiastically with everyone, endeared my wife and kids to himself, and is enthusiastically eating - he didn't seem to need an adjustment period and doesn't cry through the night (kenneled in our bedroom of course), and seems to be a very well-settled, confident social dog.

Well worth being picky about where to get him! :thumb:
Sincerely,
-Stoked New Dad!

Hulk
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a cool trip! Congrats on the new member of your family!

corsair23
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Awesome Bill...Glad you made it up and back safely with that little bundle of joy :thumb: