PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust in the transmission, coal dust in the diff

nakman
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Yup, I've been learnin' up on Scouts. Was reading through some Old timer auto tricks (http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=974) tonight. So in addition to pepper in the radiator, I've learned that sawdust goes in to a manual transmission, and coal dust goes into the diff.

Also to get oil in a diff without making a mess put the oil in a plastic bag inside then shut the cover.

I never stop learning, I tell ya.. and just what I need another forum. :rolleyes:

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I actually read the oil in the diff part. They say that the bag just disintegrates once you start driving. Makes sense plus it was oil once in its life.

Romer
01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Also to get oil in a diff without making a mess put the oil in a plastic bag inside then shut the cover.

Gary told Ige that trick. She learned from it alright

bskey
01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Very interesting stuff. These types of tricks are always helpful!

Beater
01-21-2008, 08:00 AM
you on binderbench yet?

remember, I used to have a 59 b130 pickup.

j

nakman
01-21-2008, 09:26 AM
you on binderbench yet?

remember, I used to have a 59 b130 pickup.

j

Is that the same as Bindertech? If so then yeah, I've been poking around there quite a bit lately. Only from home though, thanks to big brother Sonicwall :rant:

leiniesred
01-21-2008, 09:36 AM
One Day, we were up wheelin' and the Scout in the bunch blew a radiator hose. We fixed it, but needed water. A girl and I took off up over the ridge with all the containers we could rustle up and filled them at a small stream. She was a little less than careful and was simply scooping up rocks, sand, and general muck with the water.

We just dumped it in the scout's radiator. No big deal. It's an AG Engine (agricultural).
Off We go! So you can add "Mud and sand" to the list of normal "scout additives."

Here is some cool Scout/Toyota Trivia: The Scout engine block actually has a HIGHER nickel content than even a Toyota Engine! (Hence the LONG engine life)

Maddmatt
01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Sawdust in the transmission. That's how Barney (or was it Goober) got taken advantage of when buying a used car from a nice old lady out by Mt. Pilot. Drove like a dream until he got it home, then started missing shifts. Nothing good every happens when you leave Mayberry for Mt. Pilot, there's a lesson there somewhere.

And they say you don't learn anything from watching TV. I wonder what I could know if that bit of trivia wasn't taking up space.
-Matt

nuclearlemon
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
don't try the diff thing with hot oil in a thin plastic bag. sharp ring gear teeth like plastic bags :rolleyes: