PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you winch owners...

Hulk
01-21-2008, 01:10 AM
How many of you have relocated your control box to under the hood? It seems to me that with a little work, I could gain some weather protection for this vulnerable equipment.

Also, how many of you have taken the time to wire up something so that your winch controls are on the dashboard?

ScaldedDog
01-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Also, how many of you have taken the time to wire up something so that your winch controls are on the dashboard?

I did this after having to fool around fetching my winch control one too many time last year.

Mark

Romer
01-21-2008, 08:34 AM
My control box is outside.

I have thought about wiring it up inside the cabin. I have seen people who use the rear hater switch. I would think tou would want an on and off switch (Relay basically) so you wouldn't accidently bump the control on the dash. With the cable, your only going to have the control on and enabled when your going to use the winch. Just a thought!

J Kimmel
01-21-2008, 08:39 AM
dont see a need, its designed to be in the elements :shrug:

leiniesred
01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Mine has been in the elements for most of it's life. A few years out of the elements when I had it on a receiver mount. Still have the original solenoids in it.

powderpig
01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
The newer soliniods are sealed well against the elements. so not much to worry about there either. The winch is more likely the problem over time. It still needs service from time to time, a once a year check, Make sure the grease is OK. Or it requires oil, a oil change.

RockRunner
01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Talk to Chili he has his wired to the dash. There is a guy on Mud who sells kits to do that, pretty sweet set up but a little pricey for me right now. Wiring it under your hood is easy as long as you have room. Expedition Portal has some pics under the Toyota link

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Hulk
01-21-2008, 10:26 AM
The winch is more likely the problem over time. It still needs service from time to time, a once a year check, Make sure the grease is OK. Or it requires oil, a oil change.

So I should remove the winch from my bumper and service it? Before I installed it, I downloaded the M12000 Operator's Manual from Warn.com, and it said that no lube was required. See attached image from the manual.

Let me know if I need to service this beast. I don't want it to crap out on me!

powderpig
01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
No Matt you do not need to service it now, but in the future. My statement is with what goes wrong with them over time. Sorry I did not reference that. That statement is not as accurate as it could be. If you are driving in rain a lot, Mag cloride is not our friend either that is on our streets in winter, it will work its way into the gears, creating problems for the grease and gears. Winches are a servicable item, I do not agree with the statment in the booklet. Just my opinion and what I have seen and heard from trainers I have met.

Hulk
01-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Robbie. I need to run it for someone who owns one, and see if they think it "sounds" right. It makes more noise than I was expecting, but it seems to work just fine.

Tch2fly
01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Robbie. I need to run it for someone who owns one, and see if they think it "sounds" right. It makes more noise than I was expecting, but it seems to work just fine.
Hmmm we should get together, mine also sounds odd. "Rougher" than any winch I've ever had, I'm interested to hear yours.

I am planning a teardown and lube session at some point this spring.

corsair23
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
FWIW I haven't done either mod. I looked into relocating the box during initial install but for me space was an issue as would be plugging into the box once it was relocated.

I must admit though, Bill looked awfully comfy winching me from inside his cab on the snow run :D - But, the remote lead should be long enough that you can have the remote in the cab with you anyway.

After my snow run experience though I think my first mod after getting my winch working again will be a quick disconnect setup for the power to the winch.

Not to hijack your thread Matt but have you considered this? I can think of several reasons why this would be a good thing to have. Maybe a switch so you can just turn the power to the winch off entirely unless you are using it. I've read accounts of where winch power/ground cables got pinched in an accident causing undesirable consequences :eek: - Probably rare but the switch would also help with a "run away" winch :)

Beater
01-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I liked the control box out there, and with a remote, it is not worth putting it inside.

If you like, you can run a bead of silicone around the inside of the mating surfaces to help seal the lip.

PS..
robbie's right.

sleeoffroad
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Every vehicle I have had a winch on, we did interior controls. That is way easier than looking for the remote everytime. Various ways to do it. We have a circuit board that makes it easy. We also typically tie the winch into the dual battery system so that we have a choice to winch from different batteries, as well as kill power to the winch.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_switches.htm

Hulk
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Every vehicle I have had a winch on, we did interior controls. That is way easier than looking for the remote everytime. Various ways to do it. We have a circuit board that makes it easy. We also typically tie the winch into the dual battery system so that we have a choice to winch from different batteries, as well as kill power to the winch.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_switches.htm

I think I'm going to need me one of them there circuit boards. I just printed the wiring diagram.
:thumb:

nakman
01-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I've done the kill switch, you guys can check it out some time if you want. It's just a big marine switch- I leave it in the off position pretty much all the time.

Rezarf
01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Mine will scare you with how loud it is, motor whine, ratching brake thingy, wire spooling in... one of the last real machines! :D

Rezarf
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
So Matt, you got a new winch I am suspecting? :D

Hulk
01-21-2008, 03:00 PM
New to me. Details in this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5748&page=2). Scroll down for pics.

Corbet
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
my control box started it's life under the hood simply because there was no room to put it outside with the SafariGard bull bar. However I probably would have put it there anyway just to keep it away from all the mag chloride up here

My T-Max has the wireless controller so once the antenna thing is plugged in I can winch from behind the wheel if I like.

Dis-assembly of the T-Max box was kind of a pain. There is not a lot of extra space for larger cables.

Mendocino
01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Matt,

That winch always was "loud" since it was new. I always assumed it was the gears and I never had any issues with it.

Jeff