PDA

View Full Version : 90% efficient furnace for sale

Red_Chili
01-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah, no kiddin'. Only one year old.

I understand from my second heating/AC contractor (:p:), that it is a Carrier builder quality (no particular manufacturer is stamped on the panel) 90% 100K BTU single stage furnace. Works great.

The reason it was removed: the first heating/AC contractor bid a 100K furnace. He didn't realize the basement was finished (guess it was hidden somewhere on page 2 of the blueprints, where the basement was shown...duh), and I needed more capacity than 100K. So his bright idea was to put in a second furnace, I could have two heat zones, he would make me a sweetheart deal, etc. The only problem was, I now had TOO MUCH furnace, and neither was efficient as a result. I paid twice for 90% efficiency, and got ~50%.

That's where I got me some skoolin' & learnt schtuff 'bout heat. :hill: And right after that I had some heated conversations with the general, who had some with the HVAC guy. He gave me some money back (not enough) and I paid to have a 120K system put in. And ONE AC unit. DOH!

$350 to any club member. You cannot beat that with a stick. I was thinking about putting it in my garage but I don't want to run a gas line out to it just now. Come take it from my driveway! (yes, it is covered)

treerootCO
01-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I am interested. My furnace is about a week away from kicking the bucket. When you get a chance, can you post or PM me the height. Everything else I can make fit. I'll be down your way this evening as well.

Jenny Cruiser
01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
PM'd you.:)

Red_Chili
01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I am interested. My furnace is about a week away from kicking the bucket. When you get a chance, can you post or PM me the height. Everything else I can make fit. I'll be down your way this evening as well.
40.5"
I will PM ya!

thanks, Chad! If it doesn't work out for Root, it is yours.

Red_Chili
01-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Bump. Mike, lemme know when you want to pick it up - if you still want it. If not, let me know, it goes to Jenny Cruiser.

ALSO: I have a furnace that I sold to a fella, but it is coming back to me - he had a few unforeseen disasters and ran out of money :(.

It is a 100K 90% efficient Bryant furnace, $400 takes it.

It was the second furnace out of two, LOL.

[edit] DOH! I offered it to Martin in another thread, but now I realize by rights it should go to Jenny Cruiser for first refusal!
Let me know.

treerootCO
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I can probably pick it up tonight. I'll be down that way around 7:30 or so.

Red_Chili
01-29-2008, 08:44 AM
SCHWEET! That will work great. You can see the new furbaby too.

leiniesred
01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Many contractors won't touch a used furnace install. Lemme know if you need a guy who might help ya out.

He installed my used furnace and Central Air system. I got it for FREE!
My parent's neighbors in Arizona had their house get hit by lightning and lost 1 of the 2 systems in their (big) house. They opted to replace both systems even though only one got smoked. My Dad brought me the undamaged system. It was exactly the right size for my house. I figured how much wear and tear can a furnace from Scottsdale AZ get? Sure it enough, it was essentially unused. Works great!

Red_Chili
01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
JennyCruiser, Martin needs a boiler, so my oops has no effect: you are definitely next up for the second furnace. I PM'd you.

Good info, RudeBoy! FWIW, work is so slow in the HVAC world (construction stalling) they are lots less picky these days. Nonetheless, an independent guy can save you a bundle.

nakman
01-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Martin's got hot water baseboard... oh never mind I see you figured that out.

But my current furnace that sucks is in a crallspace, and blows "sideways," not up. Will one of these work in that application?

leiniesred
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Side exit vs up exit. Yeah, it'll probably work just fine. Stan fabricated a new plenum for my used install on the spot. 1 trip to the truck.

Red_Chili
01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
You can make a quick 90* turn after the heat exchanger, if you have the space for it (48"? I will have to measure). As far as putting it on its side... nope.

Still have not heard from JennyCruiser, so this item is to my knowledge still for sale. Waiting for the guy to bring it back.

Rzeppa
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Wow! I thought I was the only home-improvement-type who was not only interested in the furnace, but drawn into the thread.

My furnace is vintage 1961. I've repaired it many times. Among the things I've been thinking about over the last several years is replacing it with a more efficient one, even though the old one still works. That's a tough thing for me to do - - replace something that still works with something that - works better. Kind of like replacing my 1971 stock FJ40 with a new 2008 FJ Cruiser.

Okay, hyperventilating is over. No way will Charlotte ever be replaced. But if that furnace will work on baseboard hot water, I'm next in line. If not, it's still pretty cool to see my buds out here going after a furnace!

Red_Chili
01-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Won't work on baseboard heat (gas forced air...), but we have a flash water heater, and I was intrigued to learn folks are using them as replacements for boilers. Fraction of the price, and they only use gas when it is needed. Just a thought.